Author Topic: Bratwurst  (Read 5180 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Bratwurst
« on: June 19, 2020, 05:57:42 PM »
How do y'all cook fresh, uncured, uncooked bratwurst?  When I've grilled them before, it's hard to get them cooked all the way thru without them bursting and/or burning.  The fully-cooked ones are easy.

Lately i have started simmering them in water for 10 minutes before putting them on the grill.  My grill is pretty small so I do them in batches of about 7 or 8 at a time.  The first batch I brush with vegetable oil before I put them on the grill but I don't know that that's necessary.  i don't oil the follow-up batches.  They plump in the water, rather than on the grill after the casing has dried out, so they don't burst.  A few of them split a little but not bad.

Am I finally doing it right? :)  I suppose I could steam them instead of boiling, but I don't think that's really much different.  I have tried adding some crab boil to the water, but other than making the house smell nice I don't think it really did anything.
"It's good, though..."

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
Re: Bratwurst
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2020, 06:14:43 PM »
I put them in a pan with beer, onions, and green pepper and cook about 1/2 through or around 130 degrees.  Then I finish them on the grill.  I then finish them in by topping with the onions, peppers, and grainy mustard on a butter toasted bun.  Dude, now I'm hungry!

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2020, 06:16:35 PM »
Dude, now I'm hungry!

Then my work here is done :)
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 07:16:26 PM »
I put them on the opposite side form the coals like I do chicken or chops after searing.

Scout got in a hurry once and blew up my brat.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 07:54:26 PM »
I poke a few holes on each side before grilling and it's also important to either have a heat that's not to high, or a cooler side to do the primary cooking with a hot side used for searing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2020, 09:46:14 AM »
I'll either simmer them in beer or in apple cider and then onto the grill to crisp up.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
I just put em on our covered grill, but keep an eye on them.  I use tongs and flip them as they brown on the grill side.  Johnsonville brats get a bit curved but if you use tongs you are able to brown all 4 sides while cooking them without splitting.  Brats cook rather quickly and you need to watch them.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2020, 11:10:17 AM »
I preheat my grill, toss raw brats on, get a good sear, drop the heat and finish grilling. Sometimes I wrap them in foil on a plate if not eating them right of the grill.

I don't poke them or parboil them first, never had one blow up. I get most my raw brats from various meat lockers.

Only time I precook brats is if I want white skinned stadium beer brats. I cook in cheap heavy beer, like Bud or Pabst and onions at 180 degrees until the brats are done. 180 F keeps the casings pliable like boudin. I cool and refrigerate the whole pot over night. Next day I fish the brats out and warm up the beer and onion juice. I grill the brats and serve them on a toasted hoagie with German mustard and the onions from the beer boil.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2020, 10:43:09 AM »
I put them in a pan with beer, onions, and green pepper and cook about 1/2 through or around 130 degrees.  Then I finish them on the grill.  I then finish them in by topping with the onions, peppers, and grainy mustard on a butter toasted bun.  Dude, now I'm hungry!

^This is a man that knows how to cook brats. 

Many years ago we had taste tests regularly using several different brats and beers. The brat brands were personal preference, but everybody liked them cooked in Blatz over several other beers.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
From the land of cheese, beer and brats.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/life/food/2020/05/21/best-brats-grilled-without-parboiling-says-wisconsin-food-scientist/3115473001/

They say the problem is cooking them too fast.  I wonder if putting them in 135 or 140 degree water for an hour (easy to do with an Instant Pot) would work better?  I can't cook them slowly on my grill, it's too small, and my smoker is not hot enough to cook anything.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2020, 04:05:24 PM »
They say the problem is cooking them too fast.  I wonder if putting them in 135 or 140 degree water for an hour (easy to do with an Instant Pot) would work better?  I can't cook them slowly on my grill, it's too small, and my smoker is not hot enough to cook anything.

What do you got for a grill? I have no problem grilling brats with a small tailgate grill.

Uranus is a gas giant.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 04:10:54 PM »
What do you got for a grill? I have no problem grilling brats with a small tailgate grill.

It's a tiny Weber grill.  Not sure the dimensions, I'll guess 14" in diameter.  Not sure if this is it but it's close: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/85415

Of course, I could just be using it wrong.  Perhaps I need to build a *larger* fire instead of a smaller one, so I can use the lid without it going out.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 04:34:39 PM »
It's a tiny Weber grill.  Not sure the dimensions, I'll guess 14" in diameter.  Not sure if this is it but it's close: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/charcoal-grills/85415

Of course, I could just be using it wrong.  Perhaps I need to build a *larger* fire instead of a smaller one, so I can use the lid without it going out.

Probably, we use one those all the time tailgating. Cook burgers and brats with no problem. A friend of mine will do half a raw pork loin on one.  You may need to feed briquettes to it as you cook to keep the heat consistent.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »
One thing is clear to me after reading this thread: the Seattle area does not have nearly the number of butchers/processors making custom products as does the Midwest.  I have read all the links in this thread, and swooned over some the specialty sausages that are readily available.  Not so much here.  I am lucky if I can find a small selection of Johnsonville products here.

ETA: and after looking at the Johnsonville webpage, we are even more sadly lacking in products. I would love to try Irish brats, or sausage strips, or Snackers........

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 06:10:46 PM »
To bad this guy doesn't ship.

https://mcbeesbratwurst.com/
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 09:23:48 PM »
One thing is clear to me after reading this thread: the Seattle area does not have nearly the number of butchers/processors making custom products as does the Midwest.  I have read all the links in this thread, and swooned over some the specialty sausages that are readily available.  Not so much here.  I am lucky if I can find a small selection of Johnsonville products here.

ETA: and after looking at the Johnsonville webpage, we are even more sadly lacking in products. I would love to try Irish brats, or sausage strips, or Snackers........

Well we are the land of sows, cows and plows. Lot's of german, dutch, czech and poles settled here.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 09:26:57 PM »
You'll pay for it, but this place has pretty good sausage and other sundries.

https://www.usinger.com/

Do you have Menard's out there? Sometimes they sell frozen Klement's brats, polish, and Italian sausage there.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2020, 12:58:25 AM »

When I lived down the block from CHOP or CHAZ a few years ago the Kroger store (QFC?) had quite a variety of local farm sausages that were quite good.  Was doing the bangers n mash thing quite a bit.  There was a nice variety.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2020, 01:17:09 AM »

I would say you need to head down to your local Super 1 Foodstore but then again, you are on the wrong side of WA. One of the local stores here makes the best chorizo  I have eaten in years. They usually have a pretty good selection of sausage products also.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2020, 08:45:46 AM »

That is very surprising to me. The German store I go to now used to be in Portland, and they said besides getting out because of the crime, there were also a lot more delis there that made sausage. I would have figured Seattle to be similar. I still am happy with my place, actually owned by a Romanian couple. Besides the kraut sausages, they make Eastern European sausages as well. There is a big Basque population here, and I need to check out the sausage selection at one of their delis some time.

I really like boiling sausages in beer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2020, 06:30:58 PM »
You'll pay for it, but this place has pretty good sausage and other sundries.

https://www.usinger.com/

Do you have Menard's out there? Sometimes they sell frozen Klement's brats, polish, and Italian sausage there.

I've been happy with that brand, a local grocery has some of their products.

Johnsonville sausages are pretty good also, here in Chicagoland they are in nearly every grocery store.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2020, 12:33:08 PM »
We always bring them to a boil for a few minutes in a mix of beer and water for a few minutes before grilling.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 09:20:56 PM »
Grilled raw English Bangers tonight, no cracking.

Uranus is a gas giant.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 01:00:08 PM »
Cook them in indirect heat on a charcoal grill until browned. Toss them into a pot with beer and onions and simmer until you are ready to eat.

Brats are huge in my state. You’ll find a brat sale outside a grocery store or a VFW in just about any town on a weekend. In these cases, they are typically grilled, then put in a nesco with onions and beer (or water) until served.

Johnsonvilles  are good. Miesfeld’s, which is a few miles down the road from Johnsonville, are considered to be superior.

https://miesfelds.com/market-bratwurst.html
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama