Author Topic: Dark Matter? Discovery of 21000 Shadow Galaxies That Were Invisible to Us Befo  (Read 1272 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Discovery of 21000 Shadow Galaxies That Were Invisible to Us Before
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxba4qJ4AJQ

So is this part of what is referred to as "dark matter"? 

I thought this was interesting that there were entire galaxies that we didn't know about (quite a few of them). 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQLBxWO2zx0

In this one, he mentions that we have been discovering a lot more brown dwarf stars recently due to better infrared telescopes. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
I thought this was interesting that there were entire galaxies that we didn't know about (quite a few of them). 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra-Deep_Field
It's amazing how little we know about the universe.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Great... Shadow galaxies...

Next thing you know, like DC, they'll be demanding full voting status...

Stellar radiation without representation is wrong!

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubble_Ultra-Deep_Field
It's amazing how little we know about the universe.

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jim147

• friends
Shadow galaxies?

I think we need some rangers and Vorlons.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
I have seen people in the past basically say we can see everything from here so that means there aren't any surprises out there.  It was a while back, but I was taken aback by that attitude. 

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
It wasn't that long ago -- only about 100 years, IIRC --  that scientists though that everything we see was part of one very large cluster -- that there weren't separate galaxies at all.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
It wasn't that long ago -- only about 100 years, IIRC --  that scientists though that everything we see was part of one very large cluster -- that there weren't separate galaxies at all.
Well, the people I was thinking of would also argue with you if you suggested evolution as the origin of the species may not be 100% true or even suggest anything they considered anti-science. 

I just try to keep an open mind about everything as there is always more to learn.

HankB

• friend
IIRC, we think the most distant objects we've seen are a bit more than 13 billion light years away. Which means that 13 billion years ago, they were already 13 billion light years away. So . . . if the universe expanded at the speed of light, and 13 billion years ago they were already 13 billion light years away, then the universe must be at least 26 billion years old.

BUT IT'S NOT say the astrophysicists. AHA! INFLATION! Space itself expanded at superluminal velocity, carrying matter with it. This is really not well understood, but trust the astro guys, they know their stuff.

Now . . . ask the astro guys if the universe has a radius of 13 billion light years . . . and the most distant objects we see are pretty much the same distance in all directions - are we the center of the universe?

Crickets . . . 

Bottom line is we really still don't know what we don't know.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
Shadow galaxies?

I think we need some rangers and Vorlons.

The Shadows have much cooler parties + the girls at the Vorlon's keep slapping me before I can even say anything.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
The Shadows have much cooler parties + the girls at the Vorlon's keep slapping me before I can even say anything.

The goody-two-shoes of the First Ones.  Too straight arrow to be any fun.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
" then the universe must be at least 26 billion years old."

Aha !  At last a truly physical and nature-bound SI-friendly unit of time !