Author Topic: PSA: Samsung Customization Service  (Read 955 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
PSA: Samsung Customization Service
« on: July 06, 2020, 10:14:57 AM »
This may just be me being retired and away from tech too long and you guys with Samsung phones may know this, but:

For the past few days, I have been having ridiculous overnight drains on my phone. I generally attribute it to crappy apps like SiriusXM not working right, so just reboot the phone. However when it happened this morning, I decided to see which app was doing it. None of the usual culprits.

Instead, I saw "customization service". Never heard of it. Some googling showed it to be the Samsung equivalent of Google's intrusive "personalization services". Super intrusive and ties in to a ton of stuff on the phone. It is apparently automatically turned on when you accept Samsung's terms of service. Now I'm generally pretty good about going through settings to turn off intrusive stuff like that. Only this isn't in normal settings. To turn it off, you have to go to "Gallery" (as in photo gallery) and go to settings there. Totally unintuitive.

I noticed that in the past several weeks I have gotten several updated Samsung terms of service notices to agree to. I'm almost wondering if I did turn this off when I first got the phone, but it was reactivated with the new terms of service.

Anyway, just an FYI about a creepy app if you weren't aware. Gallery/settings/customization services
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: PSA: Samsung Customization Service
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 10:46:16 AM »
Done on my Galaxy S9. Turned off permanently.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2020, 10:52:01 AM »
Get rid of all the Samsung software, root it and install CyanogenMod

https://cyanogenmodroms.com/
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 02:07:35 PM »

Anyway, just an FYI about a creepy app if you weren't aware. Gallery/settings/customization services

Which phone and who is your carrier? I have a Samsung J3 Eclipse, with Verizon, and I don't have a Customization Services under Gallery/Settings.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2020, 02:39:49 PM »
Which phone and who is your carrier? I have a Samsung J3 Eclipse, with Verizon, and I don't have a Customization Services under Gallery/Settings.

S9, Verizon. Carrier doesn't matter though.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

JN01

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2020, 04:26:07 PM »
Thanks. Turned it off on my J7.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2020, 07:52:28 PM »
Both mine and my wife's say "unused."   It looks like the service only works if you create/sign in to a Samsung account, which we never did.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2020, 08:19:57 PM »
I had a Samsung account before I had the Samsung phone.  It was for the two Samsung smart TVs: I think you have to have an account to download software updates for the sets.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 08:24:48 PM »
I had a Samsung account before I had the Samsung phone.  It was for the two Samsung smart TVs: I think you have to have an account to download software updates for the sets.

Yes me too. I didn't recall signing up for the phone but I think you're right that you have to for the tv especially if running it off your phone

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 08:55:47 PM »
After seeing the thread title, I thought Palmetto State Armory had come out with some cool Samsung phone modifications.   =)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge