Author Topic: Whiskey Cart  (Read 1089 times)

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
Whiskey Cart
« on: July 01, 2020, 01:44:34 AM »
Here's the challenge:  Name 4 to 6 different whiskeys to share with guests.  Generally for sipping, as I don't know if the finer spirits make better cocktails.  But seeing as I am an educator, let's keep the combined budget under 200 bucks. I know diddly about the pricier varieties. 

My favorite to sip or mix is Makers Mark.  Other that I have enjoyed are:

Knob Creek and Bullit ryes (and bourbons too)
Crown Royal
Jameson (likey the low price)
Gentleman Jack

Go...

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Whiskey Cart
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 07:44:43 AM »
I drink mostly Crown Royal at home. I always have on hand these whiskys: Black Bush or Jamison's, American Rye of some sort, usually one from Iowa, Balvenie Double Wood 12 year, Walker Red, Jim Beam, Canadian Club, Maker's Mark. I always have club soda, since my prefered cocktail is booze and soda. I also have good quality rum (mulitple types), gin and vodka. I love rum as much as whisky.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 09:12:24 AM »
Since you didn't mention size, I'm presuming the smaller bottles available for each (if there is one).

Eagle Rare
Buffalo Trace
Maker's Mark
Jameson (SWMBO's fav)
Wild Turkey 101

Check out the Whiskey Tribe channel on YouTube. They do a pretty good job of covering the entire spectrum of spirits while keeping things in context of price, drinker's palate and experience, and general use/drinkability.

Brad
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 11:01:55 AM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 10:21:53 AM »
High West Campfire is an excellent choice at ~$60. It's a super tasty blend of bourbon, rye, and scotch. My favorite American whiskey. Their Double Rye is a great choice for bang for the buck at ~$35.

You should absolutely include a good scotch. I'm a big fan of smoky Islay single malts, so will have to recommend Lagavulin 16 at ~$80. One of the guys that like scotch from other regions can maybe chime in with an equivalent.

Redbreast 12yr Single Pot is a very good quality Irish whiskey. Around $60. Sexton is an excellent bang for the buck alternative for ~$35.

You might consider including a Japanese whiskey. I've only sampled a couple, so will let someone else chime in with recommendations.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 10:31:00 AM »
I don
t have a lot to add except if you are going to do an Irish Whiskey I would also consider Tullamore Dew, either the standard or the 12 year reserve.

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 10:54:27 AM »
Oh, rereading the OP, my recommendations were for sipping whiskey only. Please don't blend them with RC Cola or something.

I have found a really nice whiskey for blending into stuff like old-fashioneds to be Old Overholt. Good price point as well.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2020, 11:13:51 AM »
For Irish sipping whiskey I like Green Spot.  It is about $60 for a fifth.  Very smooth and easy to drink.

Brad Johnson named my other favorites.

Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 12:38:58 PM »
One I've discovered is "Quiet Man". It's an Irish whisky that is just a little cheaper than Maker's Mark that I find comparable or even better.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2020, 12:44:11 PM »
Glenmorangie 10 runs about $35,  and it's a light,  fruity scotch.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 05:32:11 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I think I'm off to Total Wine to check out some sample bottles

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 05:35:14 PM »
Drambuie. All else is lantern fuel.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 06:33:37 PM »

Woody

I'll be right over

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 06:35:53 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  I think I'm off to Total Wine to check out some sample bottles

Their house brands of scotch are pretty good. I drink mostly Speyside scotch.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »

Woody

Rusty nail time!
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 10:32:06 PM »
Being an infidel, I’m about to pour a Yukon Jack and water. Straight whiskey is ok but I really, really like Yukon. So much so that I dare not keep a bottle in the house all the time. I buy a handle maybe two months from the last.

I do like Crown Royal but cannot drink Bourbon.

JB
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2020, 04:03:52 PM »
Glenmorangie 10 runs about $35,  and it's a light,  fruity scotch.

I second this nomination.  Good stuff.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2020, 05:44:25 PM »
I really like Costco's Kirkland Canadian Whisky.  Tastes about like Crown Royal but it's a lot cheaper.

Elijah Craig is very good, and not *too* expensive.  I've given it as gifts before and it has been well received.  It tastes like it has a little rye to it.

My all-time favorite whiskey is Wild Turkey 101 Rye.  I don't think they make it anymore.  :'( Don't know if regular Wild Turkey 101 is the best substitute, or their 80-something proof rye.

I'm not much of a Scotch or Irish whiskey guy.  And I've never tried Japan's.
"It's good, though..."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2020, 05:47:12 PM »
Crown, Jameson and yes the Glenmorangie.

You will soon see my address in your PM to send any you don't like.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2020, 06:14:59 PM »
Has Evan Williams been mentioned? Son 2 prefers Kesslers ( or something like that). It’s pretty decent for sipping.

I’ve seen a billboard along I94 proclaiming that Cascade is America’s number one sipping whiskey, though I haven’t any experience with it.

Jon
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!