Author Topic: E-mail dilemma  (Read 995 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
E-mail dilemma
« on: June 28, 2020, 04:28:59 PM »
I've had an AT&T e-mail account for probably at least 30 years (or so). At some point along the way, AT&T e-mail was turned over to Yahoo to operate, but the ___@att.net address didn't change. And for many years I have had the AT&T account and another e-mail account both linked to Thunderbird, and all was good.

And then, maybe three weeks ago, Thunderbird couldn't log in with AT&T/Yahoo. My account is still good -- I can access my e-mail using the on-line portal -- but it's much more convenient to be able to check both accounts from Thunderbird, and be logged in automatically when I fire up Thunderbird.

I've seen some hints on the Internet about AT&T?Yahoo doing something about making their e-mail more secure, but I can't find anything that offers me any suggestions as to what I need to change to get it working with Thunderbird again. Do any of you more technically savvy people have any ideas for getting my e-mail back in business?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: E-mail dilemma
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
I've had an AT&T e-mail account for probably at least 30 years (or so). At some point along the way, AT&T e-mail was turned over to Yahoo to operate, but the ___@att.net address didn't change. And for many years I have had the AT&T account and another e-mail account both linked to Thunderbird, and all was good.

And then, maybe three weeks ago, Thunderbird couldn't log in with AT&T/Yahoo. My account is still good -- I can access my e-mail using the on-line portal -- but it's much more convenient to be able to check both accounts from Thunderbird, and be logged in automatically when I fire up Thunderbird.

I've seen some hints on the Internet about AT&T?Yahoo doing something about making their e-mail more secure, but I can't find anything that offers me any suggestions as to what I need to change to get it working with Thunderbird again. Do any of you more technically savvy people have any ideas for getting my e-mail back in business?

What exactly are you seeing, regarding security?   Server name changes?  Port number changes?  SSL/TLS?  OAuth?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 09:43:38 PM »
A quick google suggests you need to create a secure mail key to access mail from non-oauth enabled clients, like thunderbird.

https://www.att.com/support/article/email-support/KM1240308

Have you done this?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 10:00:38 PM »
A quick google suggests you need to create a secure mail key to access mail from non-oauth enabled clients, like thunderbird.

Have you done this?

Googling Thunderbird and OAuth got me to exactly the same place.

Looks straightforward.

see also https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1254592, "AT&T email technical support team tells me that Thunderbird (even 68) is not yet compatible with the oauth password security soon required.."
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:01:44 PM »

Have you done this?

I have created the secure key, but I can't figure out how to use it with Thunderbird.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 11:04:55 PM »
I have created the secure key, but I can't figure out how to use it with Thunderbird.

Step 10 on the linked page says:

Go to your preferred email app and replace the existing password with your secure mail key. (For an IMAP account, delete the existing password for both the IMAP and SMTP servers and replace them with your secure mail key.)

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 01:12:40 AM »
Thanks, all. The secure key I had created awhile back didn't work. It took some digging (parts of the AT&T web site don't work with Waterfox, so I had to use Internet Explorer), but I was finally able to create a new secure key, and that seems to work.

Thanks again.