Author Topic: I can't breathe: forcible ketamine injection edition  (Read 4538 times)

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: I can't breathe: forcible ketamine injection edition
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2020, 12:22:58 PM »
Fascinating.  Tell me more about your understanding of LEO training and continuing education.

As far as I can tell they can ask, but it is up to the medic/doc to make the determination of necessity.

Can't be too superlative considering they explicitly don't hire smart people.

http://www.aele.org/apa/jordan-newlondon.html

Why in hell would people want police of only average intelligence?  Hmm.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »
Given your extensive experience in police hiring, would you say that the referenced case is indicative of a norm in police hiring standards?

Considering your time spent involved in both the police hiring and discipline processes, have you noticed a significant correlation between increased intelligence and improved ethical behavior?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2020, 04:26:34 PM »
Given your extensive experience in police hiring, would you say that the referenced case is indicative of a norm in police hiring standards?

Considering your time spent involved in both the police hiring and discipline processes, have you noticed a significant correlation between increased intelligence and improved ethical behavior?

You can do this all day, can't you?  :laugh:
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2020, 04:27:48 PM »
You can do this all day, can't you?  :laugh:
With your experience, what makes you think that I can?   :angel:

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2020, 06:49:13 PM »
https://ricochet.com/757578/asking-the-right-questions-what-are-police-officers-for/

For some time I’ve been pondering whether Americans generally, and conservatives in particular, are asking the right questions about life in the 21st century. In this series I’ll be looking at different policies and areas of life and asking -are we really thinking about these issues the right way? Today’s installment is about what we need the police for and how that should influence the way we think about police.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2020, 06:25:07 PM »

I don't have to say anything when there is case law on the matter.

Know what the DoD does with people who score too smart on the asvab?  They hire them.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2020, 11:15:54 PM »
I don't have to say anything when there is case law on the matter.
Dunning-Kruger, dude.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2020, 01:37:02 AM »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2020, 08:40:10 AM »
Apparently it's not JUST Minneapolis PD.  I wonder how many police departments around the country routinely [get an EMT to] drug people against their will?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/26/elijah-mcclain-ketamine-may-have-played-role-death-experts-say/3262785001/

HankB

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2020, 11:47:55 AM »
Apparently it's not JUST Minneapolis PD.  I wonder how many police departments around the country routinely [get an EMT to] drug people against their will?

This seems pretty risky for the EMT . . . were I an EMT, I'd be very worried that after recovery either the person I involuntarily drugged (or his next of kin) would come to settle a score with me
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2020, 06:53:21 PM »
Edited: Redundant link to what kgbsquirrel posted.

So police officers may get a heap of technical training on the job depending on what agency hired them. What I am not seeing is a license to operate, or filtering through a licensing process in the same way that it is applied to other professions where irresponsibility or negligence can cause significant damage to others. So long as he is not convicted of criminal charges an individual can get hired, fired and hired again by a neighboring agency on the same day. There is no independent review board that offers oversight or follow up on minimum standards of conduct or training that are required to work or continue working in that field. Generally speaking, a cop can't "lose his license" the same way a doctor can for misconduct, yet both can bring about your death.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 07:27:01 PM by Blakenzy »
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2020, 08:42:06 PM »
This seems pretty risky for the EMT . . . were I an EMT, I'd be very worried that after recovery either the person I involuntarily drugged (or his next of kin) would come to settle a score with me
Legally, I certainly would go after them as best I could. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2020, 09:18:39 PM »

http://www.aele.org/apa/jordan-newlondon.html

Why in hell would people want police of only average intelligence?  Hmm.

Cool!

Brought to you by the same city that created Kelo. (The landmark case that said government can use eminent domain to steal your property and turn it over to a private developer that you would never, EVER sell to voluntarily.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2020, 10:38:41 PM »
What I am not seeing is a license to operate, or filtering through a licensing process in the same way that it is applied to other professions where irresponsibility or negligence can cause significant damage to others. So long as he is not convicted of criminal charges an individual can get hired, fired and hired again by a neighboring agency on the same day.
I can't say that you are wrong in all jurisdictions, but I can say with complete confidence that you are utterly wrong with how that would go down in my town.

There is no independent review board that offers oversight or follow up on minimum standards of conduct or training that are required to work or continue working in that field. Generally speaking, a cop can't "lose his license" the same way a doctor can for misconduct, yet both can bring about your death.
First off, while it is outside of my realm of direct experience, I'm not so sure that doctors are such an awesome regulatory example to be emulated.  Medical error kills a quarter million Americans a year and I'm relatively confident we aren't blackballing every single doctor who screws up and kills a patient.  You are absolutely up in arms about cops who kill 1/250th of that number in a year - and most of them righteously.  Very, very few docs can claim self-defense for their medical error kills.  Maybe Millcreek can tell us a little bit about his experience with bad docs and medical error - I could be off base.

Regardless, can I tell you a little bit about how the police hiring practice actually works?  I'm going to break this down specifically for the town I live in, since that is the only place I have direct, recent experience.  I'm sure some departments are outliers in the process, but I can't imagine the one I happen to know about is drastically abnormal.
1. The Town Council approves the budget for hiring and the number of positions to fill.
2. The Chief advertises the positions.
3. Online pre-application
4. Physical tests (basic strength and agility)
5. Oral interview panel
6. Formal written application
7. Comprehensive background investigation conducted by detectives (criminal background check, interviews with previous employers, credit check, reference checks, etc).
8. Polygraph/Voice Stress Analysis interview
9. At several points along the way, candidates' records are brought to a Police Merit Commission on which I have served for the past six or seven months.  This is a non-Law Enforcement oversight board who make all hiring, firing, and promotion determinations, as well as handling any serious discipline issues.  The Chief asks the Commission to remove candidates who have failed at any step of the process.  That could be based on physical performance, criminal history/admitted criminal behavior, financial red flags, or negative information provided by previous employers (including previous departments, if applicable).
10. For the given number of positions currently available, the Chief picks specific candidates and asks that they be certified by the Merit Commission.  The Commission gets the whole file to review for each of the selected applicants.  We're talking 3" binders full of documentation.  If the Commission likes a candidate then they approve a conditional offer of employment and the applicant moves on to the next steps.
11. Medical evaluation
12. Psychiatric evaluation
13. Assuming they pass all the previous steps and do not yet have state certification they must attend the police academy Basic Peace Officer program, which is almost four months long.
14. 17 week Field Training program during which they operate under the direct instruction and observation of Field Training Officers.

If you already have a state LE certification you still have to undergo every step except the academy.

No, bad cops aren't going to be coming in from a neighboring agency and getting hired the same day.  Or any day, so long as I'm on the commission.  While I do get the appeal of a body that could yank credentialing from bad cops permanently and universally, I'm not convinced that it would necessarily be better or more effective to have a distant state or federal licensing board giving the thumbs up or thumbs down on officers.  I'm not sure a Merit Board or Merit Commission satisfies your personal requirements for an "independent review board", but I feel confident in our department's process and the oversight that I'm a part of.  We're preparing to start another hiring process soon.  If you're interested I can give periodic notes on the process.

Also, contrary to kgbsquirrel's confidently ignorant assumptions, we do not have a ceiling on intelligence for applicants.  Based on the criteria provided by an employment consulting firm we do drop a significant percentage of the the least qualified of applicants even if they achieve nominally passing scores, but there is no top end.  Just like the DoD does, if they score too smart on our tests ... we hire them.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 10:48:21 PM »
Maybe it’s different in the far left big cities where the police departments are pressed to fill positions especially with affirmative action/diversity hires but what Cordex says is what most departments around here do as far as screening and investigating.

My sister and her husband had to go through extensive screening for their initial departments and the one they are both at now. They even investigated family members and friends I had to talk to a background investigator for about a half hour about my sister and they did a background check on me.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2020, 08:18:38 AM »
Some police departments have additional dis-qualifiers in hiring police officers:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Elijah_McClain
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/colorado-police-officers-paramedics-charged-2019-death-unarmed-black-man-2021-09-01/?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral
Three Colorado police officers and two paramedics have been criminally charged in the death of Elijah McClain, a Black man who died in 2019 after he was subdued and injected with a sedative, the state attorney general said on Wednesday.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2021, 04:00:33 PM »
^^^Well, I am going to be very interested in the outcome of the trial for the paramedics, and I wonder if Colorado did a licensure investigation on them after this event.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2021, 04:20:19 PM »
FWIW, some local Caring and Progressive people no longer like body cameras - because they can be used as evidence that Sumdood was NOT actually standing peacefully upon a corner while minding his own business.
Blog under construction

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2021, 08:24:29 PM »
FWIW, some local Caring and Progressive people no longer like body cameras - because they can be used as evidence that Sumdood was NOT actually standing peacefully upon a corner while minding his own business.

I dunno.  The bodycams seem to fail to work often enough.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2021, 10:09:45 PM »
I dunno.  The bodycams seem to conveniently fail to work often enough.

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2021, 05:26:58 AM »
Background checks and training are racist dog-whistles you disgusting bigot.

Thank you.  I was about to generate the same kind of remark.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 05:44:50 AM by 230RN »

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.