Main Forums > The Roundtable

Snowbird down

<< < (2/8) > >>

MechAg94:
I had questions.  The video gives a little more information about what kind of jets these were and the ejection.  Sounds like they hit the ground hard even with ejection. 

makattak:
I hate to see the death of a pilot, but I'm also relieved no one in the house was hurt.

Hawkmoon:

--- Quote ---The Snowbirds aerobatics team was scheduled to leave Kamloops at 10 a.m. and head to Kelowna via Merritt, Princeton, and Vernon today. The Operation Inspiration tour started in Nova Scotia earlier this month and was aimed at boosting morale as Canadians continue to struggle with the COVID-19 pandemic.
--- End quote ---

I don't understand how sending a bunch of highly-paid adults out to play in public with toys the average person can't afford is in any way a morale booster to people who can't work because their employers' businesses have been shut down.

BobR:

--- Quote from: MechAg94 on May 18, 2020, 10:04:51 AM ---I had questions.  The video gives a little more information about what kind of jets these were and the ejection.  Sounds like they hit the ground hard even with ejection. 

--- End quote ---

I was wondering about the ejection seat envelope and the video answered that. From the looks of the video they were in a bad attitude when they initiated the ejection sequence and it kind of shot them into the ground with no chute deployment. As an older trainer type of plane I didn't think they had zero/zero seats but you never know.

bob

Fly320s:

--- Quote from: French G. on May 18, 2020, 09:52:41 AM ---This is what I worried about when we started those stupid flyovers. Unnecessary combination of combat aircraft and densely populated areas. Never a big fan of air shows, too much risk, no reward.

--- End quote ---

The Snowbirds do not fly combat aircraft.  They fly old, slow trainers.  I know you were referencing the US flyovers, though.

"John Cuday, president of the Virginia-based International Council of Air Shows, contends air shows are safe for spectators. No spectator at an airshow – which has different rules than air races -- has been killed since the 1950s because of safety measures in place, he said."  https://www.daytondailynews.com/news/local/how-safe-are-air-shows-here-how-many-crashes-occurred-past-decade/BUvmdtqlXZXAUYumQvpzSP/

Safer than racing cars.  https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nascar-auto-racing/thatsracin/article9152399.html

--- Quote ---As for this one my bet is engine ate a bird and then spontaneously disassembled.
--- End quote ---
You might have this piece right.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version