Author Topic: Anyone Bowfish?  (Read 1530 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Anyone Bowfish?
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:56:43 AM »
I seem to have more carp in my pond than is good for it. I can catch them with a pole of course, but was thinking it might be a really good and fun opportunity to try bowfishing. I know zero about it other than starting to look at rigs on the web.

I have a hunting compound bow, and actually broke it out and practiced a bit with it recently.  I guess you can adapt regular bows as bowfishing bows? The only issue is that mine is older and is a 70lb bow that will only adjust down to 60lb. The problem with this is that I appear to be getting old. While I can pull it back just fine, after a half dozen arrows,  I start to get shooting pains in my elbow. Likely age related degradation there that I don't want to make worse if I don't have to.

So  I was thinking about buying a dedicated rig, maybe in the 40lb range that would let me shoot it more at each sitting, or also comfortably let me hold it at full draw for longer. I don't want to go too expensive for basically a lark, but also need a lefty bow. The carp in the pond are fairly small, but next door in the creek, I am constantly seeing a few 24"+ monsters that could be fun to shoot.

Any recommendations?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Anyone Bowfish?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
I did a gazzilion years ago, had a 50lb bear compound bow with a open reel and fiberglass arrow. Ended up not liking it,  graduated to a 8' gig attached to a recovery line then to using a 12 gauge with steel shot on jumping carp in the spring. Went to college and haven't done it since. Shotgunning jumping carp was a hoot.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 10:54:24 AM »
I have when I was younger. But I have to say getting one on a bass pole with braided line can be a blast.

This is similar to what I got my daughter.

https://www.amazon.com/Southland-Archery-Supply-Compound-Package/dp/B071GWQ46Z/ref=sr_1_39?dchild=1&keywords=Compound+bow&qid=1593528344&sr=8-39

Need to look more to see if they have left handed
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 10:58:23 AM »
I have only done it a couple of times.  My brother used to do it nearly every weekend.  He had an air boat at one time.  I only went with him a couple times.  A couple of the lakes here are overrun with carp and want bowfishers to come in a cut the numbers down.  You are not allowed to bowfish game fish here.

From what I gather, any bow would work, but he had heavy reels mounted and used heavier fiberglass arrows.  You can do it without the reel attached, but you are going to lose arrows.  And don't forget to release the brake on the reel before you fire.  

It was a lot of fun, just could take a lot of time. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 01:11:59 PM »
So if they sell dynamite over the counter in Idaho, would a quarter-stick suffice?  Note I am deliberately suggesting dynamite as possibly easier to obtain over the standard APS detcord.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 01:15:03 PM »
So if they sell dynamite over the counter in Idaho, would a quarter-stick suffice?  Note I am deliberately suggesting dynamite as possibly easier to obtain over the standard APS detcord.

I've been working for the last year to improve and rehabilitate the pond, and you guys tell me to blow it up. Typical APS.  :laugh:

I remember what was said of an old foreman of mine back in the oilfield days: "As long as Dupont keeps making dynamite, Lester will keep on fishing."  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 04:09:54 PM »
I felt a little bowfish this morning, but it cleared up.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 04:34:26 PM »
I felt a little bowfish this morning, but it cleared up.

That's what she said.

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 04:58:37 PM »
Years ago. Used to go in the spring when big carp were spawning in the feeder creeks and ditches. It was a hoot.
I think its easier with a recurve but have used an old bear compound. check the pawn shops or ebay or wherever for cheap used recurves with a threaded stabilizer insert.
I could usually fill a couple 5gal buckets with farm ditch carp. I would bring them home and bury them in the garden.
I've still got a couple reels and a few glass arrows and barbed points around somewhere. Still have the 45" compound somewhere too. I used a faster compound bow and 150# test braided line with a steel leader when I shot gar (even more fun than carp).
redneck single guy fun I don't do anymore
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 06:03:45 PM »
Yeah I still have a reel and two arrows. Girl keeps saying she wants to do it but hasn't yet.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 08:06:07 PM »
"While I can pull it back just fine, after a half dozen arrows,  I start to get shooting pains in my elbow."

It's called carpal elbow syndrome.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 08:18:57 PM by 230RN »

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 10:16:56 AM »
"While I can pull it back just fine, after a half dozen arrows,  I start to get shooting pains in my elbow."

It's called carpal elbow syndrome.

Carp bow elbow syndrome
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 12:47:03 PM »
While I can pull it back just fine, after a half dozen arrows,  I start to get shooting pains in my elbow.

And when you tie your shoes, do you get tying pains in your elbows?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 01:47:49 PM »
Seize the carp !

I know, I know.... I'll quit carping on this.  I guess I'm just full of carp today.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 02:00:16 PM by 230RN »

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 03:50:41 PM »
Seize the carp !

I know, I know.... I'll quit carping on this.  I guess I'm just full of carp today.
That is Ben's problem also.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 03:54:28 PM »
That is Ben's problem also.

If this was Europe I could sell them for a tidy profit, them being as popular as trout there.  :laugh: