Author Topic: The Great Reopening  (Read 9522 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: The Great Reopening
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2020, 12:17:26 PM »
Well .... it appears to be obscure in the year 2020 ....      =D  .......   [tinfoil]

We have a Alpha Media owned 25k radio station in central Iowa that has it in their rotation. Great little station, on Iheart radio, 105.9 The Beach. I can't pick it up where I live but I listen to when I work in it's broadcast area and on IHeart app at home from time to time.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2020, 01:10:14 PM »
That's what I said.   2525 - 2020 = 505.  It will be 505 years.  That's "many years."   [tinfoil]  (It was lifted from an obscure old song from the 1960s I believe .... :old: :facepalm: )

Incidentally, the song you pulled from was not obscure to me.  It was a Top 40 hit when I was in junior high school.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2020, 11:38:28 PM »
Incidentally, the song you pulled from was not obscure to me.  It was a Top 40 hit when I was in junior high school.

Good.   I always liked that song and am pleased others here still remember it. ;)
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2020, 12:41:21 AM »
Our ... esteemed Governor bath decreed that way may fish, hunt, and play golf.  Other restrictions due to be lifted May 4 ... won't be.  No new timetable either.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2020, 01:27:42 AM »
Missouri begins to open 4th May.

I live adjacent to a large city, so of course our county is still shut down "indefinitely." We're just across the river from St. Charles County, though, which has decided to join the American side of the state in opening. Maybe we can go out to eat, like human beings, again.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2020, 08:40:24 AM »
South Dakota never locked down. I don't know if it's comparable, but they look to have about 1/2 the population Idaho has. We locked down and had 50 deaths so far. They have had 13.

I didn't catch it, but it appears their Governor was sent through the MSM "virus apocalypse" wringer for not shutting down.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/30/over-2-weeks-ago-south-dakota-gov-kristi-noem-was-criticized-for-not-issuing-a-stay-at-home-order-lets-check-in-on-the-state-shall-we/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2020, 08:43:19 AM »
South Dakota never locked down. I don't know if it's comparable, but they look to have about 1/2 the population Idaho has. We locked down and had 50 deaths so far. They have had 6.

I didn't catch it, but it appears their Governor was sent through the MSM "virus apocalypse" wringer for not shutting down.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/04/30/over-2-weeks-ago-south-dakota-gov-kristi-noem-was-criticized-for-not-issuing-a-stay-at-home-order-lets-check-in-on-the-state-shall-we/

It's reported at 13, not six, but the point still stands.

The lockdowns were MASSIVE overreactions in everywhere but the most urban areas.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2020, 08:46:28 AM »
It's reported at 13, not six, but the point still stands.

The lockdowns were MASSIVE overreactions in everywhere but the most urban areas.

Derp. You are correct. I'm posting pre-coffee #2 again.  :laugh:

Fixed in my op.

EDIT: Man, I need stronger coffee. Idaho has had 60 deaths, not 50. Though if it wasn't for Boise metro and Sun Valley, we would be closer to SD's numbers.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2020, 09:22:28 AM »

I would throw in communities with meat packing plants too. There seem to be some pretty big problems there.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2020, 09:38:11 AM »
I would throw in communities with meat packing plants too. There seem to be some pretty big problems there.

Except the meat packing plants are essential and would never be and have not been locked down.

(I can go for introducing significant mitigating protection for such places, though. And insisting that SICK PEOPLE STAY HOME, instead of giving bonuses that induce sick people to come to work so they don't miss out on the bonuses, thereby infecting more at the plant... as I've read anecdotally happened.)

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2020, 10:27:47 AM »
Except the meat packing plants are essential and would never be and have not been locked down.

(I can go for introducing significant mitigating protection for such places, though. And insisting that SICK PEOPLE STAY HOME, instead of giving bonuses that induce sick people to come to work so they don't miss out on the bonuses, thereby infecting more at the plant... as I've read anecdotally happened.)

In Iowa, Tyson foods moved asymptotic people around to different plants to help with the labor shortages due to people sick with Covid-19. This has only popped as a sentence or two in a couple of articles. This may have some ramifications to Tyson on contributing to the spread of the disease. Probably not since they feed the political machine with dollars.

Also don't forget about outbreaks in nursing homes. I'm actually surprised we haven't had outbreaks in group homes for mentally handicapped folks.

Uranus is a gas giant.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2020, 12:24:58 PM »
You need to factor in all the folks that normally go to work sick with colds or flu out of fear of losing their jobs.  How many of the folks testing positive for the beer virus at these plants were just doing what's expected of them in the first place?

ETA: This was my 10k post.  Should have saved it for something more memorable.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2020, 01:45:53 PM »
You need to factor in all the folks that normally go to work sick with colds or flu out of fear of losing their jobs.  How many of the folks testing positive for the beer virus at these plants were just doing what's expected of them in the first place?

ETA: This was my 10k post.  Should have saved it for something more memorable.

I thought I saw somewhere that one of the plants was incentivizing workers to come in and not call in sick.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2020, 01:48:44 PM »
I thought I saw somewhere that one of the plants was incentivizing workers to come in and not call in sick.

Management at packing plants morally are not much better than the fish poop under pond scum. Everyday, I am overjoyed that I don't have to work at a kill plant.

Uranus is a gas giant.

