Author Topic: 13 months for selling Las Vegas shooter ammo  (Read 720 times)

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
13 months for selling Las Vegas shooter ammo
« on: July 01, 2020, 10:34:01 AM »
He was charged with manufacturing ammunition for sale without the proper licensing but it begs the question would they have come down on him this hard or even at all if not for the shooting?

On a personal note shooting someone else's hand loads gives me the willies

An Arizona man was sentenced Tuesday to 13 months in federal prison for selling home-loaded bullets to the gunman who unleashed the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history, killing 58 people in the Las Vegas Strip in October 2017.

Douglas Haig, 57, also was sentenced to three years of supervised release for his guilty plea last November to manufacturing ammunition without a license, said Trisha Young, spokeswoman for U.S. Attorney Nicholas Trutanich.

Arizona Man Gets 13 Months for Selling Home-Loaded Ammunition to Las Vegas Shooter
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/arizona-man-gets-13-months-for-selling-home-loaded-ammunition-to-las-vegas-shooter/

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: 13 months for selling Las Vegas shooter ammo
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »
We used to have several locals hawking home-rolled wares at local gun shows. I was only really familiar with one because he was always lurking around the gun store I worked for at the time. He was a straight-up dumbass. I wouldn't have trusted him to pour a glass of water, much less properly load a cartridge.

My guess was the guy took the sentence on a plea deal to knock down the "unlicensed ammo mfg" part. With good behavior he'll be out in 6-8 months. With a decent attorney and careful judge selection, he might not do any time at all given a bit of luck on the appeal.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 11:28:52 AM »
My guess was the guy took the sentence on a plea deal to knock down the "unlicensed ammo mfg" part. With good behavior he'll be out in 6-8 months. With a decent attorney and careful judge selection, he might not do any time at all given a bit of luck on the appeal.

Brad

"No time at all" would have likely been the result if he wasn't connected to the shooter. Personally, I don't think he should get a harsher sentence because of what someone else did. He's in part paying for the fact that the shooter is not around to send through the legal process. Someone has to do some time for the bread and circuses.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 02:22:03 PM »
Plus the guy is now a convicted felon. And it's a federal conviction, which means there's no way he can get back his RKBA. (Other than a presidential pardon.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design