Author Topic: Dallas salon owner jailed for defying police state  (Read 7205 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Dallas salon owner jailed for defying police state
« on: May 06, 2020, 09:56:49 AM »
Dallas salon owner Shelley Luther sentenced to a week in jail. Her crime? Trying to keep herself and her fellow beauticians financially afloat during a police-state lockdown.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-lockdown-dallas-woman-7-days-jail-refusing-to-close-salon-shelley-luther/

I looked up the judge on FB. Unabashed Obama supporter, pics and all. I hope the case gets picked up by some liberty-minded group and hizzoner gets the notoriety he rightfully deserves.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.v.moye

A GoFundMe account has been set up for the salon owner's legal bills.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/kpzy2g-salon-a-la-mode

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: Dallas salon owner jailed for defying police state
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:59:38 AM »
Meanwhile they're releasing rapists and burglars because they don't want them to catch C19.  
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:02:52 AM »
Dallas salon owner Shelley Luther sentenced to a week in jail. Her crime? Trying to keep herself and her fellow beauticians financially afloat during a police-state lockdown.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-lockdown-dallas-woman-7-days-jail-refusing-to-close-salon-shelley-luther/

I looked up the judge on FB. Unabashed Obama supporter, pics and all. I hope the case gets picked up by some liberty-minded group and hizzoner gets the notoriety he rightfully deserves.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.v.moye

Brad

OH. It gets better.

She's not in jail for breaking the lockdown. She's in jail because she refused to kowtow to the state and say she was wrong and selfish.

THAT'S even more egregious. She's in jail for the thoughtcrime more than the actual crime.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 10:07:09 AM »
The part I really don't get is that they want her to apologize and say she was wrong and selfish. If it was a mala in se sort of crime, I could maybe understand, but even then, when did judges become Sunday school teachers? ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
I feel like there ought to be pretty easy First Ammendment grounds to appeal a jail sentance for saying (or not saying) something.

Although she's missing out on a great oppurtunity to deadpan a proforma apology with a morse code message torn into her sweater.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »
She looks a bit like Charlize Theron.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
She looks a bit like Charlize Theron.

From which movie? The prostitute/serial killer one? 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 01:27:44 PM »
I find it interesting that the court issued a Temporary Restraining Order based on the Gov's order, then sentenced her to jail for violating the TRO.

Neatly sidesteps any criminal charges, so she can't demand a jury.  Also, some nice mission creep from the TRO process that "is used to protect women from abusers ".  Red Flag Order is probably inbound.

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 01:54:20 PM »
Hizzoner the Guv weighs in.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/state-regional/gov-abbott-releases-statement-about-jailing-of-dallas-salon-owner/?fbclid=IwAR0uz3UQFh26_GLFEjDmowKJn9ojSK9YWLSDgNZAhbIdDvfarM03Xi6rj9Y

I support a lot of what he does for Texas but him scowling at a situation that's directly tied to his state shutdown orders is the height of hypocrisy. There are more than a few folks who need to be bitch-slapped right now.

Brad
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 02:40:04 PM »
Hizzoner the Guv weighs in.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/state-regional/gov-abbott-releases-statement-about-jailing-of-dallas-salon-owner/?fbclid=IwAR0uz3UQFh26_GLFEjDmowKJn9ojSK9YWLSDgNZAhbIdDvfarM03Xi6rj9Y

I support a lot of what he does for Texas but him scowling at a situation that's directly tied to his state shutdown orders is the height of hypocrisy. There are more than a few folks who need to be bitch-slapped right now.

Brad
Given the judge made it part of a restraining order, I am not sure what the Governor has the power to do.  What is the appeal process for that sort of thing?  Or is there one?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 02:54:03 PM »
Now TX Attorney General Paxton has waded into the fray...

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/05/06/texas-attorney-general-ken-paxton-immediate-release-jailed-dallas-salon-owner-shelley-luther/?fbclid=IwAR1-NYv7PuY3h85iZch7oJ74HaxVU0_Ghfsv8n26tCMYT3piO4Bpe5IYlQI

Statement, summarized:
(1) You overstepped your authority.
2) Even if were a jailable offense, the punishment is ridiculously disproportionate with the supposed crime.
3) We have our eye on you.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 03:00:48 PM »
Given the judge made it part of a restraining order, I am not sure what the Governor has the power to do.  What is the appeal process for that sort of thing?  Or is there one?

Unknown, but presume there is.

Judge Moy is an unabashed liberal Obama supporter with a history of hotheadedness (google Carlos Cortez, Eric V. Moy, assault) and a penchant for overzealous procedural adherence. The lady didn't respect his authoritah and had to be punished. Given his history, the fact that she's white and conservative likely played a part, too.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 04:36:52 PM »
New and improved Gestapo tactics... SWAT team raid on a bar owner who dares open for business because they can't afford to stay closed any longer.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/state-regional/swat-team-raids-texas-bar-for-reopening-hosting-protest/?fbclid=IwAR1bsz1IkiAirkU5tcIIp5m7Sch8hZIbG3kscIAy5ZoDchHZ9jWQBs2epiU

Police departments really need to be careful right now. Some of them are going full retard. This is prima facie evidence.

