Main Forums > The Roundtable

Jogger shot in Georgia

(1/44) > >>

T.O.M.:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5174327002

Black male out jogging during daylight hours.  Two white males see him, call police to report that they see a suspect in recent break ins running... "hauling ass"...through the neighborhood.  White males arm up (shotgun and .357 revolver), and pursue runner in their truck.   Get in front of runner, then confront him.  Fight ensues.  Runner is shot and killed.

When I first heard of this, it was in relation to the first prosecutor on the case stating that the shooting was justified under Georgia citizen arrest laws.  I've also read that some legal expert said the shooting was justified because the runner, when confronted, attacked one of the men, making it self defense/defense of others.  I've seen the video now.  Seems clear to me that the runner was actually running for exercise, based on dress and behavior (consistent pace, following roadway, etc.)

I'm a jogger.  I run through neighborhoods all the time.  I have had crazy things happen...been confronted by people, accused of doing things.  As often as not, I try to just keep on jogging.  If I was 25, and I was confronted by a male (not an LEO) with a long gun, I might just try and struggle for control of that gun. 

This one seems bad for the shooter to me.  Thoughts?

Ron:
Is it ever a good to idea to go out looking for an opportunity exercise vigilante justice or play law enforcement officer?

Ben:

--- Quote from: T.O.M. on May 07, 2020, 07:34:12 AM ---https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/5174327002

Seems clear to me that the runner was actually running for exercise, based on dress and behavior (consistent pace, following roadway, etc.)

This one seems bad for the shooter to me.  Thoughts?

--- End quote ---

Watching the video yesterday, I came to the same conclusion.

MechAg94:

--- Quote from: Ron on May 07, 2020, 08:09:05 AM ---Is it ever a good to idea to go out looking for an opportunity exercise vigilante justice or play law enforcement officer?

--- End quote ---
Not really.  Even less so when people are taking video of it.  Even if they just confronted and held the guy, it opens up liability concerns. 
If he was just jogging at a consistent pace, they could have called police. 

makattak:
The video really doesn't look good for the two shooters.

They would have been justified to ASK him to stop, or to follow at a distance until police arrived, but I saw no evidence they had a reason to attempt to stop him. (By getting, armed, out of the vehicle.)

The jogger could very easily have seen that as a threat to his life. (And, I would argue, DID.)

Reading more about the case, I'm betting the fact that the two shooters were white had much less to do with the lack of charges than the fact that the shooter was a former police officer.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version