Author Topic: I have joined the electric bicycle club  (Read 643 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
I have joined the electric bicycle club
« on: July 05, 2020, 08:49:18 PM »
I never thought I would say this, but I have joined the electric bicycle club. I am going to Orthopedics later this week to see what they have to say about my bilateral hip pain and reduced range of motion.  I have dug out the PT exercises from my bout of trochanteric bursitis a few years back, and have been doing them for about 2.5 weeks.  I have not noticed a change in the pain level or range of motion, which does not fill me with optimism.

I was casting about for what I could do to stay on a bicycle, if I could not throw a leg over my road/MTB bikes. Some people in my informal riding club have gone over to the electric side, and they seem pretty happy about it.  I was looking to see if I could find an electric bike with a low stand over height so I could mount and dismount it, and one made with quality components that I could work on myself, at least the mechanical components.  

So to make a long story short, I have just came back from the electric bike shop, where I ordered a Tern HSD 8si: https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-s8i  It has a Shimano Nexus 8 internal hub, A Gates carbon belt, Magura hydraulic brakes, a Bosch Active Line Plus mid-drive motor and 400 watt Bosch power pack.  It can carry an impressive amount of cargo, which bodes well for riding to the local microbreweries and coming home with a crate of beer. I took a test ride and was amazed how the motor even on the low setting made the hills so much easier.  And I was pleased to discover that I could turn off the power altogether and just pedal normally.  On the flat in top gear and power off, I was easily cruising at 20 mph plus.  Years ago, I had a Dahon Mu XL with a Nexus 8 internal hub, and I loved that bike.  The fact that the Tern is a cousin of the Dahon with a similar layout sealed the deal.  The price is the same as a decent used car, but it should last me for a long time.

So come what may, I will have at least one bicycle I can ride.  I will be diligent with any recommendations for treatment, etc., but if I still can't get on the motorcycle by this time next year, I might as well sell it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: I have joined the electric bicycle club
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:41 PM »
My place of employment has a mens Electra Townie E-bike on the floor. I would love to have it for tooling around town, it's pretty sweet.

I still prefer to suffer riding under my own power on singletrack dirt trails.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 12:05:29 AM »
My local REI nor the online store carries that particular model of the Tern.  I called my local store, and they cannot special order individual bikes that the corporation does not carry.  Bummer, since that would have really helped the dividend.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 08:06:44 AM »
E-bikes are huge right now and as the prices start to drop they will become even more popular.

I think there being both Tern and Dahon was the result of a falling out in the original company. I don't recall who was first but one of them split off from the other.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.