Author Topic: Mandatory masks?  (Read 23071 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Mandatory masks?
« Reply #100 on: May 05, 2020, 08:35:18 PM »
Menards wouldn't let anyone in w/o a mask, and they wanted $1 for a mask. Their store, obviously. They may do as they like. I turned about and went to Home Depot.

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #101 on: May 05, 2020, 08:40:52 PM »
A Texas county sent the SWAT teams out for no/mask social distancing protestors who were also open carrying. That's a lot of cops for a half dozen guys. Also, their battle wagon had a guy in the turret.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/05/wtf-texas-ector-county-swat-team-raids-bar-during-peaceful-protest-against-state-lockdown-order/

I wonder how close to "that's my line in the sand" it will be if someone gets shot in the face for not wearing a mask?

Regardless of what this was about, somebody needs to take their armored vehicle, replace it with a minivan, and make every one of those cops wear pink uniforms and carry revolvers.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

Pretty sad display of jack booted thugs just following orders.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #102 on: May 05, 2020, 08:52:01 PM »

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.

Pretty sad display of jack booted thugs just following orders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOvD9Vzv8wk
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #103 on: May 05, 2020, 08:58:19 PM »
Menards wouldn't let anyone in w/o a mask, and they wanted $1 for a mask. Their store, obviously. They may do as they like. I turned about and went to Home Depot.

I'm torn, they have the 11% rebate going and I have about $700 in expenditures this week for my basement bathroom and front hardscaping. They are also the cheapest in town for pavers.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #104 on: May 05, 2020, 09:22:40 PM »
I'm torn, they have the 11% rebate going and I have about $700 in expenditures this week for my basement bathroom and front hardscaping. They are also the cheapest in town for pavers.

https://www.amazon.com/Joker-Movie-Clown-Costume-White/dp/B07YJ3HLTK
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #105 on: May 05, 2020, 09:33:18 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Joker-Movie-Clown-Costume-White/dp/B07YJ3HLTK

Not sure if anyone would get The Purge.

I could go this way, but I just have a white Resistol and it's before Memorial Day

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #106 on: May 05, 2020, 10:10:50 PM »
Not sure if anyone would get The Purge.

I could go this way, but I just have a white Resistol and it's before Memorial Day

I have a black hat, but I don't have a holster rig. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #107 on: May 05, 2020, 10:35:45 PM »
but I don't have a holster rig. 

Turn in your man card, now!

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2020, 01:46:27 AM »
A Texas county sent the SWAT teams out for no/mask social distancing protestors who were also open carrying. That's a lot of cops for a half dozen guys. Also, their battle wagon had a guy in the turret.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/05/wtf-texas-ector-county-swat-team-raids-bar-during-peaceful-protest-against-state-lockdown-order/

I wonder how close to "that's my line in the sand" it will be if someone gets shot in the face for not wearing a mask?

Regardless of what this was about, somebody needs to take their armored vehicle, replace it with a minivan, and make every one of those cops wear pink uniforms and carry revolvers.

I, for one, appreciate the jack-booted thugs repeatedly showing us their equipment and TTPs [Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures] well in advance of any civil unrest.

Gestapo be rolling out in a MaxxPro like it's 2006 and IEDs aren't a thing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2020, 08:05:51 AM »
I, for one, appreciate the jack-booted thugs repeatedly showing us their equipment and TTPs [Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures] well in advance of any civil unrest.

Gestapo be rolling out in a MaxxPro like it's 2006 and IEDs aren't a thing.

I'm still curious and possibly shocked by the guy in the turret. I don't know armament on those things, but wouldn't a turret usually have like an M-2 or M-240 or something? I couldn't tell from the video, and maybe they have a non-lethal grenade launcher in it, but otherwise, why do you have a guy in the turret in a civilian setting with a gun that's supposed to do suppression or laying into crowds of armed hostiles? That would be a lot of collateral damage if the trigger was pulled in any domestic situation.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2020, 09:50:58 AM »
I am curious about the charge of possession of a firearms on the premises.  Usually premises does not include the parking lot.  So I am curious where they are.  In Texas you are not supposed to possess a firearm in a bar, but the parking lot is not the bar.  Maybe they were in an open patio or something. 

I will be interesting to see the follow up in court for a lot of these arrests and citations during this mess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2020, 10:17:49 AM »
I am curious about the charge of possession of a firearms on the premises.  Usually premises does not include the parking lot.  So I am curious where they are.  In Texas you are not supposed to possess a firearm in a bar, but the parking lot is not the bar.  Maybe they were in an open patio or something.  

I will be interesting to see the follow up in court for a lot of these arrests and citations during this mess.

