Author Topic: California bill would require speed limiters on cars  (Read 659 times)

HankB

• friend
Re: California bill would require speed limiters on cars
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2024, 05:20:43 PM »
Most states have default statutory speed limits for cities and highways, but these are over ridden if the road has speed limits posted. Sometimes an artificially low speed limit is posted for "revenue enhancement" purposes. One time when I was summoned for jury duty in traffic court I annoyed the prosecutor a bit during voir dire. He asked me what I thought about the speed limit on a stretch of road near my home and I replied that after driving it every day for over a decade, I thought it was deliberately set too low for just that reason - revenue enhancement, and after all, our city WAS on the national speed trap list.

The prosecutor then said "Sir, what if I told you that per the law, the posted limits are to be regarded as reasonable and proper?"

I replied, "Counselor, if the legislature felt a need to define something as reasonable and proper under the law, I'd say that's pretty darn convincing evidence that they know it's UNreasonable and IMproper in fact!"

He didn't like that answer - and liked it even less when the rest of the jury pool laughed out loud, and even the judge had to suppress a snicker.

He didn't argue, he just moved to the next juror. (I didn't get picked as a juror for that trial.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
Re: California bill would require speed limiters on cars
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2024, 06:36:32 PM »
Rally road book:

I haven't seen one of those in 40 years.  Used to be called a "roll chart" . In concert with a stopwatch or chronograph wristwatch on the crossbar, they helped keep a rider on time during enduros.
7-11 was a part time job.