Author Topic: Email Experts--What's Goin' On ????  (Read 1535 times)

Waitone

• friend
Email Experts--What's Goin' On ????
« on: May 15, 2005, 07:19:57 AM »
Out of the clear blue ether I start getting emails from what looks like German sources.  The one and only one I opened contained links to what appears to be a German language site.  I did not go to the site.

Not a lot of emails; just enough to be suspicious.

Details
Windows ME (Tried XP and thought I'd be committed to the nut house so I reinstalled ME)
Netscape 7.2
Netscape Mail

What happened and what's fixin' to happen???

Regards
Waitone
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 07:42:57 AM »
Sounds like you got your name on mailing list.  Nothing much you can do except block any emails from that source.  I'd highly suggest not clicking on any link, or replying to the message.

Don't think switching to Thunderbird is necessary, though.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:07:28 AM »
I'll second the recommendation for Thunderbird.  I've used it for over six months now, and it's the best e-mail client I've ever had.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 10:42:41 AM »
May have to take a look at it.  Does it work with ActiveSync and Hotmail?

However, no matter how good the software is, it won't prevent the messages from going to him, it can only clean them up so he doesn't get them in his inbox.  

Another good suggestion, have two e-mail accounts.  I have my school (my MTU mail) and my 'other' (free Hotmail) accounts.  My school address only gets out on a need-to-know basis.  Only family and school people have that one.  THe Hotmail account gets used for all the signing up for websites stuff.  I only a bit of junk, and a lot of useful stuff, and try to keep it cleared out.  I'm still cautious in giving it out, but it is there so if I do get spammed, it isn't clogging up my important account.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 02:04:45 PM »
What jevnek said +1...

Paddy

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 05:18:08 PM »
I just started getting some 30-50 of these German junk mails a day.  Thunderbird tosses most of them in the junkmail box, but they're still a pain.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 09:47:32 AM »
The German-language emails are the result of the latest outbreak of the SOBER worm.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 09:59:22 AM »
I was wondering if it was virus related.

I've been getting a lot of those, as well.

I had my firewall off a few weeks ago, and was afraid someone had spoofed or trojaned me when I had it off.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Greg L

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 09:56:38 AM »

Waitone

• friend
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon