Author Topic: Eureka box set for US market, due out soon  (Read 1477 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Eureka box set for US market, due out soon
« on: April 15, 2020, 10:20:52 AM »
For those Eureka fans among us, a Blu-Ray box set has been an elusive critter. The only thing available was made for Germany. I just discovered that a very cost effective box set is finally being released for the US market.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085RTL71M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a soft spot for Eureka and Warehouse 13. I already have the Warehouse 13 set due to happy happenstance on a like-new used set. I never popped for Eureka due to the prohibitive price and generally odd nature of the import product. I went ahead and pre-ordered. It will be a nice addition to the movie shelf.

Brad
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:28:11 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Eureka box set for US market, due out soon
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 10:56:04 AM »
Thanks.   Just ordered it.   =D   
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »
Warehouse13 was great. Eureka was terrible.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 11:58:55 AM »
Warehouse13 was great. Eureka was terrible.
???

Both were pretty good. 
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 04:35:19 PM »
Delayed until August 11th.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 11:15:07 PM »
Drat!    :mad:

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 12:37:03 PM »
Well, it's... okay.

Spent the weekend binge-watching. Has some glaring flaws and if it were a dollar more I'd tell you it's a solid "No", but it's hard to pass up a complete set for this price.

Short version: If you want the complete series at an incredibly good price, and with slightly better video and much better audio than streaming offers, get this. Now. If you are a collector who wants a pristine example of the series, or a videophile who won't tolerate bare-bones packaging, regular bouts of iffy video quality and lack of substantive extras, then don't waste your money.

Longer version...

Viewing setup: Samsung Blu-Ray player, Yamaha RX-A1080 receiver (also used for video switching), Sharp Aquos 1080p tv.

VIDEO (C-): Mill Creek has done a "meh" job of porting the series to Blu Ray. I say "meh" because the video quality is noticeably inconsistent. Most scenes have some level of video noise and there are regular bouts of some of the most horrible video noise and compression strobing I've seen in years. It's most noticeable in darker scenes, especially in seasons 1 and 2. It gets better with later seasons but never completely goes away. I'm presuming it's a combination of source material and how the compression algorithm handles grain in darker scenes. The few scenes that are absolutely pristine - beautiful detail, no grain or over-smoothing, and vibrant, accurate colors - make the remainder an extreme disappointment. It would be absolutely unacceptable if this were a presentation- or collector-level set. As a sub $40 option for the entire series it's tolerable, but only because it's slightly better video quality than streaming offers. The pristine scenes are a solid A to A+. Unfortunately, the bad scenes are obvious and often.

AUDIO (B): Audio is presented in 5.1 and is clear and free of extraneous noise. Dialog is clear, music has clarity and depth, surround is used effectively, and action scenes engage LFE acceptably well for a made-for-TV series. However, LFE use is both sparing and a bit thin, definitely not used to its full potential. The same is true for surround channels. They are present and do an acceptable job of enveloping the listener but could certainly be used to much greater effect. My presumption is that LFE and surround deficiencies are the result of the show's original production limitations, both budget and schedule. As it stands, they are more than adequate so long as you don't expect reference-quality audio. Not bad for a budget release.

One notable issue with audio is Mill Creek's bombastic studio intro at the beginning of each disc. Audio levels are jarringly loud, almost painfully so. On my receiver, comfortable listening level for episodes is -15 db. To get the same perceived level during the intro I had to drop the level to -30.

EXTRAS (C): Extras are limited to a few podcasts, interviews, and gag reels. They were obviously thrown together in haste and look to be a direct port from the German-language box set release several years ago. Okay for the set but not substantive enough to add significant value.

PACKAGING AND MENUS (C+): The box is simple printed cardboard with minimal labeling. Discs come in two boxes, six discs per box. The discs feel noticeably flimsy and appear physically thinner than most Blu Ray platters, so much so that I am consciously careful when removing discs lest I crack one.

Menus are minimalist with a simple static background and plain-text choices. Nothing fancy but they work.

OVERALL: I love Eureka. It's been a guilty pleasure of mine from the day the pilot aired. I was thrilled to see it on a US-spec box set, especially for the price. I should have been leery of it coming from Mill Creek but I let that slide. Unfortunately Mill Creek has lived down to its reputation for iffy video and barest of bare-bones offerings. It's acceptable given the extremely modest price tag, but only because it's A) a complete set at my fingertips for under forty bucks and B) offers slightly better quality than streaming. I can only hope SYFI or Universal sees fit to issue a reference-quality set at some point in the future.

