Author Topic: Election fraud again.  (Read 14529 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Election fraud again.
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2020, 01:31:19 PM »
I posted this in another thread a couple of days ago:

Washington state first began voting by mail in special elections in 1983, began permanent absentee voting by mail in 1991, and virtually all counties switched to all mail ballots in 2005.  Other than some races not being decided until two weeks after election day after all the ballots trickle in and are counted, it has been a pretty trouble-free process. I have voted only by mail since 1991.  Starting two years ago, you don't even have to put a stamp on the ballot.  You can mail the ballots or drop them into a collection box. We usually drop them in the box since collection boxes are outside libraries, amongst other places, and I go to the library often.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2020, 02:52:50 PM »
Do they just mail to all registered voter? And do they have good checks on the voter roles?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2020, 03:28:26 PM »

Washington state first began voting by mail in special elections in 1983, began permanent absentee voting by mail in 1991, and virtually all counties switched to all mail ballots in 2005.  Other than some races not being decided until two weeks after election day after all the ballots trickle in and are counted, it has been a pretty trouble-free process. I have voted only by mail since 1991.  Starting two years ago, you don't even have to put a stamp on the ballot.  You can mail the ballots or drop them into a collection box. We usually drop them in the box since collection boxes are outside libraries, amongst other places, and I go to the library often.

Pretty similar to what I was doing in CA before I left. You just get your ballots without asking.

I'm still not totally familiar with Idaho methodology, and we're apparently changing right now due to COVID. However up until now, I have voted absentee. To do so, I have to go to my county website and download a form that I then mail or email to them. I have to specify that I want absenteee and also which elections I want to have absentee ballots for, sign the form and send it in. IIRC, I didn't have a choice of more than three upcoming elections. After that, you have to download an updated form and start all over again. Again, they are apparently changing things now, and it sounds like they are moving closer to the CA/WA method.

As far as mail-ins having an effect on an election, I wonder if WA/CA type mail-in is relatively trouble free because of the makeup of those states? I can't see the mail-in ballots not counted till two weeks later having much of an impact in any presidential election. They will likely follow the very liberal demographics of those states. I would expect the same of any predominately conservative states that have a mail-in system.

Where I think it will get tricky is in those swing states where the counts can be close. Mail-ins not fully counted till 2-4 weeks after the election could definitely impact the electoral college, given the electors of the state give their votes based on the popular vote within that state. If it's a close election, and a swing state has enough electoral votes to impact the final count on election night, things could get ugly.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2020, 04:29:02 PM »
I reiterate:

Isn't how states run their elections up to the states?  I feel we already did this rodeo during the "Electoral votes of state X must go to popular vote winner" kerfuffle.

I'm sure legislators are talking and executives are tweeting, because that's what gets them through the day, but they don't currently have the power to do that at a federal level, and there is zero chance they could manage to pass legislation giving them that power in two months.

At the state level?  Yeah, I would probably want to watch that, but are there actual proposals from people with the power to do it?

Much like POTUS tweeting that we should delay the election, it's cute when they talk, but that's not a power the president has.

I covered this seven years ago.  Here's everything our constitution has to say on the matter.

http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=39960.msg810959#msg810959

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2020, 04:48:32 PM »
Where I think it will get tricky is in those swing states where the counts can be close. Mail-ins not fully counted till 2-4 weeks after the election could definitely impact the electoral college, given the electors of the state give their votes based on the popular vote within that state. If it's a close election, and a swing state has enough electoral votes to impact the final count on election night, things could get ugly.

That is a relatively easy fix though.  There is plenty of time to count if we're smart about it.

rather than changing the election date, Congress should act to push back—just for this year—the date by which states have to finalize results and the date on which the electors meet. Pushing those back by two or three weeks could give contested states a lot more breathing room to deal with the actual challenges involved in mail-in voting while the election, certification, and inauguration would all go on as scheduled.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »

If the ballots trickle in for two weeks, why aren’t ALL the results held up until ALL the votes are counted? How do they determine when all the ballots that are going to be cast have been received? What do they do to insure the integrity of ballots in collection boxes?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2020, 06:37:43 PM »
What do they do to insure the integrity of ballots in collection boxes?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
If the ballots trickle in for two weeks, why aren’t ALL the results held up until ALL the votes are counted? How do they determine when all the ballots that are going to be cast have been received? What do they do to insure the integrity of ballots in collection boxes?

For a primary election, the results are certified 17 days after election day, and in a general election, certified 30 days after election day.  Ballots received after those dates are not counted.  Of course, the majority of races are not close and the winner is obvious on or shortly thereafter election day.  Many people in the state, me for one, mail in the ballot early, so those are already in hand and ready to be counted on election day.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #58 on: July 31, 2020, 09:16:26 PM »
After the measured, thoughtful and mostly peaceful debate we've been having about Covid numbers (and everything else the past 20 years), I can't wait for the aftermath of a mail-in election.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2020, 09:18:28 PM »
Do they just mail to all registered voter? And do they have good checks on the voter roles?

You have to be a registered voter to receive a ballot. In order to register to vote in Washington, you have to show or provide your driver's license number or the last four digits of your SSN, which are electronically checked against your name and date of birth.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2020, 11:23:50 PM »
So they don't have any 205 year old woman or over 100% registered voters in any district?

That is the problem I have with mailing them to everyone not just people that request them.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2020, 08:44:24 AM »
Many people in the state, me for one, mail in the ballot early, so those are already in hand and ready to be counted on election day.

I also send mine in early - usually several weeks before the election. That is certainly one way to handle things as well - have a separate, early voting deadline for mail-in ballots that's at least a week prior to the in-person day.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2020, 11:38:24 AM »
You have to be a registered voter to receive a ballot. In order to register to vote in Washington, you have to show or provide your driver's license number or the last four digits of your SSN, which are electronically checked against your name and date of birth.

Which means an illegal immigrant with a drivers license can register to vote.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »
https://twitter.com/mahoneyw/status/1290444593595592705
A judge orders New York’s boards of elections to immediately begin counting many ballots that came in without postmarks
The tweet includes an image of part of the order.  It doesn't say that verbatim.  All I can say is cheating is easy if you don't have to follow even simple rules. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2020, 10:54:34 AM »
I read a story on that. How do ballots come in three days late with no postmark?

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2020, 10:59:45 AM »
I read a story on that. How do ballots come in three days late with no postmark?

Was wondering the same thing
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2020, 11:24:25 AM »
Apparently the USPS was being lazy:

Much of the blame fell on the Postal Service, which failed to postmark thousands of ballots despite a policy that it do so.

“Despite the postal service’s best efforts, there is uncontroverted evidence that thousands of absentee ballots for the June 23 Primary were not postmarked,” Torres wrote. “This could be due to a number of human or mechanical errors.”

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #68 on: August 05, 2020, 11:37:24 AM »
Lazy and or human errors at the USPS. Who would have thunk
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2020, 01:21:46 PM »

It takes at least that long to get them printed, filled in properly and sent to the post office.  Duh!
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2020, 02:24:43 PM »
It takes at least that long to get them printed, filled in properly and sent to the post office.  Duh!
Or they were just added into the mail pile at the vote counting location by someone else.  How would anyone know? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2020, 02:54:04 PM »
So in the big scheme of things, I wonder which is the most inherently secure means of voting: paper ballots or electronic voting machines? I think we discussed this previously, and the consensus of the IT people here was that electronic means could be hacked six ways from Sunday.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2020, 04:34:08 PM »
So in the big scheme of things, I wonder which is the most inherently secure means of voting: paper ballots or electronic voting machines? I think we discussed this previously, and the consensus of the IT people here was that electronic means could be hacked six ways from Sunday.
In my opinion I'd order them as follows:

Paper ballots collected at voting locations monitored by bipartisan election judges
Electronic ballots collected at voting locations monitored by bipartisan election judges
Mail-in paper ballots
Internet-delivered electronic voting.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?