Author Topic: Mandatory masks?  (Read 23069 times)

fifth_column

• friend
Re: Mandatory masks?
« Reply #225 on: July 28, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »
And they should be fought, tooth and nail.

Don't think I've ever met a societal norm I didn't want to fight . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #226 on: July 28, 2020, 11:35:09 AM »
Just saw a guy riding a donor bike, without a helmet on, but he did have his mask on.   :rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #227 on: July 28, 2020, 06:56:45 PM »
And they should be fought, tooth and nail.

and I have yet to see anyone really fight them, lots of bitching on the internet and floods of memes on Facebook, comments on twitchy, but no real warrior type fighting.

[popcorn] [popcorn] [popcorn]
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #228 on: July 28, 2020, 09:56:36 PM »
and I have yet to see anyone really fight them, lots of bitching on the internet and floods of memes on Facebook, comments on twitchy, but no real warrior type fighting.

Bread and circuses work all the way up until they don't or there is a collapse.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #229 on: July 28, 2020, 10:07:36 PM »

I keep coming across articles in conservative media that say we should fight back. I even see some that claim to have "specific" or "concrete" steps to take. But they aren't that specific or concrete. A lot of people that aren't attending a college, or don't have a weekly column, or aren't social media celebrities aren't very well-placed to do or say things people will pay attention to.

Of course, there are school board meetings and city council meetings, but I wonder how many of those are even open to the public right now.
https://www.wisn.com/article/woman-arrested-cited-in-social-distance-standoff/32393163

Oh, I almost forgot about the anti-lockdown protests. It might be nice to see more organizing on the right, but with the other side having full control of the media...
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #230 on: July 28, 2020, 10:30:16 PM »
Just saw a guy riding a donor bike, without a helmet on, but he did have his mask on.   :rofl:

I saw grandma in Charlottesville today, 8 year old kid in the frontseat with no seatbelt, but we're worried about covid.

Fight back? Blow up your TV, and go about life as normal as possible.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #231 on: July 29, 2020, 08:53:12 AM »
Fight back at the ballot box.  Identify candidates that are not leftists and contribute to their campaigns (even if in other districts/states). 

I think an election loss for Dems in November is the only way this stops.  If Democrats win, they will learn the lesson that supporting violence and mobs is the way to victory.  You will damn well expect more before the next election. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #232 on: July 29, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
Well, I finally saw my first tiff over masks at the 7-11 this morning.

Guy, let's call him Karl (the equivalent of a Karen) is giving this woman crap for not wearing a mask.

He's got a paper napkin over his nose and mouth. She's bitching about that... He's saying that it's the same as a paper mask, she's KILLING PEOPLE!!!!!, and he's there to buy an ear loop mask. She tells him to mind his own effing business, pays, and leaves.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #233 on: August 01, 2020, 12:00:38 PM »
From everything I've read masks work pretty darn well during pandemics if everyone is wearing them.

The question then becomes is the current "pandemic" really a pandemic that requires such extraordinary measures as masking everyone up?

Once the avalanche and cascade of lies about covid became known it really muddied the water for me on the whole issue.

Living in clown world as I do, masks are required to function normally throughout the day.

It's just annoying that so much of the data is so corrupted that there is no way to make a good risk assessment.

I'm stuck with the precautionary principle when intuitively it appears the primary time of danger has past.   

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #234 on: August 01, 2020, 12:36:42 PM »
From everything I've read masks work pretty darn well during pandemics if everyone is wearing them.

The question then becomes is the current "pandemic" really a pandemic that requires such extraordinary measures as masking everyone up?

Once the avalanche and cascade of lies about covid became known it really muddied the water for me on the whole issue.

Living in clown world as I do, masks are required to function normally throughout the day.

It's just annoying that so much of the data is so corrupted that there is no way to make a good risk assessment.

I'm stuck with the precautionary principle when intuitively it appears the primary time of danger has past.   

Intuitively, I am not sure on this.  Our (the US) new case rate is rising, and we are entering the season where Flu like illnesses expand, not contract.  With the lack of really reliable data I won't care to guess at the extent of the COVID-19 surge I think we'll see in the coming months, but I think it will be worse than the springs "peak".  There's still enough COVID in the wild (so to speak) I think we will see a lot more.

I have no real hard evidence for this however.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #236 on: August 04, 2020, 08:54:57 AM »
https://fox8.com/news/coronavirus/video-shows-fight-breaking-out-after-woman-throws-coffee-at-man-not-wearing-mask/

How do you eat and wear a mask? Also, she broke distancing protocol to throw the coffee. Hopefully she's arrested.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #237 on: August 09, 2020, 08:30:46 AM »
Does anyone else notice a big uptick in articles and stories about how masks in public aren't even effective?

I just need to move out to the country, this is just exhausting  :facepalm:

Here's a new emoji for the board  

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #238 on: August 09, 2020, 09:18:26 AM »
Does anyone else notice a big uptick in articles and stories about how masks in public aren't even effective?

No.  I keep seeing articles about how so-and-so didn't wear a mask and now they are dead.  The tone is almost gleeful.
"It's good, though..."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #239 on: August 09, 2020, 09:21:43 AM »

Here's a new emoji for the board  

Yeah, but that's just Donald Trump trying to kill us all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #240 on: August 09, 2020, 10:08:45 AM »
Latest bit of stupidity I saw regarding masks...

Wearing masks causes Legionnaire's Disease!

Uhm... NO.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #241 on: August 09, 2020, 10:40:11 AM »
Latest bit of stupidity I saw regarding masks...

Wearing masks causes Legionnaire's Disease!

Uhm... NO.

The point that I saw was that wearing the same dirty masks all day, for multiple days has been causing respiratory problems including Legionnaires disease but I'l go along with you on BS-ing the legionnaires disease part and still agree that the average Joe isn't trained and knowledgeable enough about proper PPE hygiene not to severely increase their risk of illness from dirty gear.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #242 on: August 09, 2020, 10:58:10 AM »
This is an interesting study from Duke University on masks.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/us/duke-university-face-mask-test-trnd/index.html

I can see the neck gaiter problem. I wear neck gaiters in the Winter sometimes. I got one of these thin ones people are wearing now thinking it would serve a dual purpose as a COVID mask and also dust mask when I'm on the tractor. It sucked at the latter*, so I can see them also being ineffective as a virus mask.

*Well, it kinda helped, but I could still smell dust, and if you blow your nose afterwards and the kleenex is the color of dirt, it's probably not catching much, and dust particles are bigger than virus particles.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #243 on: August 09, 2020, 12:30:27 PM »
Checkmate,  pointless County mandate.

"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #244 on: August 11, 2020, 04:39:19 PM »
The point that I saw was that wearing the same dirty masks all day, for multiple days has been causing respiratory problems including Legionnaires disease but I'l go along with you on BS-ing the legionnaires disease part and still agree that the average Joe isn't trained and knowledgeable enough about proper PPE hygiene not to severely increase their risk of illness from dirty gear.

As I understand it, Legionella bacteria only reproduce in water environments and are spread primarily through aerosolization of water such as in spas, water heaters, and air conditioning systems that have constant standing water (drip pans that don't drain completely).

That's not the case with masks unless you're waterboarding yourself constantly.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #245 on: August 11, 2020, 05:47:46 PM »
If you watch some of these sjw talk without a mask they are like a sprinkler system.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #246 on: August 11, 2020, 05:49:58 PM »
The school district my grandsons go to will be back in person.
The kids have to wear a mask on the bus.
The 8 year old won't have to wear a mask in class but his 14 year old brother will.
 :facepalm:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #247 on: August 11, 2020, 06:20:14 PM »
Checkmate,  pointless County mandate.

What is this?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #248 on: August 11, 2020, 06:52:00 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #249 on: August 11, 2020, 07:11:11 PM »

In today's environment I can't tell 8f that's supposed to be satire or real.
Please tell me it's a joke.

Samuel Adams