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2020, 02:08:14 PM »
Everyday, I am overjoyed that I don't have to work at a kill plant.
You don't want a free T-shirt?
Cortes believes JBS moved too slowly and didn't do enough to help workers when the virus began to spread in the plant. Instead of checking on her sick family, she said, the company sent a text message to employees on April 16 offering a free T-shirt, ground beef and toilet paper.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2020, 03:04:36 PM »
Based on my personal experience, healthcare and education pretty much expects you to come in even with minor illnesses.  They may say they don't, but if you have to call in and talk to the nursing manager or the principal to tell them you aren't coming in, that tends to hold down the sickness calls.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2020, 05:17:12 PM »
Where I used to work before I retired, management encouraged people to stay home if they were sick, so as to not infect others in the work place.   Then they turned right around and required the hourly folks to get a doctors permission slip if they were going to stay home more than a day due to illness.  That was kind of contradictory in its effect in that who really needs to go to the doctor for the common cold?  Who wants to spend a couple hundred bucks to be told what they already know about their illness just so they can be permitted to stay home a few days to get over it.  So, folks came to work sick to avoid getting fired.
We salaried folks didn't have to jump through those hoops, but there was still some peer pressure in that folks that stayed home when they were sick were wimping out.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2020, 05:25:08 PM »
I think where I'm working, under the previous sick leave policy, you have to be out sick for more than 3 days before they start asking for a doctor's note.  The current policy mostly mooted that as we only get 5 days a year (previously not discretely limited) and if you need more than that you have to use vacation time.    If you want an accommodation, or want to use the short term disability benefits,  for a medical issue (e.g. telecommuting when I couldn't drive because of the seizure) they require documentation from a doctor.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2020, 05:45:41 PM »
Yeah __&_ says "don't come to work if you are sick" and then counsels you with stern reminders that you are expected to be at work every day and that excessive absence can result in discipline up to and including termination. Last year I took 1.5 sick days. one in January and one in October. In January I had a nasty cold and in October I had some kind of stomach bug which afforded me the pleasure of essentially ruining a pair of skivvies on the way home. I was told I was beginning to show a "pattern" with my absences.  =|

A previous employer deducted 1% off of my annual raise because I left early one night because I had broken out with a massive case of hives after they had sprayed the building for bugs that day after the day shift had left. Next time I was sick I made a dedicated point of spending as much time as possible around my manager, coughing and hacking, cold sweats and all. Don't kow for sure it was the same bug but a week later he spent 3 days in the hospital with a upper respritory tract infection. I laughed to myself.

They can have whatever public "don't come to work sick" policy they want but if you get severely penalized for actually availing yourself of it and you get penalized it doesn't work
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2020, 08:09:49 PM »
My company gives all the hourly guys 3 days of personal/sick time to use as they see fit.  If it is something serious, they go on short term disability after 3 days.  This year, the company set up 10 days of COVID-19 time I assume to avoid a glut of short term disability cases. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2020, 09:10:27 PM »
The One Weird Thing That Doctors Hate: having to do sickness excuses for people. It wastes time, it wastes money, and it wastes scarce healthcare resources.  Although I have had the pleasure of dealing with some people who forged an excuse, subsequently got caught and were fired.  >:D

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2020, 09:31:14 PM »
Paid leave is paid leave, especially if you employer has a use it or lose it policy for paid leave, one should not be poo-pooed for not using it. I also understand why some companies have gone to a PTO program where sick/vacation are merged together. I bet we all have a story where a coworker used up every bit of leave as soon as it was available to use.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2020, 09:51:44 PM »
Millcreek, in the late 90's I had insurance that was to pay my bills if I got hurt. I tore my right shoulder at work and none of my doctors would sign the form.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2020, 08:15:08 AM »
Paid leave is paid leave, especially if you employer has a use it or lose it policy for paid leave, one should not be poo-pooed for not using it. I also understand why some companies have gone to a PTO program where sick/vacation are merged together. I bet we all have a story where a coworker used up every bit of leave as soon as it was available to use.

I work for uncle sam.  I know quite a few people who have.  Hell, as difficult as it is to get disciplined for leave abuse, I know a dude in my area who got a disciplinary letter last year for sick leave abuse.
We just got rid of his buddy (sent to an administrative job when he lost his medical).  That guy, slipped and fell (probably drunk) at home and ended up with a brain bleed which led to a seizure.  Hospital for a few weeks.  Near 0 any kind of leave balance when he went in and ended up on the leave donation roster.  *expletive deleted*ck you. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2020, 09:15:22 AM »
I work for uncle sam.  I know quite a few people who have.  Hell, as difficult as it is to get disciplined for leave abuse, I know a dude in my area who got a disciplinary letter last year for sick leave abuse.
We just got rid of his buddy (sent to an administrative job when he lost his medical).  That guy, slipped and fell (probably drunk) at home and ended up with a brain bleed which led to a seizure.  Hospital for a few weeks.  Near 0 any kind of leave balance when he went in and ended up on the leave donation roster.  *expletive deleted*ck you.  

I cannot understand that mentality.

I'm always having to figure out what to do since half the year I'm usually nearing my max vacation leave. (And my sick leave is pretty much always at max- we have separate banks for sick and vacation leave.)

After summer vacations, I usually have a small breather for worrying about that, but currently I'm less than 20 hours away from my max. I likely will have to take a day off this month, in fact.