Author Topic: Minneapolis police in the news again  (Read 85480 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Minneapolis police in the news again
« Reply #775 on: June 29, 2020, 12:16:31 PM »
The way I heard it, stuff for your personal use is considered a possession.  Stuff used to make money is considered property.  So your computer is a possession if used for games, and property if used for a small business, or Bitcoin mining, etc.

I've never heard that. The tax bills for my house and car read "Property" tax, not "Possession" tax.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #777 on: June 29, 2020, 01:54:53 PM »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #778 on: June 29, 2020, 02:14:11 PM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/st-louis-couple-defend-their-home-when-protesters-enter-private-neighborhood-video/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wos_daily&utm_content=%5B%5Brssitem_title%5D%5D

If you’ve been paying attention at all, you know that protests can and have turned violent with no notice, frequently while police have stayed back and let it happen. These two people wanted to ensure nothing like that happened to their home. And they likely won’t be the last if protests and violence moves into more residential areas.

I thought this was a good point.  If these protesters decide to take their groups through residential areas, they can probably expect more encounters like this.  Hopefully, future encounters will involve homeowners who understand the difference between being armed and ready and actively pointing their guns at people who are not an immediate threat.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #779 on: June 29, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/st-louis-couple-defend-their-home-when-protesters-enter-private-neighborhood-video/?utm_source=wideopen&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=wos_daily&utm_content=%5B%5Brssitem_title%5D%5D

I thought this was a good point.  If these protesters decide to take their groups through residential areas, they can probably expect more encounters like this.  Hopefully, future encounters will involve homeowners who understand the difference between being armed and ready and actively pointing their guns at people who are not an immediate threat.  

A commenter on that link said illegal trespass can be met with deadly force under Missouri law.  Anyone know the details on that? 
As I understand it, this was a private drive way some of the protesters were pushing into.  One of those pictures showed a gate, but I wasn't sure if they went past that gate.
For what would you arrest the couple? Please cite the applicable section of the Missouri Revised Statute to support your charge.

You might want to read this first, though:

“2. A person shall not use deadly force upon another person under the circumstances specified in subsection 1 of this section unless:

  (3) Such force is used against a person who unlawfully enters, remains after unlawfully entering, or attempts to unlawfully enter private property that is owned or leased by an individual, or is occupied by an individual who has been given specific authority by the property owner to occupy the property, claiming a justification of using protective force under this section.

3. A person does not have a duty to retreat:

  (1) From a dwelling, residence, or vehicle where the person is not unlawfully entering or unlawfully remaining;
  (2) From private property that is owned or leased by such individual; or
  (3) If the person is in any other location such person has the right to be.”

Missouri Revised Statute § 563.031(2)(3)

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #780 on: June 29, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »
Meanwhile in Detroit

Video captures Detroit police SUV drive through crowd of protesters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=90&v=qiKv85jUUaQ&feature=emb_logo

traction control off, donut mode on

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #781 on: June 29, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »
A commenter on that link said illegal trespass can be met with deadly force under Missouri law.  Anyone know the details on that? 
As I understand it, this was a private drive way some of the protesters were pushing into.  One of those pictures showed a gate, but I wasn't sure if they went past that gate.

From what I read, they went past the gate onto the clearly marked private property, including "no trespassing" signs. I have seen a couple of different versions regarding the gate. one says they broke the locked gate open, and the other says that the gate was already open.

Either way, it's like I mention in the home invasion threads: It may be prudent for me to lock my front door to keep people out, but I shouldn't have to.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #782 on: June 29, 2020, 03:51:42 PM »
From what I read, they went past the gate onto the clearly marked private property, including "no trespassing" signs. I have seen a couple of different versions regarding the gate. one says they broke the locked gate open, and the other says that the gate was already open.

Either way, it's like I mention in the home invasion threads: It may be prudent for me to lock my front door to keep people out, but I shouldn't have to.

Gate looks pretty broke to me:

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #783 on: June 29, 2020, 03:52:40 PM »
One more on the same story:

https://www.kmov.com/news/we-were-in-fear-of-our-lives-central-west-end-couple-seen-pointing-guns-at/article_afbb1b2c-b98e-11ea-ba7e-b3452007bfc8.html

However St. Louis Circuit Attorney Kim Gardner said her office is investigating the incident, adding that protesters should not be met with violence.

"I am alarmed at the events that occurred over the weekend, where peaceful protestors were met by guns and a violent assault. We must protect the right to peacefully protest, and any attempt to chill it through intimidation or threat of deadly force will not be tolerated," Gardner tweeted.

Since when is breaking a locked gate and entering posted, private property without authorization part of "peacefully protest[ing]"?

Gate looks pretty broke to me:

Agreed.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #784 on: June 29, 2020, 03:59:41 PM »
the USAToday story about this in the headline said the couple pointed guns at "peaceful protesters", then in the third paragraph the article said the protesters had torn down an iron gate and no trespassing sign to enter the property.  I see they have recently edited the headline.  I still have the original up in an open tab.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #785 on: June 29, 2020, 04:02:52 PM »
the USAToday story about this in the headline said the couple pointed guns at "peaceful protesters", then in the third paragraph the article said the protesters had torn down an iron gate and no trespassing sign to enter the property.  I see they have recently edited the headline.  I still have the original up in an open tab.

