Author Topic: Mandatory masks?  (Read 23101 times)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Re: Mandatory masks?
« Reply #125 on: May 07, 2020, 11:12:29 AM »
I'm reusing a single-use N95 mask over and over, but only for an hour or two at a time.  When I take it off, I spray it with lysol and let it air-out for a day or two before I use it again.  Is that reasonable?  I'm just spraying it lightly, maybe I should be washing them in a weak solution of quat.  I have two N95's so I can alternate them but I haven't been.

Thank you.  That business of trapping other organisms is a different problem and has a ready solution, i.e. spraying with disinfectant.  (Alcohol for me, between uses, and little "airing-out" time needed.)  Also, another solution is changing masks.  I'm lucky that I got four or five of them from a retired nurse friend and those others are for when the first one starts tattering.  (Or, more likely, when the elastic gives up.)

IOW, the problem of infested masks is only a problem if you let it be such, and does not obviate the principle that "it's the stakes, not the odds."

In more "other words," even a 1% (or whatever) effectiveness is better than no effectiveness, and Dr. Whosiwatsis is full of it.  This, assuming he wasn't prompted into saying that stuff by an over eager reporter under the direction of an over eager editor wanting a story, any story, they could "punch up."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:44:36 AM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #126 on: May 07, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »
I disagree.

I'm reasonably healthy and living in an austere environment where I don't have access to ANY medical masks. I am being forced to make do with makeshift cloth face coverings, and am mandated to have them with me at all times, and wear them in most places I work, eat, and shop.

I have a limited amount of time and resources to wash *expletive deleted*it daily, or even every 3 days.

Other peoples paranoia is actively putting me at more risk with a mask than without. And that's not even taking into account  the comfort and added heat injury risks.

If you want to wear a mask, or spray lysol in it (which is not an inhalant) rock on, I don't care. But stop trying to mandate others, or pretend like it's not unreasonable to dictate other peoples health choices.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #127 on: May 07, 2020, 01:49:48 PM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #128 on: May 07, 2020, 10:10:33 PM »

Put the friggin' mask on, folks.

No.

I'm done playing the governor's stupid game of simon says, much less peer pressure to add some pointless, annoying gesture to my day.

Planning a giant cook out and shoot  er... Bible study next weekend.  One part *expletive deleted*ck the lockdown,  another "let's see what the local sheriff's dept will do".
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #129 on: May 07, 2020, 11:33:04 PM »
If you want to wear a mask, or spray lysol in it (which is not an inhalant) rock on, I don't care. But stop trying to mandate others, or pretend like it's not unreasonable to dictate other peoples health choices.

I posted about the lysol to maybe get some comments on whether that was a good idea or not.  I know it's not an inhalant, but after spraying I don't wear the mask for a day or two (so I'm not sure the lysol really does anything more than fresh air.  But I think it kills bacteria that might cause problems; the virus would die anyway in that span)  I have a good engineering mind and can work with incomplete and poor quality data, but I can't find *any* data that I trust on this thing.  I'm doing the best I can with that.

It most certainly is unreasonable to dictate other ppl's health choices; I never said otherwise (I don't know if you were talking to me on that point) I wear a mask because I choose to, and it actually irritates me that that coincides with what's being mandated. ;)  You can do whatever you want.
"It's good, though..."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #130 on: May 08, 2020, 08:19:24 AM »
I posted about the lysol to maybe get some comments on whether that was a good idea or not.  I know it's not an inhalant, but after spraying I don't wear the mask for a day or two (so I'm not sure the lysol really does anything more than fresh air.  But I think it kills bacteria that might cause problems; the virus would die anyway in that span)  I have a good engineering mind and can work with incomplete and poor quality data, but I can't find *any* data that I trust on this thing.  I'm doing the best I can with that.

It most certainly is unreasonable to dictate other ppl's health choices; I never said otherwise (I don't know if you were talking to me on that point) I wear a mask because I choose to, and it actually irritates me that that coincides with what's being mandated. ;)  You can do whatever you want.

Soap and water in the sink, air dry over night.

It might be my imagination but with all the Virex, rubbing alcohol, Clorox wipes and antibacterial soaps being used at work I feel like my seasonal allergies are worse this year.

I'm experiencing the same fatigue as many others of all the fear/panic/anxiety being pushed on us through the media. When you're surrounded by neurotic behavior and people everywhere it starts to wear and rub off on you a little.

I will not be surprised if five years from now I'm bowing my head in shame that I allowed myself to be so "gaslighted", especially early on in the attack.

There just is no good trustworthy source of information.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #131 on: May 08, 2020, 08:44:14 AM »
It certainly is possible the over-reaction of the more concerned among us is making it less likely that reasonable steps will be maintained going forward by everyone else.  Nothing new about that. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

230RN

• friend
« Reply #132 on: May 08, 2020, 11:09:21 AM »
=D >  Well, everyone's got the right to petition the government for the redress of grievances. < =D

:rofl:

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #133 on: May 08, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »
Why is there no mask emoji for comments on this site?  :mad:

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #134 on: May 08, 2020, 01:38:19 PM »
I posted this over in the megathread, but it goes here as well.

For Ben and Millcreek

Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

230RN

• friend
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2020, 06:59:41 PM »
Well, as long as you said please.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #136 on: May 13, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »
https://thefederalist.com/2020/05/13/joe-biden-must-wear-a-face-mask-right-now/

The good news is that without a doubt, very soon our fair-minded news media will be hounding Joe Biden for his callous and mysoginistic failure to put on a medical mask. Just as they have criticized president Trump they will apply the same standard to his Democratic opponent as they always do.

Put on the mask, Joe. Quit being such a baby. What are you afraid of? That the picture will become iconic? That it might be used in political ads against you? Does that really matter at a time like this? This is a time when America needs leadership, not strong, masculine leadership, but the opposite of that, whatever that is. Put on the mask, Joe. Our lives depend on it.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
Necro,  since there have been sweeping mask mandates in the past few weeks.

I still think they're pointless and the order unlawful.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #138 on: July 18, 2020, 12:56:50 PM »
Necro,  since there have been sweeping mask mandates in the past few weeks.

I still think they're pointless and the order unlawful.

I think the masks are a good idea.  And the order is unlawful.  (don't remember if I've said that already)
"It's good, though..."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #139 on: July 18, 2020, 01:07:31 PM »
Cloth masks may do more harm than good:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25903751/

Cloth masks also had significantly higher rates of ILI compared with the control arm.

A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #140 on: July 18, 2020, 01:15:33 PM »
Cloth masks may do more harm than good:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25903751/

That is 100% not what that study shows.  You might want to read it again.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #141 on: July 18, 2020, 09:02:57 PM »
Finally ran through my lumber stash, needed to get some treated lumber to replace some rotten boards on my patio shade. Menards where I live requires masks now as of July 13, so I strapped on one, went into the store, it was quite dead. Either because it's 95 degrees or have to wear mask, don't care, no waiting in line at building materials and I scored some quat wipes too. Maybe I'll embrace the mask if it keeps the mouth breathers away.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #142 on: July 18, 2020, 09:48:54 PM »
Talking to friends that have been driving across Kansas,that went mandatory last week, outside of the big city's its about 10% masks. Mainly the older folks at risk.

I'm in the high risk group so I always have several with me. Working at the food bank yesterday at around 115 heat index we wore them if someone came to pick up wearing them. It was just to hot to keep them on the whole time.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #143 on: July 18, 2020, 10:33:25 PM »
The city council (Populated by little bitches) of my hometown just made masks mandatory last week because the local paper has a whiny little *expletive deleted*ck reporter who went into the city and county admin buildings and covertly took photos of both my mom and my wife not wearing masks (all employees behind plexiglass shields though) and published a muckracking “expose” of how the city and county governments didn’t care enough to mandate masks.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

230RN

• friend
« Reply #144 on: July 18, 2020, 10:53:14 PM »
Well, filtering efficiency and all the other pros and cons aside, any mask will tend to inhibit touching your nose and mouth with germ-laden fingers and also tend to inhibit touching your germ-laden nose and mouth with your fingers.

Thus largely eliminating that two-way transmission mode.

That's good enough reason for me to wear one.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 18, 2020, 11:10:06 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #145 on: July 19, 2020, 06:20:40 PM »
The lock-downs lasted for months, and some places are locking down again. How many months are people going to keep wearing masks? There's talk of a vaccine coming at the end of this year, or beginning of next year. Till then? Or however many years it takes to get one?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #146 on: July 19, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »
Masks are pretty much a normal sight in several other countries, especially ones with high population densities.   It wouldn't surprise me at all if, at least in dense cities, masks are a common sight from here on out.

As far as local.gov mandates? I suspect their length is going to depend on how many lawsuits we see about executive over reach.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2020, 12:16:15 AM »
Masks are pretty much a normal sight in several other countries, especially ones with high population densities.   It wouldn't surprise me at all if, at least in dense cities, masks are a common sight from here on out.

As far as local.gov mandates? I suspect their length is going to depend on how many lawsuits we see about executive over reach.

You mean like,  from now until doomsday?   :O
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2020, 01:09:51 AM »

This isn't several other countries, though. How long will Americans bother with it?

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2020, 07:41:57 AM »
Perhaps I was unclear?

I think it's likely that there will be some Americans, especially in densely populated cities, that just wear masks in public now.  I think that it (mask wearing) is just going to be something you see sometimes. Like Islamic head coverings or Uggs.  The actual individuals will change (perhaps Martha feels sick today, but it'll be Karen next week) but I think you will see masks as a not uncommon sight in America from now on.  Like it is in several other countries.

I think between the added fear of a pandemic that affected them, the country wide inability to make informed risk management decisions,  and the amount of virtue invested in making by a lot of people  it's part of the American culture now.