Author Topic: Carrier captain relieved of command over COVID  (Read 14825 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Carrier captain relieved of command over COVID
« on: April 02, 2020, 08:28:24 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/navy-expected-relieve-captain-who-raised-alarm-about-covid-19-n1175351

When I read the communique from the TR's captain, I thought to myself that he could kiss flag rank goodbye.  Now he has been relieved of his command.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
Re: Carrier captain relieved of command over COVID
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 09:17:57 PM »
Saw that coming from a mile away.

bob

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 09:40:39 PM »
Of course Facebook is lit up with Trump relived him of command didn't like him doing this. I don't have the energy to explain to anyone that what the Cap't did is not military protocol.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 10:18:04 PM »
Don't know how the Navy does business, but I'd think if one of our warships was all hemmed up with the Commie Cough, we'd want to keep that information on the DL.  :facepalm:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:32:42 PM »
Wasn't the letter, it was the way it came out. I think the decision to take sailors off in Guam is dumb, the island might tip over. But really, Andersen AFB only has so many hospital beds and how about not bring a bunch of disease ashore. TR was my first ship, same for Eric Tank. My memories of boat crud are fond. Makes me wonder if I would be a Wu-Tang flu casualty, my over developed immune system from six cruises of crud would probably go to plaid.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:34 PM »
How do sailors get the Wu Tang Flu when they are at sea on a carrier?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 11:12:40 PM »
Port calls in Vietnam. Extremely bad decision.
AKA Navy Joe   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 11:15:13 PM »
Not this virus in particular but the Navy is prime target material for an accidental epidemic or intentional bioweapon attack. All our food comes from local husbanding agents, loaded out on the replenishment ships and Unrepped on. I loved all the new and different fruits, but no way all that stuff is screened.
AKA Navy Joe   

grampster

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 11:15:29 PM »
Hmmm, Clap, clap, clap, clap :P.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 12:40:04 AM »
How do sailors get the Wu Tang Flu when they are at sea on a carrier?

No, no, the Wu Tang Flu is a different ailment. Comes from Staten Island. Spread by swarms of killa bees.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 02:06:10 AM »
No no no, the Killer Bees were a World touring Reggae band out of Austin, TX that my cousin played keys/sang and wrote for.

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
The captain was in the right, but relief should have been expected. He knew that going in. By his charge to protect his people and based on Operational Risk Management (ORM) he made the correct call. Aviators, which he is, have ORM drilled into them and also a culture where any member of a flight crew is empowered and expected to speak up before the crash. ORM dictates to accept no unnecessary risk. Risk is evaluated based on severity and probability.

Still think the firing was expected and while not right in line with previous actions. Marine O-5 just got fired over the fallout from two lost rifles for example. Good order and discipline is the best reason, let’s nip COs media leaking in the bud.

Still like to know who had the final word on Vietnam port call, not a good idea. Carrier COs don’t just decide where to go on their own.
AKA Navy Joe   

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 10:14:30 AM »
No no no, the Killer Bees were a World touring Reggae band out of Austin, TX that my cousin played keys/sang and wrote for.

Any relation to the Be Sharps?

This thread ain't gonna drift itself.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 10:19:59 AM »

Please tell me Michael is your cousin.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
He managed to get himself off the ship.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 09:40:06 PM »
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/04/03/826920834/after-outcry-over-navy-captain-relieved-of-command-assurances-he-wont-be-expelle?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3CTKKr480wyuclnXrZYAqKgpztcF_EG09879hH2sHDgG5g-ngjuWeMqbI&fbclid=IwAR0IaQoI1gdXCFFuJOPAelanJlsrew_dyUSM7wW9DKyHf39TzBYuFokifM0

Sure, reassigned to a prestigious post like CO of an automated weather station in the Arctic.

But on Thursday Modly, who was named acting navy secretary after Richard Spencer was forced out as the Navy's top civilian late last year, said Crozier had shown "poor judgment" by sending his letter by email to up to 30 people, but not to his immediate superior on the warship.
Okay, I didn't catch on that his boss was on the same ship and he went over his head. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 11:49:37 PM »
Stanton Hoffman is my cousin. He's the one that got me into playing drums. Stan is still playing here in Shreveport as are his 2 boys, both KILLER drummers. Look up John Hoffman on YouTube or FaceBook. Have two other cousins in the area who are also VERY talented, Jimmy Wooten and his sister Laura.

https://www.facebook.com/john.hoffman.9066

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khqpIYRkWVg
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2020, 05:50:53 AM »
Okay, I didn't catch on that his boss was on the same ship and he went over his head.  

Maybe he had already talked to his boss and his boss didn't do anything. That's the usual reason why anyone goes over his/her boss's head.

{Edit to add} Looks like the boss has never commanded a ship. https://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=990
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »
Maybe he had already talked to his boss and his boss didn't do anything. That's the usual reason why anyone goes over his/her boss's head.

{Edit to add} Looks like the boss has never commanded a ship. https://www.navy.mil/navydata/bios/bio.asp?bioID=990

That is what I was wondering. 

Is it common for flag officers to have command over ship groups without going through ship command position?  I guess there are lots of paths up the chain.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2020, 06:22:41 PM »
That is what I was wondering. 

Is it common for flag officers to have command over ship groups without going through ship command position?  I guess there are lots of paths up the chain.

Only normal for navies with a massively bloated and useless Admiralty caste.

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »
I believe it is not uncommon to see aviators in command of carrier strike groups.  I looked at a couple current strike group commanders and they are a mix of surface warfare officers and aviators with and without ship commands.  Rear Adm Baker commanded a squadron and an air wing so he's checked the usual leadership blocks.  Apparently direct ship command isn't a prerequisite though.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »
Being a CAG is pretty much the same as a ship command. You have 7-9 subordinate commands, 2,000+ people. His path looks normal and he did a lot of pilot stuff.

Carrier life, I always joked you had to run a memo up the chain just to take a dump. Everything was bureaucracy. On the amphib it was the wild, wild west by comparison. My department head was a prior enlisted O-4 compared to O-5 academy types on the carrier. Enlisted did a lot more. Further up the carrier food chain there were typically at least 6 O-6 loose on the TR ranging from the antique surgeon to reactor O, CAG, CO, XO, some random staff dude. Always an admiral on the loose too. More Os than they know what to do with.
AKA Navy Joe