They need to be careful who they pick on, too. This was in Odessa, a west Texas roughneck, redneck, rough-and-tumble oil town with hot tempers and lots of folks with questionable morals, flexible ethics, and plenty of firepower. They're already on edge because of recent oil price plunges and the related job losses. Not folks who's buttons I'd want to go around punching. I go through Odessa occasionally, but only if I'm well-strapped and have plenty of daylight. More than a few there who wouldn't think twice about going back to prison for popping some jackhole who's abusing Badge & Gun privileges.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:39:14 PM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »
Accountability Roster.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 11:02:37 PM »
New and improved Gestapo tactics... SWAT team raid on a bar owner who dares open for business because they can't afford to stay closed any longer.

https://www.everythinglubbock.com/news/state-regional/swat-team-raids-texas-bar-for-reopening-hosting-protest/?fbclid=IwAR1bsz1IkiAirkU5tcIIp5m7Sch8hZIbG3kscIAy5ZoDchHZ9jWQBs2epiU

Police departments really need to be careful right now. Some of them are going full retard. This is prima facie evidence.

They need to be careful who they pick on, too. This was in Odessa, a west Texas roughneck, redneck, rough-and-tumble oil town with hot tempers and lots of folks with questionable morals, flexible ethics, and plenty of firepower. They're already on edge because of recent oil price plunges and the related job losses. Not folks who's buttons I'd want to go around punching. I go through there occasionally, but only if I'm well-strapped and have plenty of daylight. More than a few there who wouldn't think twice about going back to prison for popping some jackhole who's abusing Badge & Gun privileges.

Brad

Odessa's err... "finest" didn't seem to be quite up for a sustained.... Well, anything really. Standing looked like it would wind the members of "Meal Team Six"* that went all gestapo on the peaceful protestors.

It won't go well if those types of people you mention decide to resist.

*I stole that from elsewhere. I also liked "Porker, Texas Ranger" and "Green Buffets" and "Size 54 Where are you?"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2020, 11:20:38 PM »
This shows just how civilized and generally peaceful your average gun toting, law abiding redneck really is.
Until you push them too far. We aren't there yet, I hope we don't get there ever. But damn, the jackboots are starting to push their luck.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2020, 11:28:53 PM »
This shows just how civilized and generally peaceful your average gun toting, law abiding redneck really is.
Americans have always been generally peaceful and law abiding. Back in the 18th Century, it took years - decades! - of increasingly abusive British misrule of their colonies in North America before "the shot heard 'round the world" was finally fired.

Until you push them too far. We aren't there yet, I hope we don't get there ever. But damn, the jackboots are starting to push their luck.
Revolutions aren't fun - for anyone involved. Let's hope sanity prevails and the lefties step back from the brink.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2020, 10:43:47 AM »
Apparently Meal Team Six didn't go unnoticed (I am flagrantly ripping that off for daily use, by the way. Coffee coming our your nose hurts.)

https://www.facebook.com/ectorcountysheriffsoffice/

Aside from a smattering of "Thank You's", the preponderance of comments is decidedly negative, evenly split between "Get a brain, moron" and "Get some insulin, stat". Entertaining, for sure.

Brad
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 11:20:12 AM »
Americans have always been generally peaceful and law abiding. Back in the 18th Century, it took years - decades! - of increasingly abusive British misrule of their colonies in North America before "the shot heard 'round the world" was finally fired.
Revolutions aren't fun - for anyone involved. Let's hope sanity prevails and the lefties step back from the brink.

The little I have heard about past vigilante groups in the US, it was the same.  It took some pretty over the top actions to force people to take action and even then they often didn't kill them. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2020, 11:34:12 AM »
Governor Abbott issues amendment to his EO clarifying that jail time is not an option when it comes to folks who's businesses were shut down through no action of their own.

https://scontent-dfw5-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/96683576_10163707239040088_1213887938308341760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=M8ywhQxXWisAX_GsTNw&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-1.xx&oh=d3d30fc2ec53cb5bfd07ea1e3eb6c70a&oe=5EDAFDA0

Also, the Ector County Sheriff is in some serious hot water with his constabulary. I'm seeing several reports that crowds are increasingly gathering outside his personal home, and not for pie and ice cream. I hope they keep their wits about them and their heads on straight or this could turn bad.

Brad
-HankB

Brad Johnson

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
Texas Supreme Court has spoken on the Salon a la Mode case. Set her free, or else.

https://www.kcbd.com/2020/05/07/texas-gov-greg-abbott-updates-executive-order-protect-dallas-salon-owner-others-who-ignore-shutdown-orders/?fbclid=IwAR2leVegKs-em84xHYfxfOy7_redwnzrdwFYZqhhewb9OgLjyMBo-2VI7Wo

Maybe this is a turning point but I'm not holding my breath.

Brad
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 09:54:30 AM by Brad Johnson »
-HankB

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2020, 04:01:15 PM »

Also, the Ector County Sheriff is in some serious hot water with his constabulary. I'm seeing several reports that crowds are increasingly gathering outside his personal home, and not for pie and ice cream. I hope they keep their wits about them and their heads on straight or this could turn bad.

Brad
Sometimes I think it would be healthy in the long run for some bad stuff to happen to law enforcement officials who exceed their authority.  I just hope the people involved are judicious in their use of force, pick the right targets, and don't all get slammed by the law in response.  At the least, I hope they throw him out of office the next election.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2020, 09:25:35 PM »

That GoFundMe is no longer accepting contributions. Does anyone know why?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2020, 09:45:12 PM »
That GoFundMe is no longer accepting contributions. Does anyone know why?

Because they're against using it for anyone right of Marx?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2020, 10:06:14 PM »
Because they're against using it for anyone right of Marx?

There are certain members of congress that if Marx was alive today would probably label him a far right extremist  
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes