Main Forums > The Mess Hall

Bratwurst

(1/6) > >>

zxcvbob:
How do y'all cook fresh, uncured, uncooked bratwurst?  When I've grilled them before, it's hard to get them cooked all the way thru without them bursting and/or burning.  The fully-cooked ones are easy.

Lately i have started simmering them in water for 10 minutes before putting them on the grill.  My grill is pretty small so I do them in batches of about 7 or 8 at a time.  The first batch I brush with vegetable oil before I put them on the grill but I don't know that that's necessary.  i don't oil the follow-up batches.  They plump in the water, rather than on the grill after the casing has dried out, so they don't burst.  A few of them split a little but not bad.

Am I finally doing it right? :)  I suppose I could steam them instead of boiling, but I don't think that's really much different.  I have tried adding some crab boil to the water, but other than making the house smell nice I don't think it really did anything.

Big Hairy Bee:
I put them in a pan with beer, onions, and green pepper and cook about 1/2 through or around 130 degrees.  Then I finish them on the grill.  I then finish them in by topping with the onions, peppers, and grainy mustard on a butter toasted bun.  Dude, now I'm hungry!

zxcvbob:

--- Quote from: Big Hairy Bee on June 19, 2020, 06:14:43 PM ---Dude, now I'm hungry!

--- End quote ---

Then my work here is done :)

Jim147:
I put them on the opposite side form the coals like I do chicken or chops after searing.

Scout got in a hurry once and blew up my brat.

lupinus:
I poke a few holes on each side before grilling and it's also important to either have a heat that's not to high, or a cooler side to do the primary cooking with a hot side used for searing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version