Author Topic: $Five for fiVe - Help thank a great THR member!  (Read 4655 times)

mattw

• friend
$Five for fiVe - Help thank a great THR member!
« on: March 04, 2007, 11:24:40 AM »
The purpose of this thread is to announce a thank you gift for The High Road member fiVe.

On 13 May 2005 at 0922, fiVe created a thread on Oleg Volks The High Road that has gone on to influence the lives of more people than the author of the thread or anyone else will ever truly know.

The title of the thread is The 642 Club . As the name implies, The 642 Club is devoted to the Smith & Wesson Model 642, a 38 Special snub-nosed revolver. The 642 is a member of S&Ws J Frame airweight family, having a stainless steel cylinder and barrel and an aluminum frame for light weight. The 642 is also hammerless, making it an excellent choice for those with concealed carry permits.

Many of us gave the snub-nosed revolver far too little consideration, instead being drawn towards the latest high tech auto. Still others were sitting on fence, unable to decide. Others loved the simple goodness of the snubbie all along, and found a welcoming home in The 642 Club. Regardless, all of us have found a wealth of knowledge and great camaraderie in The 642 Club. FiVe has earned the gratitude of many of us who today rely on the S&W 642 (and other snubbies) as a primary or BUG for the protection of ourselves, our loved ones, and those that we dont even know.

Today, The 642 Club has over 1,800 posts and has directly influenced over 150 people in choosing the S&W 642 and other snubbies. FiVe has truly earned our thanks. For this reason, the members of The 642 Club have created the $Five for fiVe Drive.

We were all hoping that Smith & Wesson would give fiVe a free revolver of his choosing for generating so many sales for the company. Instead, he got a hat and a nice letter.

So we have taken it upon ourselves to provide a revolver for him instead (well, the funds anyway). We are hoping that 642 Club members and many others will consider giving a gift of $5 (or other amount of your choosing) to fiVe as a thank you for his thread and the fine service it has, and will continue to provide. The 642 Club and this post are linked together. This thread was started on Armed Polite Society at the request of The High Road moderators.

If you are interested in giving a gift of $5, or other amount, read on&

https://www.paypal.com/ is the lone accepted method of payment. Just go to the Send Money tab at the top of the main menu and it will give an overview of how this feature works. You will need to create a Paypal account if you havent already done so. The funds will be collected via Paypal by 642 Club member jad0110. Jad0110 was nominated by fiVe and confirmed by other 642 Club members as an individual that can be trusted as keeper of the till (refer to The 642 Club page 60, post #s 1479  1494). When ready to send $5 (or other amount) in Paypal, you will need the following:

Recipients email address: five_for_five@inbox.com
Email Subject: $Five for fiVe gift of $ [insert amount]
Note: Please provide your THR username or email address if you wish jad0110 to confirm receipt of your gift via Private Message

Jad0110 will keep track of the donations and, with the advise and consent of other 642 Club members, will determine the best time to close the $Five for fiVe Drive. Sufficient funds will be collected to allow fiVe to purchase the revolver of his choice (including accessories like a holster, speed loaders, etc).

Please do not hesitate to Private Message jad0110 on THR if you have any questions.
Thank you for your participation in thanking a great THR member!

Jad0110 can also be contacted at five_for_five@inbox.com

mattw

• friend
Re: $Five for fiVe - Help thank a great THR member!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 01:38:53 PM »
The drive is off to a good start, I've been told we already have four donations of undisclosed amounts and this thread has only been up a few hours!

Keep up the good work guys, I know fiVe will really appreciate this.

If you've bought a 642 because of that thread I think you should contemplate where you would be without the guidance of the 642 club. One day you may owe your life to the suggestion to get a 642.

Help us show our appreciation for fiVe's brining this pistol to the front of our minds and the holsters on our belts!

The Rabbi

• friend
  • "Ahh, Jeez. Not this sh*t again!"
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
If I tell people that I will use the gun to end my life and the ridiculous divisive posts here will everyone chip in and buy me a pistol too?
Fight state-sponsored Islamic terrorism: Bomb France now!

Vote Libertarian: It Not Like It Matters Anyway.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 03:55:44 PM »
While I applaud the notion, you should note that PayPal has a horrible anti-gun reputation and could consider this a transaction involving the sale of a firearm and lock the account and tie up the money forever.  That and not to mention just giving them the business with their attitude towards us gunowners.

I will contribute if another payment method is chosen (think GearPay.com).

Greg

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2007, 03:59:39 PM »
If I tell people that I will use the gun to end my life and the ridiculous divisive posts here will everyone chip in and buy me a pistol too?

Nope. I like your ridiculous, divisive posts. angel
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2007, 04:10:27 PM »
While I applaud the notion, you should note that PayPal has a horrible anti-gun reputation and could consider this a transaction involving the sale of a firearm and lock the account and tie up the money forever.  That and not to mention just giving them the business with their attitude towards us gunowners.

I will contribute if another payment method is chosen (think GearPay.com).

Greg
Don't ignore this warning.  Paypal closed my account because I used their service to accept payment for a rifle I sold via THR's classified section.  If you use Paypal for this purpose, they WILL shut you down.

mattw

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 04:23:04 PM »
Wow I was not aware of paypal's views on this. I will suggest to Jad that we move to gearpay.

No, but I will give you directions via google maps to a high enough bridge you can jump off of.

mattw

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2007, 06:00:39 PM »
Ok guys, here it is from Jad:

Quote from: jad0110
I have heard that they are anti and considered it beforehand, but then I remembered that they would have no way of knowing what the payments are for.  That's why in my instructions on APS I said just to use the subject "five for five".

I'll check out the other site sometime, for now I don't believe it will be an issue.

He is correct. How would paypal know what the money is for if we do not mention a firearm in any of our donations? He did not list it as "BUY A GUN FOR FIVE" so I do not think paypal will be able to get wind of this unless they've got spies on our forums... rolleyes

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2007, 11:23:40 PM »
"We were all hoping that Smith & Wesson would give fiVe a free revolver of his choosing for generating so many sales for the company. Instead, he got a hat and a nice letter."

fiVe should have opened a Glock-club, at least the hat could have been Tyrolian.

"If I tell people that I will use the gun to end my life and the ridiculous divisive posts here will everyone chip in and buy me a pistol too?"

Rabbi, I'd chip in 5 Euros just to have you end your sigline !
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2007, 11:41:36 PM »
Laurent, I'd pay good money on a trip to France if they would end their double-dealing policies and coddling of Muslim terrorists....

Laurent du Var

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 12:32:39 AM »
No can do for the double dealing it is just who we are, sorry !

I don't understand the word "coddling", does it mean we homegrow
terrorists ? English is only my third language but you may be right....

I remember watching this on TV :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khaled_Kelkal
homegrown and rooted out....
Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 03:17:42 AM »
Laurent "coddling" is not as much as homegrowing as it is giving refuge or babying them.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 07:01:44 AM »
Hmmmm...

I realize that I can be quite the sour contrarian, and maybe I'm talking out of turn by not knowing the full story, but:

I have ALWAYS hated these "honor the guy and buy him a gun" threads.
We ALL work hard for our respective pet causes.  I spent untold hours and resources helping to educate people five or so years ago about the amazing technology, value, simplicity, wisdom and beauty of Kel-Tec handguns, most specifically the P-11 and the P32.

Should someone buy ME a gun? No.
Should someone buy this guy a gun? I doubt it.
Still, YMMV and what you do with your money is up to you.

Signed,
I wanna be a curmudgeon  rolleyes

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »
Curmudgeons of the world unite!

I haven't seen anyone soliciting to buy Oleg a gun, and he's done more for RKBA than probably all of us put together.

mattw

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 07:46:22 AM »
Should someone buy ME a gun? No.
Should someone buy this guy a gun? I doubt it.
Still, YMMV and what you do with your money is up to you.

Jealousy?

I do second the idea of buying Oleg a gun though...

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2007, 07:47:51 AM »
I deserve a free gun, too.  There seem to be a few pagans on this board who arm themselves from fear of people like me.  Where's my free gun?   cheesy

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=5983.msg92839#msg92839
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2007, 08:42:06 AM »
Trust me...some asshat will put GUN in the memo field somewhere and all is lost.  If you continue down this road, I'd consider removing money daily just in case.  If it ain't there, they can't freeze it but they can close the account.

Greg

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2007, 08:45:09 AM »
Hmmmm....

Tempting...
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2007, 11:10:03 PM »
Don't believe Rabbi. 

If we strike him down he will become more divisive than we can possibly imagine.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2007, 04:52:48 AM »
Don't believe Rabbi. 

If we strike him down he will become more divisive than we can possibly imagine.
No, no.  I promise.  But it must be in style.  I'd suggest a nice 4 inch Korth with interchangeable cylinders.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2007, 05:59:09 PM »
Korth?  Then the police would take the gun as evidence & your loved ones would bury you with the Hi-Point.  Do yourself in with the Hi-Point and be buried with the Korth.

FWIW, I know a guy who managed to do himself in with a .22 rifle.  I'm not sure if it was a fit of desperation or a last example of determination to make do with the cards he'd been dealt.

(In a fit of black humor, a mutual buddy joked, "I gave him the choice: take my sister out on a date and let her have her way with you...or do yourself in.  I think he chose wisely."  If you knew the gal...)

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2007, 11:37:34 AM »
I like my ruger sp101...can I get everyone to send me 5 dollars?
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

The Rabbi

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2007, 11:48:08 AM »
If people here send me $10 I will tell them how to get free guns....

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2007, 08:34:59 AM »
I would chip in to buy something for Oleg. Maybe something like that 1911 I saw a bit ago with "Molon Labe" engraved on the slide?
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2007, 08:53:54 AM »
Curmudgeons of the world unite!

I haven't seen anyone soliciting to buy Oleg a gun, and he's done more for RKBA than probably all of us put together.
I'd chip in for a gun for Oleg.  He's definitely earned it.