Author Topic: When I have more time and less money  (Read 747 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
When I have more time and less money
« on: April 04, 2020, 04:59:34 PM »
I get motivated to do things I normally wouldn’t do.
I’m getting some seasonal equipment out and ready and as usual I have 2 flat tires. In days of yore (whatever that means) I would take them to the tire shop in town or the farm store and wait around while somebody fixed them or leave them and make another trip to pick them up:
Today I started by putting the rosebud on the vintage victor oxy/acetylene torch, putting the railroad track anvil on a black locust log and then doing some old fashioned heat and beat to make 3 tire irons the appropriate size and length. Some shaping and further rounding with a grinder and then a final deburr and polish with a flap disc.
Broke down both tires and patched them. Remounted and aired up. Good to roll.
3 hours with a coffee break but hey I probably saved $30. Next time I won’t have to make my tire spoons.
If this shelter in place thing goes much longer I might as well be Amish.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
Re: When I have more time and less money
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 05:06:10 PM »
Nice haven't used my big anvil in years. If they are tubeless I have used the plugs for over 20 years. Usually need that vehicle to drive 75 miles to work and got home after the tire shop closed.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:26:19 PM »
Yup, tubeless lawnmower tires and similar gets a plug and appropriate amount of "Slime"

Son in law came up a few days ago to help me service the tractor and swap out the box blade for the tiller. After that we ran a bunch of rough cut yellow pine through the planer. Didn't keep track of how many boards we did but we had to empty my 30 gallon dust collector 4 times and when we quit it was 3/4 full.
Built 8 honeybee swarm traps out of some 3/8 smart siding I had laying around, now I just need to get them baited and placed. If it ever dries out I need to do some more mowing and tilling for the lower garden, the main garden (AKA the clay pit) might be dry enough to till in 3 weeks if it stops raining today. I also need to cut the briars back out of my blueberry bushes, they put on a good bloom this year and I should get a fair crop.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:47:29 PM »
I hate that evil tire slime stuff. Both are tubeless for now but one might need a tube.
I’ll start on the fishing boat and trailer tomorrow.
An old guy with bad knees lives a mile from me and I usually take the tractor and 60” tiller down and do his garden for him. It was a little too wet this morning but sun and wind all day might put it on the schedule tomorrow. He has an oak tree that needs to come down and he lets me have it for firewood. The power co will probably drop it.
What we have here is failure to communicate.