Author Topic: Telephones -- Whatcha got?  (Read 2862 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Telephones -- Whatcha got?
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2020, 02:25:59 PM »
When I switched from (extremely unreliable, plus extremely slow) DSL to cable Internet, the cable company lobbied hard for me to get their phone service, too. They finally gave up when I pointed out that I have two landlines, one of which is a dedicated fax line. I asked flat out if they could guarantee that my fax machine would work with their phone system -- they couldn't, so I stayed with my land lines.

And I also will always keep at least one old-fashioned telephone on the land line. The problem with the new sets that have a base station/answering machine and several wireless handsets is that if the power goes off -- the phones don't work. With a "real" telephone, if the line is still up the phone works, even if there's no electricity.

I had my VOIP and Internet modems on a UPS and (and a phone that didn't need power) and I still usually lost telephone service when the power went out because the power was out somewhere on their end.  Every once in a while it worked.  So reliable phone service is not a priority for the cable company.  I put up with it because we have cell phones for backup.  I sometimes wonder if it's worth $20-ish a month to maintain my old phone number.
"It's good, though..."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
It's been cellphone only at our house for at least ten years, probably longer.  Even when our old cable TV plan included phone service, we did not use it.
I went so far as to rip out the old phone lines in this house when we bought it because they were of very low quality when they were originally installed and the lines were coming apart.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2020, 02:48:51 PM »
I've actually never paid for a land line and never felt the need to do so. If I lived where there was spotty cell service, the phone connects to WiFi and uses that just fine.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2020, 03:08:48 PM »
Just picked up a new Samsung S20 on the AT&T network.

Was with Verizon for almost 25 years.

Now that I'm working for AT&T I get far better plan for less money.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2020, 04:10:49 PM »

S20? Man, am I out of the loop. What happened to S11-S19?  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 04:22:02 PM »

Was with Verizon for almost 25 years.

Now that I'm working for AT&T I get far better plan for less money.

So ... do you have a land line at home?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2020, 07:16:55 AM »
So ... do you have a land line at home?

Covered that in a previous message.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2020, 10:03:16 AM »
Covered that in a previous message.

Oops.

Sorry.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2020, 10:45:03 PM »
I'm bringing this one back to add a new question: For those of you who don't have a land line at home ... do you have a home security system? If so, how does it work? Is it based on a cellular transmitter to the monitoring station, or ___?

Also, how many of those who have a land line have a home security system that's monitored over the phone line?

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2020, 08:39:38 AM »
I'm bringing this one back to add a new question: For those of you who don't have a land line at home ... do you have a home security system? If so, how does it work? Is it based on a cellular transmitter to the monitoring station, or ___?

Also, how many of those who have a land line have a home security system that's monitored over the phone line?

We had ADT (dropped because useless plus expensive as hell). It was over the Internet. I believe the newer security systems from companies like Ring and Simplisafe use the internet as well.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2020, 08:46:00 AM »

My ADT system is over the internet with a cell (4G) backup.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:20:20 AM by dogmush »

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2020, 09:01:24 AM »
Ring + Internet.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."