They also supposedly threatened to burn down the house and kill their dog. The latter might be enough to have me not just pointing, but pulling the trigger, damn the consequences.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #786 on: June 29, 2020, 04:07:34 PM »
And it appears that the verdict is: Guilty of fourth degree assault by intimidation. By the protestors. That should unglue the MSM.  =D

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/29/police-investigating-armed-couple-in-st-louis-are-considering-the-incident-fourth-degree-assault-by-intimidation-by-the-protesters/

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #787 on: June 29, 2020, 04:24:00 PM »
Dems introduce a bill to repeal the Castle Doctrine in 3... 2... 1...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #788 on: June 29, 2020, 05:12:58 PM »
Dems introduce a bill to repeal the Castle Doctrine in 3... 2... 1...

Well, I don't know what a "circuit attorney" is, but you might not be far off:

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/06/29/st-louis-circuit-attorney-claims-peaceful-protesters-were-met-by-a-violent-assault-right-to-protest-was-chilled/

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #789 on: June 29, 2020, 05:46:10 PM »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #790 on: June 29, 2020, 05:47:13 PM »
That dumbass should educate herself on the law or I will have to call her a dumbass.

ETA: as a resident of Missouri I am embarrassed that she has attorney in her title.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #791 on: June 29, 2020, 06:00:20 PM »
Right to protest
It's what all the cool communist countries have
Oh wait....
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #792 on: June 29, 2020, 06:46:51 PM »
Since when is breaking a locked gate and entering posted, private property without authorization part of "peacefully protest[ing]"?

Murdering store owners, busting car windows and dragging people from cars and burning apartments with kids in them and blocking the fire department from responding is also “peaceful protesting”

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #793 on: June 29, 2020, 07:17:48 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #794 on: June 30, 2020, 10:47:34 AM »
He's excited

“I’m excited to say we have a plan [to cut the NYPD budget] that can achieve real reform, that can achieve real redistribution — while at the same time ensure that we keep our city safe, while we make sure that our officers are on patrol around where we need them around this city,” de Blasio said during his daily City Hall press briefing.

“We can do this, we can strike the balance, we can keep this city safe,” he later added.

While Hizzoner offered few details about his spending cuts plan, he would not guarantee that the NYPD’s police force would remain at its current level of roughly 36,000 officers when pressed by reporters.

“We have found a plan that will keep this city safe, that will achieve the billion dollars in savings,” de Blasio claimed during his daily press briefing Monday.

Separately, de Blasio also said his plan would move at least half-billion dollars from the NYPD’s construction and major projects budget to help fund building improvements at youth centers and public housing.

De Blasio Plan to Cut $1 Billion From NYPD, ‘Achieve Real Redistribution’ as Shootings Reach Dinkins Era Levels
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/de-blasio-plan-to-cut-1-billion-from-nypd-achieve-real-redistribution-as-shootings-reach-dinkins-era-levels/
- Calvin and Hobbes

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #795 on: June 30, 2020, 11:05:55 AM »
At least the Oklahoma County D.A. has the right idea:

https://www.dailywire.com/news/oklahoma-authorities-charge-alleged-rioters-with-terrorism-this-is-not-seattle

Authorities in Oklahoma announced late last week that they were charging alleged rioters with terrorism and assault, saying that they would not put up with “this lawlessness here.”

Oklahoma County District Attorney David Prater reportedly made the decision to get tough on the rioters in an effort to curb any future potential riots.

“This is not Seattle,” Prater said Friday. “We’re not putting up with this lawlessness here.”
Prater defended the charges on Sunday, saying, “When you act like a terrorist, you will be treated like a terrorist.”
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #796 on: June 30, 2020, 12:05:31 PM »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #797 on: June 30, 2020, 12:22:53 PM »
Provo, Utah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUGpITt0xdA

Again, it should simply be open season on anyone attempting to kidnap me by stopping my progress. This is why no one should stop or even slow down, ever if confronted on the road by these people. Keep your mass x velocity.

Every freakin' DA that insists drivers need to be arrested if they run these blockades needs to go to prison for a minimum of 10 years.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #798 on: June 30, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »
Provo, Utah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUGpITt0xdA
Considering someone was there with a gun, some of those people should be lucky they weren't run over.  I would have floored it. 

The driver didn't stop, but controlled the SUV's speed so the idiots could get out of the way.  Very good driving as far as I am concerned.  

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #799 on: June 30, 2020, 01:33:51 PM »
Again, it should simply be open season on anyone attempting to kidnap me by stopping my progress. This is why no one should stop or even slow down, ever if confronted on the road by these people. Keep your mass x velocity.

Every freakin' DA that insists drivers need to be arrested if they run these blockades needs to go to prison for a minimum of 10 years.
Of all the videos I have seen, I have only seen one or two where it looked like someone was run over and most of those were the idiots jumping on or in front of the cars. 

If they wanted to be more organized, they could set up a dozen stronger people on one side to flip over cars, but I hope they don't.