Author Topic: Well, Now Youtube TV Sucks Too.  (Read 2117 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Well, Now Youtube TV Sucks Too.
« on: June 30, 2020, 05:16:29 PM »
Holy hell Youtube TV, you have a lot of nerve!

I've actually been pretty happy with it for the year that I've had it, but just now got an email telling me, "Good news Ben! We're adding the following channels that you love to watch! BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land, and VH1.

I don't watch any of them. To add insult to injury, in order to do me this favor, they just raised my monthly rate from $50 to $65 a month. That's a *expletive deleted*ing 30% increase for eight crappy channels. Have they lost their minds?

Now I'm back to searching for another provider. Maybe Hulu? I was avoiding them because of their politics, but honestly, Youtube/Google is as bad or worse. Any new kids on the block I should check out?

"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Well, Now Youtube TV Sucks Too.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 05:50:55 PM »
I have sling for the past 4.5 years, I think Fox News, CNN, MSNBC and other 24/7 news networks suck, so I'm fine with not having very many of them in the cheapest package.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 06:01:41 PM »
I have AT&T, Hulu, prime and maybe another. Much cheaper than my basic Dish bill was.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »
Love how services like this often promote themselves as an alternative to cable then turn around and do the exact same things you hate about cable.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 06:15:42 PM »
Love how services like this often promote themselves as an alternative to cable then turn around and do the exact same things you hate about cable.

Yup, they're basically turning into cable. I'm consistently complaining about every freakin' network starting their own subscription service and having to sign up with like a dozen services to get twenty channels, but that almost looks to be the most cost effective. Honestly my main live tv program that I like is Fox Business Network in the morning. Maybe it's worth it to just sign up for the stupid Fox service for that, and wait a year to watch my other shows on the Netflix and the Amazon.

A quick look shows Hulu to be $55 now, and $65, same as Youtube, if you add the same number of DVD hours. Though the 50 with standard Hulu is already way more than I need. I'll still have to do some current service comparisons and see.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 07:14:12 PM »
I just paid my Hulu today $5.99. How much are you adding?

JN01

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 07:47:38 PM »
I just started using YouTube tv, I agree, not willing to pay another $15 for channels I won’t watch.  Probably go for Sling.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 09:43:31 PM »
I just paid my Hulu today $5.99. How much are you adding?

Hulu also has a streaming TV service as an alternative to cable

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 10:07:47 PM »
Gotcha, with the AT&T I don't worry about that. And if you get a Ruku it has a bunch of free choices.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 10:31:43 PM »

Youtube is a bunch of Marxist bastards.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2020, 10:34:43 PM »
Hulu also has a streaming TV service as an alternative to cable

Yup, I'm interested in live TV streaming and DVR service. I already have Netflix and Amazon for other stuff.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 07:54:44 AM »
Have you thought about installing a TV antenna tower? I have a 30' tower for local TV.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 08:18:02 AM »
Have you thought about installing a TV antenna tower? I have a 30' tower for local TV.

Not really. I hate commercials. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount not to put up with them.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 08:24:48 AM »
Not really. I hate commercials. I'm willing to pay a reasonable amount not to put up with them.

You probably want to reevaluate what is reasonable. Saving over $150/month by ditching DirecTV and going to over the air TV and a bit of streaming allowed me to tolerate commercials.

Uranus is a gas giant.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »
I have an antenna in the window that lets me pick up all the main network TV out of Houston.  It is good to have access to news and weather if I need it.  Other than that, the commercials can be painful, almost as bad as the normal show content of network TV.  I tried to watch a few shows that came on.  It sure seemed the time spent watching commercials every hour was longer than the actual show.  
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 03:40:08 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 03:41:52 PM »
Assuming college football starts up again, I am going to want to sign up with someone to get that.  I tried Youtube TV last year.  I didn't care for that much.  I had Sony Playstation View the year before, but I don't know if they are still available.  Sling might be the next one to try. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 03:58:42 PM »
Assuming college football starts up again, I am going to want to sign up with someone to get that.  I tried Youtube TV last year.  I didn't care for that much.  I had Sony Playstation View the year before, but I don't know if they are still available.  Sling might be the next one to try.  

I think Vue is dead or dying. Sling might be my next go as well. It appears Sling Blue with the news station add-on will get me what I want for $30+$5 = $35/mo. Significantly less than Youtube with much less channel bloat.

It looks like Youtube will raise my rates beginning in August, so I'll probably keep them this month, suspend or cancel in AUG, and give Sling a try then.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 05:16:11 PM »
What Live TV do you watch?

We have Netflix, Amazon (Would have Prime anyways), Disney + (Got it on the 3 years for $75 preorder) and Youtube Premium (no adds, $9.99/month).  I get a bunch of news channels on youtube, streaming pretty much live.  Any TV show I want is probably on one of my streaming services.

