Author Topic: Hotter'n hell and bone dry.  (Read 2297 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Hotter'n hell and bone dry.
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2020, 09:37:05 PM »
Yeah, I just went out for a smoke... It's not going to be pleasant. Humidity level is increasing, as is the overall temperature. I'm in Fairfax/Oakton right now.

Monday when I was coming home from a friend's place it was swampy balls humid, and I had a very interesting thing happen...

I was running on I-95 with full AC for quite awhile (gotta keep Seren comfortable). I rolled down my window to knock the coal off the end of my cigarette and when I stuck my arm out the window to do so, I actually had water condensing on my arm. Never had that happen before.

Wow. that sure made my sphincters shrink.  Fire danger is extreme here right now, so it kinda triggered me.  I'm sure it was perfectly acceptable for DC and its environs, though, right? 

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2020, 09:51:18 PM »
Last week here heat index was 115-120 I had it about 78 in the cabin and when I walked out my glasses fogged.

Supposed to stay in the 80's tomorrow but humugity is going to be 90%+

Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 12:32:38 AM »
Hotter'n hell and bone dry.

That's what grandpa said about grandma just moments before his unexpected trip to the hospital.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 07:28:59 AM »
Wow. that sure made my sphincters shrink.  Fire danger is extreme here right now, so it kinda triggered me.  I'm sure it was perfectly acceptable for DC and its environs, though, right? 

Acceptable? Probably not. I don't toss the whole butt out the window anymore. Used to do that. If there were a fire danger I wouldn't do it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2020, 07:31:26 AM »
I wouldn't count on it. 

Humidity is only subsiding very slightly, the drop in RH is due mostly to dry bulb temperatures increasing.  I don't know exactly where you are but the Dp looks to still be 70+ in the DC region this evening.

Actually, by the time I left work around 5:45 the humidity had gone back down into the low 40s. It wasn't dry, but it was a LOT more pleasant than I thought it was going to be and Seren and I had a very nice walk after I picked her up.

This morning it's quite humid, pushing 100%, but that's common... Yep, right now, 72 degrees and 97% humidity.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
High here yesterday was 102, with 15% humidity.  Supposed to be in the triple digits for the next six days.  Nice thing about the high plains though, it is usually in the high 50s at sunrise.

We've been working in the garden in the mornings, and we're about caught up, so we're going to do the retired thing this morning and drive up to Cuchara for lunch at the Dog Bar and Grill and wander around for a while looking in the little shops.  Neat little tourist town about 1.5 hours away, and it's at 8,500 feet, so nice and cool.  We're at 4,800 feet, considered "the lowlands" in Colorado.

https://www.dogbarandgrill.com/

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2020, 11:44:32 AM »

We've been working in the garden in the mornings, and we're about caught up, so we're going to do the retired thing this morning and drive up to Cuchara for lunch at the Dog Bar and Grill and wander around for a while looking in the little shops.  Neat little tourist town about 1.5 hours away, and it's at 8,500 feet, so nice and cool.  We're at 4,800 feet, considered "the lowlands" in Colorado.

https://www.dogbarandgrill.com/

There's a lot of places like that around here that I want to visit to escape the Summer heat, but between the late rains keeping me busy with weed control, and the virus postponing contractors coming out to do some stuff for me, I haven't had a chance to. Finally getting all that stuff wrapped up now, so hoping to do an early start day hike to a lake, then a late lunch at a roadhouse on the way home one day next week.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »
I certainly hope that they allow Steve to accompany you for lunch at the roadhouse.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2020, 01:28:30 PM »
I certainly hope that they allow Steve to accompany you for lunch at the roadhouse.

I certainly hope he behaves himself if they do.  :laugh:

The group training I took him to was run by a gal who works at a restaurant as her day job, and she had me bring him by there last week as a test run on their patio. He did good for most of it, but I just haven't been able to break him of that "first five minutes and I've got to let everyone know I'm here" thing. I'm hoping he grows out of that soon.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2020, 04:54:56 PM »
Well, it was in the mid-eighties in Cuchara too.  Not as hot as here though...  We'll probably go back up there the first Saturday of October for the La Veta Oktoberfest.  We drive to Trinidad and get on Hwy 12 "The Highway of Legends", and hope to see some color in the aspens.  Then. stop for lunch at The Dog, then another 11 miles down the hill to La Veta.  Usually it's a beautiful day, but it can be cold.

And Ben, pups are welcome at The Dog, but only out on the patio.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2020, 05:01:59 PM »
We finally got a nice hour long rain here today.  Temp dropped from 93 degrees down to around 80.  I was tempted to strip nekkid and run through the mud puddles but Swmbo wouldn't let me.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2020, 05:10:39 PM »
It's currently 92 with 52% humidity. It's hot.

If you too would like to experience SC in July but from afar take a hot shower and put your clothes on without drying off

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2020, 05:14:19 PM »
We've had temps in the low-mid 90s and humidity this week (St Louis area), and they're predicting high 90s next week. People are complaining, like they do every year, as if they're surprised that summer is unreasonably hot in this part of the world.

This is what they said they were looking forward to, six months ago.

???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• friends
Re: Re: Hotter'n hell and bone dry.
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2020, 05:15:41 PM »
A funny aside on what is considered hot or not: I get my weather from weather.gov. Where my dad lives, you only get the "sky on fire hot" graphic on days that break 100. Here you get it on days that break 90. On the other hand, around the end of SEP, the weather service here gives like one or two warnings about hard freezes, then gives a little blurb about, "This is your last warning. It's gonna freeze every night, so get use to it." Where my dad is, they'll start announcing a single day of potential hard freeze days in advance with all kinds of ZOMG! warnings.  :laugh:
I think a big part of that is what's normal, people are used to and know how to handle, and what they're equipped to handle. Snows a big example. I'm from NJ and my first winter or two down here were a massive shock. Snows I wouldn't think twice of going about my day in when I lived in NJ or PA shut this place DOWN. But they also don't have the infrastructure/expertise to deal with it and people haven't the foggiest idea how to drive in it. Same with temp. We get the occasional cold spell the houses I dilation and heating simply can't deal with. Whereas in many areas, a summer spell that no one here would think twice of isn't usually pretty in other areas.

That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2020, 05:22:05 PM »
It's currently 92 with 52% humidity. It's hot.

If you too would like to experience SC in July but from afar take a hot shower and put your clothes on without drying off

95 76% here in Louisville. Sort of normal here
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2020, 05:29:22 PM »
95 76% here in Louisville. Sort of normal here
Aye. To be fair it's a bit dry

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2020, 05:35:54 PM »
I think a big part of that is what's normal, people are used to and know how to handle, and what they're equipped to handle. Snows a big example. I'm from NJ and my first winter or two down here were a massive shock. Snows I wouldn't think twice of going about my day in when I lived in NJ or PA shut this place DOWN. But they also don't have the infrastructure/expertise to deal with it and people haven't the foggiest idea how to drive in it. Same with temp. We get the occasional cold spell the houses I dilation and heating simply can't deal with. Whereas in many areas, a summer spell that no one here would think twice of isn't usually pretty in other areas.

Yeah, just think about whenever it was that Europe had that heat wave and all those elderly people in France died. I'm not even sure if it broke 100, but they were in buildings with no AC and not designed to circulate air, plus not being acclimated to it. I actually just ran to wiki while typing. It was AUG03 and did hit up to 105 a few days, Most though, were in the high 90s.

Not long ago I posted about how proud I was of myself this last Winter about acclimating to Idaho and going to the grocery store in like a long sleeved T or similar when it was 15deg or so. Then as I walked into the store, a guy was walking out in shorts and flip flops.  :laugh:

In my defense, he weighed like 400lbs, so he was already somewhat insulated. Still though.