Author Topic: Carnitas  (Read 4105 times)

Kingcreek

• friend
Carnitas
« on: June 04, 2020, 06:41:12 PM »
Haven't tried it yet. Thinking of doing pork Carnitas in the pit barrel ala Cowboy Kent Rollins but the traditional Mexican recipes look interesting. I see stove top braising, oven only, slow crock pot,... about the only thing they all have in common is pork and citrus (lime and/or orange)
Anybody do them? favorite method or recipe?
Thanks
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: Carnitas
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2020, 09:00:52 AM »
I just grilled a pounded and marinated skirt steak last week.

I marinated it in a leftover mojo sauce we had made for a different dish. This sauce was part of my continuing use of the Sazon spice Mike and I have posted about before.

The secret ingredient is what is used for the citrus, bitter orange.

If you have a Mexican grocer around or if your grocery has a decent Mexican section you can get a Goya brand bitter orange marinade.

https://www.goya.com/en/products/bitter-orange-marinade

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2020, 10:07:56 AM »
Picked up a nice 6 pound pork butt last night. (Nice selection in the meat case and on special $1.59/pound) Going to splash some lime on it and then later today put it in the fridge overnight with a dry rub. Kent Rollins slow smokes it, then wraps with marinade, then braises it in cast iron at the end. The more traditional Mexican recipes braise at the beginning then simmer slow.
I'm doing Cowboy Kents version to keep the heat and the mess outside and off my wife's range.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2020, 03:40:55 PM »
I do one every month or two.
I've done it several ways but have got myself down to my favorite.
I cover it with Bolner's  Fiesta rib rub. Nice cumin flavor.
Brown in Dutch oven then add some chicken stock. Toss in the oven low and slow for three or four hours. I shred it when done putting half of it back in the juices.
My wife likes them thrown on the griddle but sometimes I want a juicy mess.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2020, 03:56:57 PM »
https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a30142746/instant-pot-pork-carnitas-recipe/

We have made this recipe several times.  After cooking, it is important to follow the directions to spread it out on a baking sheet and run it under the broiler to char and crisp it up.  I do not add the cooking liquid to the baking sheet, however. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 05:33:53 PM »
It seems that with all the different methods and recipes there is almost universal agreement the pork should be juicy and tender with crispy edges.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 06:05:26 PM »
There is a Mexican restaurant a few towns south of me. It's been over a year since I was there. They offer them in traditional crispy and chunks still in the roasting juice. First time I was there I got a steak a crispy and a juicy mess. That turned me to the juicy mess most of the time.
Oh and a jalapeño cilantro sauce on top.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 11:22:35 AM »
They were delicious but took a lot longer than I expected. Started at 3pm and sat down to eat at 9pm.
The pit barrel smoking went well but was using different charcoal and it took me awhile to regulate, marinaded with orange and lime juice and the residual dry rub from the overnight fridge dish and then foil wrapped and back on for 2 hours.
Used 2 cast iron skillets for heating the corn tortillas and crisping the separated meat on the gas grill. left the meat in mostly thumb sized chunks.
Chopped onion, cilantro, diced tomato, avocado, shredded cheese, and lime wedges for garnish.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 12:55:29 PM »
I picked up a pork butt Monday and my wife decided to steal it and make pulled pork in the slow cooker.

Might need to rethink this marriage.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 07:59:27 PM »

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 02:23:38 PM »
Awesome! More people in the foodie forum. Shootin and eatin is what we're all about  :laugh:
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2020, 06:02:30 PM »
Question: How is the WuFlu affecting meat prices over there? IIRC several slaughtherhouses had to close down for a long period of time. Seen any dramatic changes yet?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2020, 07:16:46 PM »
Close your eyes don't look at the price if you want a good cut.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
I buy beef directly from my cousin. He takes it to the small family owned locker where it is slaughtered, aged, cut and wrapped. I go pick it up when it's ready and bring it home to our freezer. 1/2 beef is a year or more supply for us. Market price with only one layer between producer and consumer.
I haven't seen pork prices go up. Chicken is a little higher and selection is less.