What are you looking for?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
What Live TV do you watch?

We have Netflix, Amazon (Would have Prime anyways), Disney + (Got it on the 3 years for $75 preorder) and Youtube Premium (no adds, $9.99/month).  I get a bunch of news channels on youtube, streaming pretty much live.  Any TV show I want is probably on one of my streaming services.

What are you looking for?

Fox Business is most watched, then a few series on network TV, a few on the cable networks, and occasionally the local news. Other than Fox Business and the local news, nothing I couldn't wait a year to see on Netflix. Though several networks don't send their older seasons of shows to Netflix anymore and keep them on their own streaming service instead.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2020, 09:11:49 AM »
College Football is about the only thing I care to watch live these days.  And most of it I could watch the next day or week if needed.  NFL is on the networks which are broadcast over the air (not that I plan to watch that crap).  I don't really watch anything else live that isn't also online or over the air.

One the great things about Playstation Vue is you could set it to save all the college football games then I could sit down Sunday or later and call up any of the games I cared to watch from Saturday.  You couldn't fast forward like a DVR very well, but it was great if you are a junkie for a particular subset of TV. 

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2020, 09:28:39 AM »
Fox Business is most watched, then a few series on network TV, a few on the cable networks, and occasionally the local news. Other than Fox Business and the local news, nothing I couldn't wait a year to see on Netflix. Though several networks don't send their older seasons of shows to Netflix anymore and keep them on their own streaming service instead.

https://www.youtube.com/user/FoxBusinessNetwork/videos

Looks like they average 15ish videos a day uploaded.  Obviously not live, and not everything they broadcast, but at least the highlights.  I suspect that popular and/or major stories get on YouTube pretty quick to get those sweet clicks.

I have no idea if that would scratch your itch, or if the remaining content is worth $50/month to you, but I thought I'd provide the option.  $600-$700 a year for live TV is real money, as they say.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 10:14:52 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/user/FoxBusinessNetwork/videos

Looks like they average 15ish videos a day uploaded.  Obviously not live, and not everything they broadcast, but at least the highlights.  I suspect that popular and/or major stories get on YouTube pretty quick to get those sweet clicks.

I have no idea if that would scratch your itch, or if the remaining content is worth $50/month to you, but I thought I'd provide the option.  $600-$700 a year for live TV is real money, as they say.
[/quote

No, I appreciate the suggestions. I mean, even now I look at what I'm paying for and asking myself if I'm really getting my money's worth. Again, looking further into it, Sling Blue with the news add-on could get me what I want for $35, which would save me ~$200/yr from what I'm paying now.

I can always then cancel it after a few months if it's not for me. I will say that is one area where streaming still gets a thumbs up from me - being able to subscribe/cancel and repeat monthly whenever I want. Much better than being stuck on cable for two years after finding you don't like it three months in.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 08:29:48 PM »
We’re going through this crap now to. Originally cut the cord and went with PlayStation Vue. When Sony shot that in the head we went with YouTube TV. That rate increase pisses me off to.

My wife spends most of the day with Cozi TV running. Old episodes of Andy Griffith and the like. Not many choices that include that channel.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
We ditched the satellite a couple of years ago. I mounted a cheap outdoor digital TV antenna to the old Dish pedestal on the roof and used the existing cable to feed in to the house.

All the local channels Out of Tulsa and Joplin including PBS plus HNI, METV and at least one that airs Criminal Minds* pretty much all day.

TV sees 55 or so digital channels but there are a number of religious stations and some home shopping crap but I ain't paying for it so don't care. We have Netflix, Prime, Disney and CBS All Access for streaming. It's enough to keep the wife happy* so I'm good.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't give a rat's rectum about watching sports so that's just not an issue.

*Keeping wife happy is a good thing. ;/
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 09:04:06 PM »
Though I was yelling at them in the OP, I can't completely blame Google for this. Like every other service, they have to negotiate with these damn networks who will only let them have a good channel if they also take 27 crappy channels that they also get charged for (and pass that on to us). I expect the other services will have to raise rates to some degree as well soon.

Though I just read that Sling has said all current subscribers and those who sign up before 01AUG get a one year guarantee on their rates. Which is actually kinda smart of them, given there appears to be a large contingent ditching Youtube, and Sling seems to be the top recipient of new subscribers. They'll get a ton of new subscribers, and in a year if they raise their prices $10, they'll probably still hold on to a significant enough number of them and be ahead of the game.

Anyway, given Sling's one year lock, for $35, I'm going to switch to them for a year and then reevaluate. It doesn't look like ala carte will happen anytime soon (again, because of the networks), but maybe in a year Youtube and others might come out with different subscription tiers that will give more choices.