Author Topic: NASCAR has just banned the Confederate flag from all events  (Read 8880 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: NASCAR has just banned the Confederate flag from all events
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2020, 06:22:31 PM »
Nascar cucked years ago.

It's a dead man walking it just doesn't care that it's dead yet.

There are unfortunately years of zombie Nascar left.

Every couple of years they will come up with a new way to humiliate their fan base.

Maybe a transsexual champion who can hold the "Official NASCAR Transsexual Racing Story Hour" for children in the off season will be next.

CNN and The Atlantic can be new car sponsors along with the SPLC and ACLU.

The possibilities for humiliations are endless.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2020, 09:23:22 PM »
They also decided to allow protests (meaning, I assume, "the knee") during the playing of the National Anthem.

NASCAR can't get any deader than it already was for me but, if it hadn't already been dead for me, this would put the nail in the coffin.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2020, 09:28:53 PM »
Good luck with that  :cool:

NASCAR is full of *let's not go there* to be sure,  but they've picked a fight they have no chance of winning here.  No Stars and Bars down south,  at the track campgrounds?  Good luck.

This is actually a positive.  It's high time that the average redneck figures out that the powers that be despise him.

Jesus Christ,  the forum AI is now censoring C U C K ?
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
the forum AI is now censoring C U C K ?

I'd bet some guy with ADMIN in his title got his or her knickers in a twist and added it tot he list  :rofl:
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 09:38:02 PM »
I'd bet some guy with ADMIN in his title got his or her knickers in a twist and added it tot he list  :rofl:

Yeah I'm no stranger to that here.  Begs the question who's ox was personally gored...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 11:37:53 PM »
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/06/10/nascar-to-allow-peaceful-protests-during-national-anthem/

NASCAR eliminated the guidelines before last weekend’s race at Atlanta Motor Speedway. NASCAR official Kirk Price kneeled during the invocation and raised a fist. Price, who served on active duty in the U.S. Army for three years, remained kneeling during the anthem while he saluted the flag.

Bubba Wallace praised Price in an interview this week on CNN.

“If I would have seen it, I would have went there and stood next to him, kneeled next to him because it’s such a powerful move,” said Wallace, the lone black driver competing in NASCAR’s top series. “A man, an incredible man, who has served our country, kneeling down. People think it’s disrespecting the flag and going against our military, and it’s definitely not.

“I was so uneducated what the kneeling meant when it started but now reading about it and what it stands for … and I’m still doing a lot of learning myself, don’t get me wrong, I don’t know everything about what’s going on in the world but that’s what we are trying to deliver the message. Listen and learn to be able to better educate ourselves.”

I don't care what Bubba or Price or Drew Brees or anybody else thinks kneeling for the National Anthem means. It IS disrespecting the flag. End of discussion.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 11:44:09 PM »
Although we may all agree it is disrespecting the flag, we would likely also agree that he has a Constitutional right to do it.  As is so often the case however, because you have the legal right to do something does not mean that everyone is going to like or support your actions. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 12:19:37 AM »
Although we may all agree it is disrespecting the flag, we would likely also agree that he has a Constitutional right to do it.

... and we have the Constitutional right to express our displeasure.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 12:37:31 AM »
Manufactured controversy. They are tearing down a statue in Portsmouth, VA tonight. I think that some level of remembrance here in the south is appropriate. I know that renaming Lee chapel where the man is buried was not appropriate.

Even on this board there is a lot of hate the south rhetoric. Sorry y'all. My family owned slaves like seven generations ago. We were in the war, still have Bank of Richmond money brand new in the photo album. I have never owned or displayed a confederate flag, never will. I am most certainly not guilty about being white or from here. My take on the war, the south fought to preserve slavery, the north to subjugate the states to the federal. The end of slavery was good, but probably coming soon anyway if you look at industrialization and the rest of the nations that abolished slavery without a war. The industrial north did not and would not deal fairly with the south, it very much mimics our modern urban/rural divide. The north by and large didn't give a crap about slavery, so I tire of the noble rhetoric. They just shipped them north after the war and made slavery by another name. Sadly, our current state of affairs came from the wrong result of the war. The end of slavery was not worth the eternal subjugation of the states to the federal. It had until then been an open question of states vs. federal. And an idea that a state that freely entered a union could leave it.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 12:38:25 AM »
... and we have the Constitutional right to express our displeasure.

Exactly so.  

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 01:02:19 AM »
The north by and large didn't give a crap about slavery, so I tire of the noble rhetoric. They just shipped them north after the war and made slavery by another name.

North and South both wanted their social and economic system to prevail in their home states, and out West. So the North cared very much about containing slavery. Wasn't noble, really, but people care about their perceived self-interest.

Then, of course, you did have people that abhorred slavery on moral grounds. We tend to dismiss that today, because some of those people were racists, so we think they're hypocrites. Turns out you don't have to believe in racial equality to think slavery is wrong. Still, it seems more "noble" than supporting racism and slavery.

As for shipping them north, and slavery by another name, what do you mean?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 01:49:37 AM »
Although we may all agree it is disrespecting the flag, we would likely also agree that he has a Constitutional right to do it.  As is so often the case however, because you have the legal right to do something does not mean that everyone is going to like or support your actions. 

Having a Constitutional right to do it means the government can't punish him for doing it. It doesn't man that private organizations cannot prohibit him from doing it.

Heck the Constitution also doesn't allow the government to ban displays of the Confederate battle flag, but you don't hear the .gov telling NASCAR they can't ban it.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 08:38:42 AM »
Just saw a comment elsewhere that is too funny not to share:

"Of course NASCAR went full woke.  All those guys do is turn left."
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
If I ever tailgate a NASCAR event, I'm flying a 36 star Old Glory..

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2020, 02:43:20 PM »
There was a flag the Confederacy had at the very end that NASCAR still uses...

Bajillion pixel image debigified by APS staff. :)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 03:49:51 PM by Ben »
I promise not to duck.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 02:44:51 PM »
If I ever tailgate a NASCAR event, I'm flying a 36 star Old Glory..

You could fly an 18 starred flag and absolutely no one would get the reference.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 03:03:04 PM »
Redacted.

The old Biggest Image in the World flag.

The pixels you save may be your own.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:04:32 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 03:11:04 PM »
You could fly an 18 starred flag and absolutely no one would get the reference.

I don't get Louisiana admission as a state reference either.

Uranus is a gas giant.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 03:33:16 PM »
I don't get Louisiana admission as a state reference either.

https://historicalamericana.com/product/rare-civil-war-18-star-succession-sympathy-flag/

(and I have to note the irony that they misspelled "secession" in the url)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 04:52:44 PM »
https://historicalamericana.com/product/rare-civil-war-18-star-succession-sympathy-flag/

(and I have to note the irony that they misspelled "secession" in the url)

Thanks, learned something new today

Uranus is a gas giant.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2020, 11:50:30 PM »
There was a flag the Confederacy had at the very end that NASCAR still uses...

(Bajillion pixel image debigified by APS staff. :)

Stealing

I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2020, 09:07:38 PM »
https://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Fewer-Confederate-flags-fans-present-at-Talladega-15355702.php

Look up, and you might spot a plane pulling a banner of the Southern symbol, now banned from being displayed inside race tracks, with the words “Defund NASCAR”

The Confederate flags that once flew openly around the infield and stands are still for sale across the street. NASCAR hasn't disclosed how it will handle fans flying flags.

So lots of Confederate battle flags right outside the event.

I wonder how they would react to a fan waving the Stars and Bars, or the Bonnie Blue flag.
"End of quote.  Repeat the line."
  - Joe 'Ron Burgundy' Biden

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2020, 09:10:58 PM »
NASCAR is dying on the vine anyway. Even before all this Kung Flu mess the stands had a LOT of empty seats if you paid attention during the races.

They keep changing the rules and format every few years and the drivers that most fans grew up with are retiring. Plus like football they like to tack on penalties/fines for stupid *expletive deleted*it.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 10:42:29 PM »
It's been WWF for at least a decade if not all along.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.