Author Topic: Drive Belt Dressing?  (Read 1541 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Drive Belt Dressing?
« on: April 07, 2020, 11:05:33 AM »
Thoughts on drive belt dressing? I've never used it in vehicles, but I have an ag pump that runs via two big ass belts that are totally exposed to weather. The longer I can keep them running, the less expenses I have, since I'm not sure these are belts I could change by myself. If dressing can help prolong their life, I'll use some. Or if it has the opposite effect - i.e., "short term fix, then increased degradation", then I won't.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Drive Belt Dressing?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 11:15:24 AM »
Charby's thoughts.. I don't use belt dressing because it mostly a solvent, acetone and liquidified asphalt. Works great on a hard belts near the end of their life to soften it up a bit, but it's sticky and bitch to clean off parts. Also eats paint on overspray and splatter.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 11:20:45 AM »
Tried it once when I was a teenager, to quiet down a squeeking automotive belt.  The squeeking got much worse, I ended up having to replace the belt and clean the pulleys.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
I've never had any success with it, and it gets everywhere when you start the engine.

After the first time, if someone brings me a car to work on that they sprayed it on (I've seen a lot of folks try it on blower belts) I charge extra for the mess.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 11:49:14 AM »
Didn't seem to take long to get an answer.  =D

I'll just let 'em run as-is.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 11:52:31 AM »
Didn't seem to take long to get an answer.  =D

I'll just let 'em run as-is.

I'm surprised you got a consensus this quick, I was waiting for our old buddy from Texas to tells us how to make some from turpenes from mesquite and lard.

Uranus is a gas giant.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »
Friends don't let friends use belt dressing
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2020, 11:55:56 AM »
No to the dressing it’s a gimmick product

Anyway to build an open air shelter over said pump
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2020, 12:01:44 PM »
In agreement with others... belt dressing is a band-aid, not a preventive. If the belts are old and hard enough to need belt dressing, then they're old and hard enough to need changing.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »
What they said

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 12:47:30 PM »
I'm surprised you got a consensus this quick, I was waiting for our old buddy from Texas to tells us how to make some from turpenes from mesquite and lard.

:laugh:

Haven't seen him in forever. Do you guys see him on the friendface or other forums? Or did he finally blow himself up?  :O

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2020, 01:04:00 PM »
:laugh:

Haven't seen him in forever. Do you guys see him on the friendface or other forums? Or did he finally blow himself up?  :O

He pops up on Facebook every now and then, probably busy with life.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 03:23:43 PM »

Anyway to build an open air shelter over said pump

It's a Parma pump, so comes with one of their plastic "hats" installed, but that seems to be mostly rain and snow cover. The underside, while covered, is still exposed to the elements if that makes sense. If it were in an easy to get to location like my other pump, I'd build something like a pump house for it, but it's in kind of a precarious position on the creek bank. I'm already afraid that one of these days while I'm balancing myself lubing the zerks, I'm gonna fall down the pipe, never to be heard from again.  :laugh:

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 05:56:25 PM »
Most people prefer ranch but I like The Pink Stuff.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2020, 06:00:19 PM »
Most people prefer ranch but I like The Pink Stuff.

Agreed.  Now I want a calzone....

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2020, 06:03:50 PM »
I'm surprised I can buy it at the Butler Walmart. When this is over we need to meet up at one of there places for lunch.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2020, 07:14:22 PM »
Silicone spray is good for rubber.  If the belt is hard and showing surface cracks, it might be worth a try.  Yes, I know it's slippery.
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2020, 08:34:10 PM »
Long ago when I was just a wee lad I remember watching some family members running some sort of farm equipment with a big flat belt off of a PTO on a tractor. Every once in a while they'd slather some molasses on the  flat belt and pulleys to keep it from jumping off.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »
I used to use bees wax on "V" belts. I guess it would be viable on those serpentine belts as well. It is quite sticky and doesn't "fly off" and create a mess. The trick with any dressing - and the belt, of course - is proper tension. If the belt is allowed to slip, it will heat up and melt whatever is on the belt and the heat will also cause early deterioration of the belt. Keep any oil or other fluid off the belts as well. Keep hands, hair, and clothing clear of all running belts, too. Belts are cheap and easy to replace. Fingers are another story.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2020, 09:47:09 PM »
Yes, go ahead and use it.

Not because I would ever use the crap.

Everyone else was saying no, so I just wanted to be a contrary.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2020, 09:50:42 PM »
I used to use bees wax on "V" belts. I guess it would be viable on those serpentine belts as well. It is quite sticky and doesn't "fly off" and create a mess. The trick with any dressing - and the belt, of course - is proper tension. If the belt is allowed to slip, it will heat up and melt whatever is on the belt and the heat will also cause early deterioration of the belt. Keep any oil or other fluid off the belts as well. Keep hands, hair, and clothing clear of all running belts, too. Belts are cheap and easy to replace. Fingers are another story.

Woody

You just can't stop that thing with your hand ya know, it like a machine or something.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams