Author Topic: Poland steals a US citizens rifle.  (Read 1042 times)

freakazoid

• friend
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Poland steals a US citizens rifle.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 06:16:56 PM »
Sounds like the DHS should be paying the guy.  They are the ones who seized the legally owned firearm.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 06:20:36 PM »
Property rights are an imaginary thing in American.

You didn't build don't own that.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:40:00 PM »
I see this situation as almost exactly how various governments treat art that was stolen during WW II.  A lot of GIs brought home art from Europe, or sold them to private collectors after the war, or the Nazis raided homes and museums.  Once the original owners/museums/governments found out where their property was, they took action to get it back.  The US government cooperated with a lot of European governments and private individuals to return their property to them.  I have read several books about this.

Through no fault of his own, the most recent owner of the rifle bought stolen property.  Can we fault the original owner of the property for getting it back? If someone broke into your home, stole your favorite 1911 and resold it, would you just write it off and not try to recover it from the person who bought your stolen property?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 08:10:50 PM »
I see this situation as almost exactly how various governments treat art that was stolen during WW II.  A lot of GIs brought home art from Europe, or sold them to private collectors after the war, or the Nazis raided homes and museums.  Once the original owners/museums/governments found out where their property was, they took action to get it back.  The US government cooperated with a lot of European governments and private individuals to return their property to them.  I have read several books about this.

Through no fault of his own, the most recent owner of the rifle bought stolen property.  Can we fault the original owner of the property for getting it back? If someone broke into your home, stole your favorite 1911 and resold it, would you just write it off and not try to recover it from the person who bought your stolen property?

This wasn't stolen art from private individuals. My favorite 1911 would be my personal property, me being an individual. If I had brought my favorite 1911 with me to a battlefield and the enemy took it as a prize, yeah, it's gone.
Or are you suggesting that all those Luger's, P-38's, Arisaka's, katana's, uniform items, etc. bring backs should be returned too?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 05:59:57 AM »

Except that if the GI (BIG if here, as it wasn't mentioned in the story) did the appropriate paperwork to bring it back as a trophy, it isn't stolen.  It may have been stolen from Poland by the NAZI's, but then the US legally claimed it as spoils of war, and legally transferred ownership to the GI who did the paperwork.  As someone that DID that paperwork in 2009, it's pretty clearly spelled out how the chain of ownership goes and why it's legal.

The US did work with Europeans on a bunch of stuff that didn't have the paperwork correctly done.  Some of those were probably stolen, and some were probably legit trophy's that just didn't have the i's dotted.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 11:30:37 AM »
Since I like to learn something every day, was there even paperwork for war trophies back in WW II?  Back when I was a kid, one of the neighbors had a P-38 that he said he took from a dead German officer and brought back home.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 12:51:10 PM »
Since I like to learn something every day, was there even paperwork for war trophies back in WW II?  Back when I was a kid, one of the neighbors had a P-38 that he said he took from a dead German officer and brought back home.

I think so?  I've seen bring back paperwork included in auctions of some guns I was looking at.

ETA:  https://www.gunboards.com/sites/banzai/FeatArts/CaptPapers/CapPapers.htm  A short article on the subject I found online.  I would note that a bunch of GI's probably didn't bother with the "correct" paperwork.  I know I have a couple friends with Iraqi pistols that didn't make it to the States in a legit fashion.