Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Carnitas

(1/3) > >>

Kingcreek:
Haven't tried it yet. Thinking of doing pork Carnitas in the pit barrel ala Cowboy Kent Rollins but the traditional Mexican recipes look interesting. I see stove top braising, oven only, slow crock pot,... about the only thing they all have in common is pork and citrus (lime and/or orange)
Anybody do them? favorite method or recipe?
Thanks

Ron:
I just grilled a pounded and marinated skirt steak last week.

I marinated it in a leftover mojo sauce we had made for a different dish. This sauce was part of my continuing use of the Sazon spice Mike and I have posted about before.

The secret ingredient is what is used for the citrus, bitter orange.

If you have a Mexican grocer around or if your grocery has a decent Mexican section you can get a Goya brand bitter orange marinade.

https://www.goya.com/en/products/bitter-orange-marinade

Kingcreek:
Picked up a nice 6 pound pork butt last night. (Nice selection in the meat case and on special $1.59/pound) Going to splash some lime on it and then later today put it in the fridge overnight with a dry rub. Kent Rollins slow smokes it, then wraps with marinade, then braises it in cast iron at the end. The more traditional Mexican recipes braise at the beginning then simmer slow.
I'm doing Cowboy Kents version to keep the heat and the mess outside and off my wife's range.

Jim147:
I do one every month or two.
I've done it several ways but have got myself down to my favorite.
I cover it with Bolner's  Fiesta rib rub. Nice cumin flavor.
Brown in Dutch oven then add some chicken stock. Toss in the oven low and slow for three or four hours. I shred it when done putting half of it back in the juices.
My wife likes them thrown on the griddle but sometimes I want a juicy mess.

MillCreek:
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a30142746/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-recipe/

We have made this recipe several times.  After cooking, it is important to follow the directions to spread it out on a baking sheet and run it under the broiler to char and crisp it up.  I do not add the cooking liquid to the baking sheet, however. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version