Author Topic: Re-militarize the Police  (Read 2930 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Re-militarize the Police
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 10:26:19 AM »
At risk of appearing to be sympathetic to her, which I am not, I think the arrest of Ghislaine Maxwell is a perfect example of police over-reaction.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/05/ghislaine-maxwell-arrest-spy-planes-armed-agents-used-in-takedown/

Small planes had started buzzing over Bradford, New Hampshire, from 4:20 a.m. Thursday — four hours before the raid on Maxwell’s 156-acre hideaway, locals told the Mail on Sunday newspaper.

When 24 armed FBI agents finally stormed the property — appropriately named “Tuckedaway” — they were backed by New York cops, local officers and even New Hampshire’s gang task force, the paper said.

After using bolt cutters to break the lock on a metal gate, the teams “drove at speed up the half-mile driveway in a convoy of 15 vehicles,” an officer told the paper.

And let’s just say, we didn’t knock politely on the door,” the officer said. “It was smashed down.

All that ... to arrest a solitary, 56-year old woman. WHY was it necessary to smash through the front door? Why couldn't they have knocked, or rung the doorbell, like civilized human beings? 15 vehicles (plus multiple aircraft)  ... seriously? It makes no sense at all.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 10:38:07 AM »
At risk of appearing to be sympathetic to her, which I am not, I think the arrest of Ghislaine Maxwell is a perfect example of police over-reaction.

https://nypost.com/2020/07/05/ghislaine-maxwell-arrest-spy-planes-armed-agents-used-in-takedown/

All that ... to arrest a solitary, 56-year old woman. WHY was it necessary to smash through the front door? Why couldn't they have knocked, or rung the doorbell, like civilized human beings? 15 vehicles (plus multiple aircraft)  ... seriously? It makes no sense at all.

I did not hear about that. It's outrageous. Like you, I'm not saying that to be sympathetic towards her, but if we let it happen to her, then it happens to Roger Stone, then it happens to one of us.

The cop's quote is also outrageous and nothing more than bravado. Exactly the kind of person you don't want to see with a badge.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2020, 12:18:44 PM »
The flip side is that it was a very large house along with multiple other structures including a party barn on 156 acres.  Smashing the door was probably unnecessary, but I'd want a big team to cover that kind of property.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:02 PM »
The flip side is that it was a very large house along with multiple other structures including a party barn on 156 acres.  Smashing the door was probably unnecessary, but I'd want a big team to cover that kind of property.

But how big does the team have to be? The had planes flying over the property from just after 04:00 a.m. They probably also had drones. 24 FBI agents plus certainly multiple numbers from the NYPD, local officers (probably all two of them), and the New Hampshire gang task force. FIFTEEN vehicles. They must have had fifty or seventy-five people on the ground, plus the pilots and airborne observers. I don't care how big the property is, that's a wee mite excessive (IMHO).

But everyone involved now gets to tell their grandkids that they helped capture a notorious fugitive.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2020, 09:01:57 AM »
There was also, as far as I'm aware,  no reason to suspect a violent response.

Sure she had run away and hid, but as far as I am aware not one of these rich pedos has gone all "Say 'allo to my 'little frien'" while being arrested.

Did she hire a Blackwater team for security?

Just what the hell did they expect to happen?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »
NYPD limits retirement applications amid 400 percent surge this week
https://nypost.com/2020/07/08/nypd-limits-retirement-applications-amid-411-surge-this-week/

The NYPD said Wednesday that 179 cops filed for retirement between June 29 and Monday, an astounding 411 percent increase over the 35 who filed during the same period in 2019.

The astonishing rush for the door came as 503 cops filed for retirement between May 25 — the day George Floyd was killed in Minneapolis, sparking anti-cop protests around the country — and July 3, the NYPD said.
The article says part of it is cutting overtime and other benefits that get them extra money, but I thought I recall NYC cutting the police budget amid all the BLM stuff.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2020, 03:05:47 PM »
Did she hire a Blackwater team for security?
No, apparently former British military, although I don't think they resisted the officers at all.

Also appears that they did knock and ask her to open the door and they saw her ran off into another part of the house.  I'm not upset about them booting the door at that point.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8518247/Ghislaine-Maxwell-tried-flee-phone-wrapped-tin-foil-FBI-arrived-home.html