The story I read this morning stated that the protest was held in a vacant lot behind the bar.  That lot was also owned by the bar owner, but is not part of the bar property itself.  If true, then I expect the sheriff will drop the charges for carrying weapons on a property that is involved in serving alcohol.
Oh, wait.  What the heck am I thinking?  Never mind.  ;/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2020, 11:16:13 AM »
Just more proof of what I have believed for a long time. When push comes to shove law enforcement will default to their paycheck and jackboots. We've seen examples all across the country during this pandemic scam.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2020, 11:29:41 AM »
I'm still curious and possibly shocked by the guy in the turret. I don't know armament on those things, but wouldn't a turret usually have like an M-2 or M-240 or something? I couldn't tell from the video, and maybe they have a non-lethal grenade launcher in it, but otherwise, why do you have a guy in the turret in a civilian setting with a gun that's supposed to do suppression or laying into crowds of armed hostiles? That would be a lot of collateral damage if the trigger was pulled in any domestic situation.

The pintle in a MaxxPro turret is designed to take a standard weapons mount, so M249, M240, M2, or Mk19 are the normal installed weapons.  Some high speed units but different stuff in that pintle but it's rare. (I think SOCOM runs miniguns in that same reciever)

That particular turret doesn't have a weapon in it.  The guy in it is providing (shitty) overwatch with what appears to be an M4.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2020, 11:41:29 AM »

That particular turret doesn't have a weapon in it.  The guy in it is providing (shitty) overwatch with what appears to be an M4.

Well, that makes it a little better, or rather a little less bad.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2020, 12:43:34 PM »
"Meal Team Six".  :rofl:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/06/meal-team-six-heres-the-ector-county-sheriffs-department-in-action-while-closing-down-that-bar-on-tuesday/

"The Thick Blue Line"  :laugh:

Not funny that they're rolling out SWAT teams for this nonsense, though. What is going on in West Texas? Is that Karen Kounty, or something? ???

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2020, 09:25:26 PM »
Survived Menards, was not required to wear a mask, about half the employees were, since I was wearing my white hat, red bandana, spurs, and SAA, I played it safe an walked around the store masked.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #118 on: May 07, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »
The "experts" need to make up their minds on the masks.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/07/dr-michael-osterholm-masks-for-the-general-public-just-dont-help-all-that-much/

When I was at Costco Tuesday, I wore an N99, which of course I had in my "crazy prepper" stockpile from well before the virus.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #119 on: May 07, 2020, 09:08:05 AM »
I am not sure masks would really help the individual person or not especially if they are already maintaining distance from others.  I think you can make a case for masks helping a store and its employees by keeping the numerous customers from leaving as many germs behind as they come and go.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #120 on: May 07, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »
The "experts" need to make up their minds on the masks.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/05/07/dr-michael-osterholm-masks-for-the-general-public-just-dont-help-all-that-much/

When I was at Costco Tuesday, I wore an N99, which of course I had in my "crazy prepper" stockpile from well before the virus.

Once again, its not the odds, it's the stakes.

The good doctor seems to be jumping on the contrarian bandwagon.  It's always "cool" to have an outlying opinion, which engenders the "hey looka me" syndrome, noted formally as that "fifteen minutes of fame" coined by Andy Warhol.

I don't know about you, but if something gives me a 1% (or whatever) edge on survival, and it only costs a buck, I'd go for the buck, bearing in mind that the facemask's "one percent" may affect others as well as myself.

It's not the odds, folks.  It's the stakes.

And it seems that the "self-determination" and "responsible adult" decision-making BS is just another manifestation of that "fifteen minutes of fame," "hey looka me." syndrome.

Put the friggin' mask on, folks.

And remind me to not make any appointments with Dr. Osterholm.

Terry, 230RN

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #121 on: May 07, 2020, 10:00:42 AM »
Terry,  That ignores the fact that the cloth masks most folks are using are in fact a breeding ground for other respitory ailments.

If folks were really useing one time use masks and pitching them, then your argument makes more sense.  There are other diseases out there other than COVID, and honestly, just breathing through a damp, warm cloth all day is likely to cause issues.  With similar stakes and higher odds.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2020, 10:08:54 AM »

Put the friggin' mask on, folks.

There's no need to be rude.

And no, thank you.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #123 on: May 07, 2020, 10:15:01 AM »
Well I've been told I look better with a mask on so there's that.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #124 on: May 07, 2020, 10:53:12 AM »
Terry,  That ignores the fact that the cloth masks most folks are using are in fact a breeding ground for other respitory ailments.

If folks were really useing one time use masks and pitching them, then your argument makes more sense.  There are other diseases out there other than COVID, and honestly, just breathing through a damp, warm cloth all day is likely to cause issues.  With similar stakes and higher odds.

I'm reusing a single-use N95 mask over and over, but only for an hour or two at a time.  When I take it off, I spray it with lysol and let it air-out for a day or two before I use it again.  Is that reasonable?  I'm just spraying it lightly, maybe I should be washing them in a weak solution of quat.  I have two N95's so I can alternate them but I haven't been.
"It's good, though..."