Author Topic: Venezuela Navy rams cruise ship ...  (Read 1720 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Venezuela Navy rams cruise ship ...
« on: April 03, 2020, 08:38:53 PM »
... and sinks. with only minor damage to the cruise ship, thanks to a reinforced hull intended for use in the Arctic.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6774974/cruise-ship-venezuela-ramming/

I can't help but think Venezuela getting feisty might be part of the reason our Navy to the Caribbean instead of "drug trafficking"
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Venezuela Navy rams cruise ship ...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 08:55:16 PM »
A wise man once said, "Yeild to tonnage".

=D
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 09:11:27 PM »
Venezuela says it will pursue “legal action” in connection with the case, and President Nicolas Maduro has said he expects “maximum collaboration” from Curacao.

“You have to be very naive to see this as an isolated incident,” Maduro said Tuesday night on state TV, amid rising tensions with the United States.

Because the United States has a long history of using Portuguese cruise ships as amphibious assault vessels ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 09:27:14 PM »
Baghdad Bob must be teaching classes at the Venezuelan military academy now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 09:49:18 PM »
The Resolute is equipped with dining rooms, a gymnasium, a salt water pool and accommodations for 146 passengers, according to its website. The ship was between cruises and there were only 32 crew members aboard during the clash, Columbia Cruise Services says.

The ship’s itinerary does not list any planned mercenary operations into Venezuela. However, it does list several trips to the Canadian Arctic and Antarctica.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:51:40 PM »
“Shortly thereafter, the navy vessel approached the starboard side … and purposely collided with the RCGS Resolute,” the Germany-based company said in a statement.

“The navy vessel continued to ram the starboard bow in an apparent attempt to turn the ship’s head towards Venezuelan territorial waters,” Columbia Cruise Services said.

Vladimir Padrino López, Venezuela’s minister of defence, disputed that claim in a statement, saying that the cruise ship actually rammed the patrol boat and “caused its sinking” in Venezuelan waters.
I guess the Venezuelan ship wasn't designed as a tug boat.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 10:01:49 PM »
That wasn't exactly a Boston Whaler the Venezuelans lost ...

(from the article)

However, I wonder if the article is correct. The Venezuelan vessel's number is (was) "GC-23." I assume "GC" is Guarda de la Costa," or Coast Guard. Not Navy.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 10:55:25 AM »
I want to know where all of the video of this encounter and subsequent sinking is. You can't tell me no one bothered to video it in this day and age.

bob

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 07:59:49 PM »
Love this comment at the bottom:

Isn’t that nice?  A little heartwarming story for us in these troubling times.

=D

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 12:36:34 AM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:42:48 PM »
Question for the sailors & lawyers here: assuming no other vessels had been nearby, would the cruise ship have been legally obligated to pick up the crew from the Venezuelan ship? They were after all engaged in piracy against their ship...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »
That would be a pretty sticky call. I'm thinking that if it were to play out in some kind of Admiralty court then they would be on the hook to render aid.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »
Video (and a lot of snark):  https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/05/video-has-emerged-of-the-venezuelan-patrol-ship-that-sunk-itself-after-ramming-a-cruise-ship-not-a-typo/

The video is sorely disappointing. Just chaos in spanish. No huge bumps, no screaming cries as the ship goes down.

I wanted to see damage of some kind happening.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 10:49:20 PM »
My favorite comment from the link:

"After an hour hanging around on standby in case it was required to help with the rescue effort, Resolute was left to buff out its battle damage."   =D

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2020, 01:25:40 AM »
Interesting back-channel scuttlebutt on this.

Last year, a Russian ship leasing company commandeered two ships leased to One Ocean Expeditions.  Argument was the ships were in need of modernization and repairs.  OOE leases 3 ships from this company, one of which is the Resolute in this story.

The Resolute is the last ship available to the company to generate any revenue, and OOE is near bankruptcy due to the loss of their leased vessels.

There's arbitration and lawsuits going on to try and free up the two commandeered ships.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/news/cruise-ships-seized-russian-authorities-putting-hundreds-of-once-in-lifetime-holidays-at-risk/

How much pull might a Russian ship company have with the Venezuelan military, to try and ruin a company?  Are there other Russian or Venezuelan companies trying to make a go at this industry, and sidelining OOE is good for them?

I came across this, trying to dig around and see if Columbia Cruise Services or One Ocean Expeditions had any CIA or US State Dept ties, and if the Venezuelans had any immediately tangible ground to stand upon with the accusations of mercenary activities.  I could see the State Dept leasing an off-the-books transport of human assets during a time when the ship is supposedly idle or in transit from one pole to the other.  Drop off some assets 20 miles off shore in a dinghy and just not look to hard at their equipment.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 08:15:38 AM »
Question for the sailors & lawyers here: assuming no other vessels had been nearby, would the cruise ship have been legally obligated to pick up the crew from the Venezuelan ship? They were after all engaged in piracy against their ship...
Fishing pirates out of the ocean - pirates who may very well be armed, if only with sidearms - would greatly hazard the (presumably) unarmed passengers and crew of the merchant or civilian vessel that the pirates had targeted. I would think that unless some ocean or admiralty court were based in Venezuela or one of its allies, this would be the determining factor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 09:39:46 AM »
The cruise company claims the Resolute stayed in place for an hour while crew of the Naiguata ignored all offers of help. Venezuela disputed that claim in a separate statement, calling the cruise ship’s crew “cowardly and criminal” for allegedly failing to help.

Venezuela says it managed to rescue the entire crew, with no help from the cruise ship.

Looking at the video, if there were men with rifles on the ship, I can see where the Resolute would be hesitant to send over boats to pick people up.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 09:54:03 AM »
Looking at the video, if there were men with rifles on the ship, I can see where the Resolute would be hesitant to send over boats to pick people up.

My first thought was if they picked up the survivors, exactly what is going to stop them from kidnapping all the crew and stealing the ship for Venezuela, as they were trying to do in the first place?

I'd have been more than hesitant at picking them up. Toss them a life raft, sure. Pick the up? Nope. Enjoy rowing back to port. 
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 11:04:37 AM »
My favorite comment from the link:

"After an hour hanging around on standby in case it was required to help with the rescue effort, Resolute was left to buff out its battle damage."   =D
Thanks.  I needed a belly laugh to start the day.

Terry, 230RN