Author Topic: Chicken/turkey stock  (Read 1931 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Chicken/turkey stock
« on: June 16, 2020, 11:46:50 PM »
Used my 8gal brew kettle and emptied all the bones and carcs from the freezers into it (after roasting of course).  Included 5 turkey feet.  Kettle was full to the top by the time the bones were appropriately submerged.  Simmered for about 18-19 hours then added quartered onions, and coarse chopped carrots and celery.  Plus some herbs.  Simmered for another 1-2 hours, the strained and now it's reducing.  Should get at least 2.5 gallons, maybe more depending on how much I reduce it. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: Chicken/turkey stock
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 07:30:51 AM »
19 hours? Good grief. You probably got every last bit of collagen out of those bones. You could probably knit yourself a bone sweater.

Depending on how long you reduce it, you're probably going to need to add more onions and herbs as long reduction times drive off not only water but also volatile flavor compounds.

I've started using my pressure cooker to make stock. It does in an hour what an open stock pot takes 8 hours to do. The only issue is that the pressure cooker stock is cloudy, so it needs to be filtered or strained if you don't like that.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Kingcreek

• friend
Re: Chicken/turkey stock
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 10:06:54 AM »
random tip:
when making bone broth or stock, always add a tablespoon of vinegar in the beginning. You wont taste the vinegar later but it extracts more calcium and flavor from the bones.
What we have here is failure to communicate.