Author Topic: NASCAR has just banned the Confederate flag from all events  (Read 8872 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Re: NASCAR has just banned the Confederate flag from all events
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2020, 01:36:29 PM »
Enter Al Sharpton

Sharpton not ready to give up on the NASCAR “noose” story: "It’s clear what a noose represents … And then did someone know that it was in the stall when they did belatedly assign Bubba there? … I do not think that we’ve seen closure in this particular inquiry." pic.twitter.com/xzq5hQIWC5

— Tom Elliott (@tomselliott) June 24, 2020
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/06/24/charles-c-w-cooke-calls-out-al-sharpton-for-floating-new-conspiracy-theory-on-bubba-wallace-and-the-noose/
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2020, 02:59:21 PM »
Bubba Wallace just released a new statement concerning the noose.  His mea culpa is a little late, but better than never.

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/06/24/bubba-wallace-releases-new-statement-did-he-finally-get-the-tone-right/
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2020, 03:01:50 PM »
I zoomed way in on the first pic.  It vaguely resembles a noose, but that's not anywhere near 13 turns; maybe about 3 or 4.  And the standing end is coming out in the the wrong place for a hangman's knot.  I'd bet it's a totally different knot.
"It's good, though..."

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2020, 03:04:09 PM »
Now lets see if Sharpton lets it go
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
author=fifth_column link=topic=62385.msg1258325#msg1258325 date=1591879122
"Just saw a comment elsewhere that is too funny not to share:

'Of course NASCAR went full woke.  All those guys do is turn left.' "

Now that was funny.  See my avatar:

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 10:12:43 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2020, 03:52:58 PM »
So how much coverage is this noose (even if the Klan put it there) getting, vs the white dude that got beat up at Macy's?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2020, 04:23:47 PM »
So how much coverage is this noose (even if the Klan put it there) getting, vs the white dude that got beat up at Macy's?

What white guy that got beat up at Macy's?

And the fact that I'm seriously asking and NOT being facetious proves your point.

Oh, and also they beat up a gay senator in Wisconsin, which would be non-stop 24/7 news for the next few days and calling for heads to roll if the Proud Boys did it. In this case, the crowd just got a little overenthusiastic. *expletive deleted*it happens when you're fighting The Man, man.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2020, 11:54:34 PM »
I liked Wallace as a driver, may have to sit on that for awhile and see how it ages.  So Nascrap, how's that whole drive for diversity thing going? Last three months you fired one of the recruits for using a slur(Larson) towards another driver(Wallace) in a familiar and friendly manner, another lost his sponsor for a (justified) rage quit of a video game(Wallace), and now the same one can't stay out of the spotlight.

Despite being born into the open wheel racing world and loving Kyle Larson I had no idea, until Nascrap told me, that he was part Jap. It really never occurred to us rednecks to worry about what he was besides fast. Kinda explains some of those banzai moves though. If you see him tying on that rag before he puts the helmet on, look out.  =D
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2020, 12:02:27 AM »
Nascrap is pretty good term. Give me one for NHRA.

I have built engines or worked on blocks, cranks, rods and other components up to Top Fuel in drag racing and ARCA in turn left since the '80's. They all lost me when they went to countdowns and the other crap.

But I still love to build an engine.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2020, 08:54:14 AM »
Man Horrified As Kids Give Him Noose For Father's Day
https://babylonbee.com/news/man-horrified-as-kids-give-him-noose-for-fathers-day?utm_content=buffer7cfab&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"I was literally shaking," Carson, a white progressive, said. "It was a clear message, plain and simple: we hate you because of your skin color. Well, I mean, not my skin color. But I'm offended on behalf of some people somewhere who might have been offended by this."

“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #61 on: June 25, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2020, 02:06:30 PM »
I was a proper noose.  I don't blame Wallace for his reaction at all.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nascar-releases-photo-noose-bubba-wallaces-garage

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »
^^^ Oh, wow.   That puts a different spin on things.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2020, 02:15:41 PM »
^^^ Oh, wow.   That puts a different spin on things.

I don't think it does, or at least not much of one. You still don't need 15 FBI agents to investigate something like that. Unless it's what the FBI does for anyone, regardless of color or other diversity indicator.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »
I was a proper noose.  I don't blame Wallace for his reaction at all.

That does look like a noose.  However, it sounds like it had been there for months and wasn't put there just for that driver.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2020, 03:24:13 PM »
Waaaaay back in grade school there was this kid that made nooses out of whatever string or whatever he could get ahold of.

All the cords for the blinds ended in nooses, anything with a drawstring...noosed! String used in an activity...noosed!

When a friend of mine came home from either Basic or Jump School he went around tying prussic knots in everything.

So there are people that just do that sort of thing.

Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2020, 03:30:08 PM »
If it is a proper, working noose I'm surprised nobody got their hand caught in it.  Is it possible it's been tied in such a way to avoid sliding?
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #68 on: June 25, 2020, 03:35:02 PM »
If it is a proper, working noose I'm surprised nobody got their hand caught in it.  Is it possible it's been tied in such a way to avoid sliding?

A proper noose slides both ways.
"It's good, though..."

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #69 on: June 25, 2020, 03:49:47 PM »
A proper noose slides both ways.

Right.  And if it was tied in such a way that it couldn't slide it wouldn't be a proper noose.  I could see someone tying a knot that looks like a noose but would still work as a handle.  And if nobody got their hand caught in it since last year, when this photo was supposedly taken, it seems likely it's just a macabre door pull.  Kind of like putting a skull pull chain on a ceiling fan.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2020, 03:59:05 PM »
I can see where having a noose in a small rope such as a garage pull would be handy. Either grab by the loop or wrap your hand around the top portion of the knot and have your thumb and forefinger on the small cord to prevent slipping (if it does) to give a better purchase on the rope. Am I a racist now that I see where a noose may be just fine?

The Hangman's noose is known for its strength under heavy weights and sudden movements, making it a good hook in an emergency.

While we all know this what I found interesting was the numbers for suicide lines under this on the web page on how to tie the knot. I have seen more suicide by hanging than most and I don't ever recall anyone taking time to tie a proper noose. Usually just a quick slip knot.

https://www.wikihow.com/Tie-a-Hangman%27s-Noose

bob

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2020, 04:02:46 PM »
...it seems likely it's just a macabre door pull. 

That's obviously what it was.

No one seems interested in talking about the ill effects of the white supremacy mythologizing that's been going on the past few years, which has intensified for the past month. We have an adult NASCAR driver, and the rest of the organization, going into alarm mode over a rope tied into noose. Without the hysteria, they wouldn't have involved the police, much less the Feds.

I worry about what this moral panic is doing to young people.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2020, 04:04:46 PM »
Good thing they didn't find a banana peel
- Calvin and Hobbes

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #73 on: June 25, 2020, 07:41:35 PM »
That does look like a noose.  However, it sounds like it had been there for months and wasn't put there just for that driver.

"NASCAR has released the first official image of the garage door pull-rope fashioned into a noose-style knot that was found in Bubba Wallace’s garage at Talladega Superspeedway on Sunday and said that an internal investigation determined it was the only one present at any of the 29 tracks it visits."

That info is a bit more damning.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #74 on: June 25, 2020, 08:42:21 PM »
A picture with no identifying info on when or where other than from NASCAR..... not saying they would fabricate this but I wouldn't put it past them. There for 15 minutes or so NASCAR *almost* became relevant in the national scheme of things. Had they released the picture immediately it would have been much more believable to me.

bob