Author Topic: Electrical car issue  (Read 2019 times)

sumpnz

• friend
Re: Electrical car issue
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2020, 03:11:09 PM »
So, went ahead and got the new battery in the car.  Hooked up the positive side and used the multi-meter to connect to ground (YouTube video said that was safer than going through the positive side).  Anyway, got a 1.0amp draw.  Started pulling fuses, and when I pulled the "backup" fuse the draw went to almost nothing. 

Looking it up, that appears to be a memory backup circuit, and has nothing to do with reverse gear.  From my reading if I pull it I'd lose some functions, like mpg readout, possibly radio (or maybe just presets) and a few lights.  But I think the car will otherwise work.  Going to try that, and if it runs, I can at least take my time finding the problem with the parasite load location.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Electrical car issue
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2020, 03:45:31 PM »
No experience with Suby electrical systems but 1.0 amp is too much by at least a factor of ten. Standby draw for most vehicles is 50-70ma. Maybe 100 at most. I'd hit the Subaru forums and see if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB