Author Topic: Auto Knives?  (Read 1935 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Auto Knives?
« on: July 05, 2020, 08:47:03 AM »
Anyone have an auto-opener? I have absolutely zero need for one and like my Zero Tolerance assisted openers, but I live in America now, dammit, and want one just because  I can have one.

Any recommendations on brands and knives that are reasonably priced? Even if I won't use it much, I don't want a crappy one that will break after 100 openings, but also don't want to spend a fortune on one. Maybe around the Kershaw price range, around 3.5"-4" blade.

Oh - also, any differences in how different knives activate that is a concern for a lefty?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Auto Knives?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »
I have a bone handle Boker 712, but that is probably way out the price range you are wanting to stay in.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 11:28:03 AM »
I have a gerber made in USA with lifetime warranty. It was just over a hundred bucks. It’s been great.
It is a double edge (which I would normally would not buy) but S30V at that price was the clincher.
I have had other autos in the over $500 range and the only one I regret selling was a Larry chew spitfire.
I still have a gene Osborn scale release wharncliff but the only reason I’ve kept it is because it’s value is limited.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 11:32:27 AM »
I bought a Kershaw on Amazon, and wonder if it might have been a counterfeit because it came so dull (Kershaws have a reputation for being sharp out of the box) and the overall workmanship was pretty bad.  It was one of their Chinese models, but that shouldn't matter much.  I sent it back.  The quick opener worked well and was pretty cool.  IIRC, the thumb stud was useless because it was too close to the handle, but you didn't need that to flick it open.

Or are you talking about a real switchblade or gravity knife?  (the ones that are illegal in some states)
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 11:34:48 AM »

Or are you talking about a real switchblade or gravity knife?  (the ones that are illegal in some states)

Yes. I already have assisted openers for EDC, which I think I would trust more than an auto in that use.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 11:42:35 AM »
I have a Boker Kalashnikov knife - a cheap knife - which is my every day carry. It came in a box designed to look sort of like an AK-47 magazine, which I guess is supposed to be a selling point to the target market. Initially it didn't work very smoothly, but after disassembling it and polishing up the stud, it works fine. No problem with it breaking after 100+ openings. It was made in Taiwan, so at least it's not a commie product.  ;)

I also have a considerably more expensive "Made in USA" Pro-Tech TR-3. This knife shows better workmanship, works smoothly, and has a blade made of 154CM steel which is supposed to be better than the Boker's AUS8, but the clip is awfully tight. AND . . . according to the enclosed literature, it has NO warranty unless you work for the government, since they won't repair it unless you include your military or police ID when you send it in.  [barf]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 08:42:33 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 11:51:27 AM »
I have one, a Masters of Defense MPAK, that I bought from the Exchange back in the day. It feels pretty well made, actuates smoothly, and locks up solidly.
I tried to attach a pic, but the forum says that my file is too large.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
I have a Gerber Propel Downrange that I've had for 5 or 6 years.  It works well and has good steel.  I prefer a drop point instead of the Tanto it has, but the knife is solid.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 12:37:52 PM »
Thanks for input so far. I should have not been so ambiguous on price and added that when I said Kershaw price, I was thinking $100-$150 range, which is what many of their autos seem to go for.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 12:55:20 PM »
Auto knives are illegal in Washington state unless you are law enforcement, first responder or military on official duty.  Even if you are law enforcement, etc., you cannot carry it off duty.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 01:04:04 PM »
I buy cheap knives because I'm always losing them. And paying the same amount of money I would for a pistol for technology that's basically a sharp piece of steel... well it's that's just insane to me.

The $20-30 prince range always works well enough, and it's no sweat when it vanishes, or if I come up on an unexpected security checkpoint and I need to ditch the knife somewhere, or just throw it in the trash even.

I've got this Ganzo, and it definitely punches above it's weight (price) in terms of fit and finish. And it was scary/shaving sharp from the factory too. But if I lose it, I'll just buy another, or find something else that fits the bill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0llTbUu0SQY

I will say though that auto knives aren't quite as utilitarian as they used to be, with so many non-auto knives having assisted opening or thumb studs, finger levers etc. for one-handed operation.
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »
  I was looking at a cheap one in a pawn shop on Friday, a Shrade .
The button to open was on the side, it seemed like a weird design and it was.
 I pressed the button and sliced my palm  :mad: ;/
 definitely go with a good one, I like the way benchmade looks but heard they cooperated with Big Brother - the local 5.11 store has them and Houge - Houge seems like they're ok
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Kingcreek

• friend
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 03:12:22 PM »
The gerber models made in USA would be my recommendation in your price range. S30V is outstanding steel.
I think my model is empower or something similar. I paid $106.
What we have here is failure to communicate.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 03:31:06 PM »
Protech are supposed to be pretty good. They have a few models that are under $150:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-Protech--67#P
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2020, 07:08:08 PM »
Protech are supposed to be pretty good. They have a few models that are under $150:

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--All-Protech--67#P

Yeah. They seem to be the beez neez of the auto world, however YBMV  :P

It seems that autos are the way to go if you fancy your pocket knife a defensive tool as well.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2020, 07:30:12 PM »
Yeah. They seem to be the beez neez of the auto world, however YBMV  :P

It seems that autos are the way to go if you fancy your pocket knife a defensive tool as well.

That's probably why they are illegal in Minnesota. 
"It's good, though..."

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2020, 07:38:29 PM »
FYI, Bucks sells a 110 Auto. I would have bought one during g their factory sale but they are not LH friendly. :(

bob

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2020, 07:48:04 PM »
FYI, Bucks sells a 110 Auto. I would have bought one during g their factory sale but they are not LH friendly. :(

bob

The Ganzo posted above looks interesting, but they don't make a LH version.  Then I looked up whether they are legal here, and they are not so it doesn't matter. :(  (Also Heritage revolvers are illegal here.
 I found that out when Cabela's had them on sale and I drove to Oronoco to buy one, only to be told they are not for sale in this state)
"It's good, though..."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2020, 10:36:16 PM »
Colorado viewpoint.

1.  I thought doble edged blades put them into the "dagger" category, which were illegal on their own, independent of other super deadly dangerous implements and are therefore unsuitable for the commonfolk.

2.  I bought my first autos real cheap about fifteen years ago from a Russian-owned dollar store just because of my fascination with them from the movie "Blackboard Jungle" and at the time they were illegal. Do not use too much force on the handle or the blade will pop out of alignment with the innards and that's all she wrote.

3.  COmmierado recently legalized "switchblades" with some limitations on carrying and blade length, and I bought several so far from Smoke Shops, believe it or not.  I was fascinated with the ones where the blade pops straight out (I forget the technical term) and I found that the larger ones are difficult to operate with my arthur-itis because of the strong double springing involved. I keep a small one on the end table next to the couch, which is really kind of fun.  I carried it in my pocket for a while until I discovered that pocket lint kept it from operating until I blew out the crud.  So I don't carry it any more, being content with a regular small folder for my pocket.

4.  I'm not really a knife aficionado, e.g., it wasn't until a year ago that I discovered what "scales" were.

5.  That's all I know. Oh, wait! Fig Newtons were named after a town in Massachusetts, not the scientist.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 10:50:20 PM by 230RN »

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2020, 10:41:21 PM »
I've got one of these with a black handle and plain blade, no complaints.

https://kershawguy.com/products-page/automatics/kershaw-7600blublk-blue-launch-5-emerson-design-cpm154-automatic-blue/

Get one that's USA made, I like S30V and CPM154 steel.

I've also got a cheap OTF that basically gets used as a letter opener.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2020, 11:03:56 AM »
Dogmush - you're a lefty, yeah? How does that Gerber work for you? Are you just using the side of your index finger? If I can work the button on one of these the same as I can work the controls on a 1911, I won't be that concerned about looking for an ambi knife.

Assisted openers are a different story with thumb openers. One of the reasons I like the Zero Tolerance knives. Well placed flipper vs thumb studs and clip is totally configurable for ambi use.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2020, 02:02:56 PM »
Dogmush - you're a lefty, yeah? How does that Gerber work for you? Are you just using the side of your index finger? If I can work the button on one of these the same as I can work the controls on a 1911, I won't be that concerned about looking for an ambi knife.

Assisted openers are a different story with thumb openers. One of the reasons I like the Zero Tolerance knives. Well placed flipper vs thumb studs and clip is totally configurable for ambi use.

No help here, I use a knife with my right hand.  Am a weirdo that way.

JN01

• friend
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2020, 04:39:26 PM »
Last fall, I moved from Ohio, where it is illegal to carry a knife as a weapon, to Tennessee, where knives are not restricted at all.

I still don't really view my knives as weapons, that is what guns are for.  I would have to be an absolute last resort to use a blade.

However, I carry and use a knife every day as a tool.  Never really thought about switchblades before as they were never really an option.  After relocating about 10 miles from Smoky Mountain Knife Works, I was able to handle a bunch and reconsider.  I ended up buying a double action front opener (Microtech Ultratech).  If you are holding something with one hand, they are very easy to open with the other hand without having to shift your grip.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2020, 08:31:27 PM »
I got a really good deal on a benchmade auto at the gunshow, I carry it too much, it is rock solid and excellent steel. Like most BM it is too hard really, a bear to sharpen.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2020, 07:25:36 AM »
I think I'm interested in Protech, as they make a good selection of lefty knives right at the high end of my price range, and do seem to get good reviews. Of course most lefty models seem to be sold out right now. Grrr.