Brad
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 05:11:57 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 04:38:16 PM »
I gave up trying to make myself accept the piss-poor picture as a concession to the cheap price. I suppose if there was no other option it would be different, but this is just plain bad. Like watching one of those horrible early budget DVD releases which were VHS-resolution transfers upscaled to 1080p. The breaking point was when SWMBO, who cares not one whit about video quality, said "Why is the picture so grainy and what are those flashes?". I'm getting the German release which supposedly has much better video quality, plus a couple more extras the Mill Creek set doesn't include. Yeah, it's more, but I can throw this set on FaceBook Marketplace and recover most of the price so it's not a total hosing.

The German set is advertised through Amazon UK. Not surprising given it's target market (geographically speaking). Weird thing, though. I got a shipment notification today and the tracking number is... Australian. Australian Post Global, to be precise. WTH? No shipment details as of yet. It's going to be interesting to watch the little dotted line make it's way across the globe to my door. Queue Raiders of the Lost Ark Traveler's Theme.

Brad
-HankB

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 03:14:25 AM »
I gave up trying to make myself accept the piss-poor picture as a concession to the cheap price. I suppose if there was no other option it would be different, but this is just plain bad. Like watching one of those horrible early budget DVD releases which were VHS-resolution transfers upscaled to 1080p. The breaking point was when SWMBO, who cares not one whit about video quality, said "Why is the picture so grainy and what are those flashes?". I'm getting the German release which supposedly has much better video quality, plus a couple more extras the Mill Creek set doesn't include. Yeah, it's more, but I can throw this set on FaceBook Marketplace and recover most of the price so it's not a total hosing.

The German set is advertised through Amazon UK. Not surprising given it's target market (geographically speaking). Weird thing, though. I got a shipment notification today and the tracking number is... Australian. Australian Post Global, to be precise. WTH? No shipment details as of yet. It's going to be interesting to watch the little dotted line make it's way across the globe to my door. Queue Raiders of the Lost Ark Traveler's Theme.

Brad

I've noticed that sometimes other countries get a better release,
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2020, 08:09:59 PM »
U.K. set arrived today. Still more grain than I expect for a Blu-ray produced from HD source material but it's decidedly better than the Mill Creek set.

Based on the uniform grain/noise and overall general softness in the U.K. set, I think it's a good bet Universal produced the Blu-ray masters by either upconverting the DVD masters or just doing a piss poor job of converting the studio masters to file formats suitable for Blu-ray. Mill Creek were likely provided the same Blu-ray master files but their penchant for spinning compression knobs to 11 reared up and bit them. The digital noise already present overwhelmed the compression algorithm's ability to compensate and it puked up the grainy, pulsing mess that is the 2020 release. They tried to aggressively compress already-noisy video and it choked. Think "fax of a fax" and it's roughly analogous.

*edit to add*

After a bit of poking around and thought-processing, I think the presumption of mastering via upconversion is incorrect. If what I'm seeing is accurate, Eureka was filmed on a Sony F23 which is known for having a lot of inherent noise. This would account for the uniform grain seen in the 2014 release. It was never dealt with in the day because the show's schedules, budgets, and 2008-era end user viewing equipment presumptions provided little, if any, reason for the extra cost of post-production noise control. They couldn't have realized the show would be ripe for a 4k transfer a decade and some years later so they went with what worked for the time. I also think this is why Mill Creek's version ended up such a mess. (Same reasons as above... their penchant super-aggressive compression meant this inherent noise overwhelmed the algorithm's ability to compensate and it broke. Badly.)

Stranger still, the title sequences in the Mill Creek release are fantastic in terms of viewing quality. This beautiful initial presentation makes the remaining mess even more of a disappointment. If you put them side-by-side with the 2014 release I seriously doubt they could be differentiated. One postulation is the original title sequences were entirely CGI, leaving them free from any inherent noise. The pristine native image meant aggressive compression strategies were less likely to choke simply because there was less data to process. Again, only postulation, but it does stand up to basic scrutiny.

Brad
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 02:25:05 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB