Author Topic: Why does this article express surprise?  (Read 1264 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Why does this article express surprise?
« on: May 22, 2020, 12:36:59 AM »
Article makes a big deal out of reporting that only 43 percent of Americans know what Memorial Day commemorates.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/867024/memorial-day-2020-americans-true-meaning-survey/

To be honest, I'm surprised it's that high. I go on a rant every year because all over the Internet on and around Memorial Day I see all kinds of posts thanking veterans and current active duty for their service, when Memorial Day isn't for them. Technically, it's also not for deceased veterans. It's a day to remember those who died in service to the country, and I very much disapprove of allowing that to be watered down to meaninglessness by using it as an opportunity to thank other classes of servicemen (and women), who have their own days at other times of the year.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Why does this article express surprise?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 02:01:11 AM »
Article makes a big deal out of reporting that only 43 percent of Americans know what Memorial Day commemorates.

https://www.the-sun.com/news/867024/memorial-day-2020-americans-true-meaning-survey/

To be honest, I'm surprised it's that high. I go on a rant every year because all over the Internet on and around Memorial Day I see all kinds of posts thanking veterans and current active duty for their service, when Memorial Day isn't for them. Technically, it's also not for deceased veterans. It's a day to remember those who died in service to the country, and I very much disapprove of allowing that to be watered down to meaninglessness by using it as an opportunity to thank other classes of servicemen (and women), who have their own days at other times of the year.

IMHO, it's the one day out of the year that it's not appropriate to thank vets (or active duty for that matter) for their service.
"It's good, though..."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 04:33:58 AM »
I usually get calls from my mom saying she was thinking of me.  ;/
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 06:03:40 AM »
Reminder:

On Memorial Day, the flag of the United States is raised briskly to the top of the staff and then solemnly lowered to the half-staff position, where it remains only until noon.[73] It is then raised to full-staff for the remainder of the day.[74]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memorial_Day

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 05:24:56 PM »
In a Primary Arms e-mail received earlier today
In recognition of Memorial Day, Primary Arms would like to thank all veterans and active duty military, who risk great sacrifice in the protection of our nation.

Just got this from Primary Arms
Earlier today we sent out an email with a horrible mistake.  We used an inappropriate banner and Veterans Day language for the somber occasion of Memorial Day. We understand this is a day of remembrance and have a deep appreciation for the men and women who gave their lives protecting freedom. Please accept our sincere apology.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 06:01:29 PM »
In a Primary Arms e-mail received earlier today
Just got this from Primary Arms

Good on them.

A simple poppy would've done.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 06:04:45 PM »
And a little something from Vox on Memorial Day

“We ought to also set aside time to remember those throughout American history who have tried hardest to reduce [war], to prevent unnecessary loss of life both American and foreign: war resisters,” writes @dylanmatt. https://t.co/GLKLOOcuO5

— Vox (@voxdotcom) May 25, 2020

Perfect reply

*expletive deleted*ck off.

— Tested Negative for Coronavirus 2x J.G. Petruna (@jgpetruna) May 25, 2020
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2020, 07:34:40 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqqy6ZyWYjc
Douglas Munro and the Battle of the Matanikau

I didn't notice this video until today. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »
I'd seen the title but hadn't watched it yet, would have been appropriate for yesterday.

I only "found" The History Guy a couple of months ago but I really like his subject matter and his presentation style
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams