Author Topic: Gut feeling: Churches will take lead in the lockdown revolt  (Read 7286 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Gut feeling: Churches will take lead in the lockdown revolt
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2020, 03:42:59 PM »
About 100 local restaurants are planning to open tomorrow afternoon in defiance of the lockdown orders.  A lot of them are open already but only outside seating allowed, which is not enough capacity to pay the bills.  They are going to open the dining rooms.  I just found out about it today.  I've made reservations for happy hour at one and asked to be seated inside.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2020, 04:36:13 PM »
About 100 local restaurants are planning to open tomorrow afternoon in defiance of the lockdown orders.  A lot of them are open already but only outside seating allowed, which is not enough capacity to pay the bills.  They are going to open the dining rooms.  I just found out about it today.  I've made reservations for happy hour at one and asked to be seated inside.

Where?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

zxcvbob

• friend
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2020, 05:21:51 PM »
Cool. Just make sure the restaurant says something about black lives, and the Covid should pass over. (Or do you have to put the blood of dead police officers on the door post and on the lintel? I forget.)

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2020, 06:55:45 PM »
Racetracks in Pennsylvania are having events, the first one they had waivers for everyone, did social distance stuff, still got threatened by the county health officials. Now the tracks that still follow "recommendations" from the governor and don't race are getting dragged on social media hard. One can't win, they are owned by the county fair board. With respect to this thread in central Pennsylvania there is church, but only if there is not a sprint car race at the same time.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
Cool. Just make sure the restaurant says something about black lives, and the Covid should pass over. (Or do you have to put the blood of dead police officers on the door post and on the lintel? I forget.)

We went to the restaurant at 16:00, and they didn't have our reservation, but they had plenty of seating so that didn't matter -- all outside.  They had reached a compromise with the governor and will be opening up for real on Wednesday (not sure what the date was before last Friday) and they didn't want to screw that up.  They also didn't have happy hour pricing because covid  ($1 off tap beers, $2 off appetizers)  It was still a nice outing with Wife, I guess ;)  but expensive for what it was.  ($40 plus a tip for 1 beer, 1 calamari appetizer, and a large salad)
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 08:07:03 PM »
^

Do you mean,

$40 plus a tip for 2 beers, 2 calamari appetizers, and two large salads?

In other words 1 item each for you and your wife?

That doesn't sound bad.  Unless you and  your wife went "dutch treat" or the beers were some $pecialty brew.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2020, 08:50:11 PM »
^

Do you mean,

$40 plus a tip for 2 beers, 2 calamari appetizers, and two large salads?

In other words 1 item each for you and your wife?

That doesn't sound bad.  Unless you and  your wife went "dutch treat" or the beers were some $pecialty brew.

No.  I had a beer and calamari.  She had water and a fancy salad with sliced chicken in it.  The beer was $6, the calamari was $14, and the salad was $15.  I don't know how that totals $40 and change; the tax rate isn't *that* high here, but the total also isn't enough that they sneaked in an 18% gratuity on me.  It was only off by about $3 so I didn't make a scene but will know to be careful next time I go there.
"It's good, though..."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2020, 09:32:44 PM »
Speaking of churches, our Sunday school bus has been idle for a couple of months now. Somebody stole the catalytic converter. Musta figured we weren't using it, so we didn't need it.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2020, 09:35:55 PM »
Speaking of churches, our Sunday school bus has been idle for a couple of months now. Somebody stole the catalytic converter. Musta figured we weren't using it, so we didn't need it.

Are you gonna replace it, or put in a straight pipe and claim a religious exemption if you get caught?  8)
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »

Happened to our church a while back.  Annoying and expensive, for sure.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2020, 12:02:53 AM »
Are you gonna replace it, or put in a straight pipe and claim a religious exemption if you get caught?  8)

It would encourage social distancing...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »
No.  I had a beer and calamari.  She had water and a fancy salad with sliced chicken in it.  The beer was $6, the calamari was $14, and the salad was $15.  I don't know how that totals $40 and change; the tax rate isn't *that* high here, but the total also isn't enough that they sneaked in an 18% gratuity on me.  It was only off by about $3 so I didn't make a scene but will know to be careful next time I go there.

Yeah, that sounds pretty stiff.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
AKA Navy Joe   

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2020, 05:24:24 PM »
And of course Ace speedway is under assault by the state lawyers. No word if Gov. Cooper will be suing BLM protesters too.
AKA Navy Joe   

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2020, 12:16:55 PM »
After other states were roundly trounced by their citizens for cracking down on church services, California ups the ante.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-singing-ban-church-coronavirus-restriction

Banning singing in church? Seriously?

On a related note, NM has also re-instituted their 14-day quarantine for travelers. The criteria is supposedly entering the state and staying a night. It's depressing how many people are lauding the move as "responsible leadership" while conveniently dismissing the darker elements involved. History has indeed begun to repeat itself, and not one of the better parts, I'm afraid. The only solace is that it's waking up some lib-types to their utopic leadership's ulterior motives. Unfortunately, it's also playing right into the hands of others who see it as the path to Ultimate Societal Enlightenment.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 12:30:03 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2020, 01:26:50 PM »
After other states were roundly trounced by their citizens for cracking down on church services, California ups the ante.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/california-singing-ban-church-coronavirus-restriction

On a related note, NM has also re-instituted their 14-day quarantine for travelers. The criteria is supposedly entering the state and staying a night. It's depressing how many people are lauding the move as "responsible leadership" while conveniently dismissing the darker elements involved. History has indeed begun to repeat itself, and not one of the better parts, I'm afraid. The only solace is that it's waking up some lib-types to their utopic leadership's ulterior motives. Unfortunately, it's also playing right into the hands of others who see it as the path to Ultimate Societal Enlightenment.

Brad

Let those refuse to sing,
Who never knew our God;
But children of the heav’nly King
May speak their joys abroad.

https://library.timelesstruths.org/music/Were_Marching_to_Zion/

It may be time for the churches of California to go caroling in front of the Governor's residence.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2020, 07:49:19 PM »
So John MacArthur, who's kind of a big deal in American Evangelical circles, has gone from "per the Scriptures, we must obey these temporary restrictions, as all law is ordained by the will of God," to "OK, now you're just messing with God's people, Newsom, so we're opening right back up."

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/25/john-macarthurs-church-defies-california-orders-to-close-doors/

Good.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2020, 08:10:31 PM »
So John MacArthur, who's kind of a big deal in American Evangelical circles, has gone from "per the Scriptures, we must obey these temporary restrictions, as all law is ordained by the will of God," to "OK, now you're just messing with God's people, Newsom, so we're opening right back up."

https://thefederalist.com/2020/07/25/john-macarthurs-church-defies-california-orders-to-close-doors/

Good.

Word this morning was that CA was threatening to turn off their power.  Have not heard how that went.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2020, 08:36:30 PM »

Good.

I hope this is just the beginning.

Adults can assess their own risk.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2020, 08:49:16 PM »
Word this morning was that CA was threatening to turn off their power.  Have not heard how that went.

I'm not seeing anything further on this, so no news is good news? 'Course, the Commies could always do something tomorrow. Or just let Antifa go after them.  ;/

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
I'm not seeing anything further on this, so no news is good news? 'Course, the Commies could always do something tomorrow. Or just let Antifa go after them.  ;/

Have not heard.

Turns out, there's some prior interaction between Johnny Mac and that Newsome guy.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKV8ad4YPoo
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2020, 09:01:13 PM »
Have not heard.

Turns out, there's some prior interaction between Johnny Mac and that Newsome guy.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKV8ad4YPoo

Looking at the smirk on Newsome's face in that video makes me want just walk up and punch him in the moth to wipe that supercilious smile off his face.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2020, 11:27:03 PM »

(originally posted in another thread)
https://babylonbee.com/news/governor-newsom-enraged-after-hearing-churches-singing-down-in-whoville
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama