Author Topic: Portland ...  (Read 58463 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
Re: Portland ...
« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2020, 12:40:24 PM »
The Fed.Gov would do themselves a favor if they did just that. They are, after all, directly tasked with the protection of Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, all of which are being directly threatened by the inaction of Portland's local governance.

Brad

But are they unlawful or just incompetent?  And at what point does willful incompetence become unlawful.  Maybe that's for the courts to decide *after* the arrests are made.

It would probably be better if the state handled it instead of the feds, if they would use a big hammer like removing all the top local officials from office and putting the city under some kind of guardianship.  But the state might be in on the current situation; it's hard to tell from here.

I think this applies to the mayor and the DA in Portland, even if their motive is just stupidity: https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2383   Lock 'em up.  (searching for a smiley face wearing a judge's wig and banging a gavel)
"It's good, though..."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2020, 12:52:19 PM »
But are they unlawful or just incompetent?  And at what point does willful incompetence become unlawful.

When it's willful. It's called "nonfeasance."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #252 on: August 21, 2020, 10:06:23 PM »
I did not realize the guy whose grandma bought him a "riot vest" was such a key figure in the Portlandia revolt.

https://youtu.be/FZx5QCEMY2Q
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #253 on: August 21, 2020, 10:56:03 PM »
I did not realize the guy whose grandma bought him a "riot vest" was such a key figure in the Portlandia revolt.

https://youtu.be/FZx5QCEMY2Q

I didn't realize that vest boy was the self-styled hero who was "protecting" the nekked lady.

Such a gentleman!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #254 on: August 24, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
That's a good idea. Move all federal services offices to Bend or Medford. In rented space, so if future "peaceful protests" peacefully trash the places, the feds can just set up operations in other rented space in another city.

Bend and Medford are both lefty cities in a major way.  The riots would just follow to those cities.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #255 on: August 24, 2020, 05:43:45 PM »
Bend and Medford are both lefty cities in a major way.  The riots would just follow to those cities.

"Methford"

JN01

• friend
« Reply #256 on: August 24, 2020, 10:26:37 PM »

Reaping what they sow.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #257 on: August 24, 2020, 10:34:06 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #258 on: August 25, 2020, 09:21:37 AM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #259 on: August 29, 2020, 01:24:09 PM »

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #260 on: August 29, 2020, 01:25:12 PM »
 =D  [popcorn]
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #261 on: August 30, 2020, 08:26:05 AM »
Some Trump counter-protestors did a caravan through Portland yesterday. One person shot dead. Little information, but this Fox article suggests the death was on the Trump supporter side (a Patriot Prayer guy). If so, the spin from the looters should be...interesting.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-shooting-leaves-1-dead-as-pro-trump-group-clashes-with-blm
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #262 on: August 30, 2020, 09:05:05 AM »
Some Trump counter-protestors did a caravan through Portland yesterday. One person shot dead. Little information, but this Fox article suggests the death was on the Trump supporter side (a Patriot Prayer guy). If so, the spin from the looters should be...interesting.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-shooting-leaves-1-dead-as-pro-trump-group-clashes-with-blm

Oh how FOX News has fallen.

The framing, the word choices and presuppositions in that "report" are all leftist.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #263 on: August 30, 2020, 09:56:37 AM »

They're doing it wrong.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #266 on: August 30, 2020, 10:11:12 AM »
The sight of all that overwhelming love and peace must of have given the hate filled Trump supporter a heart attack. Love trumps hate.
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #267 on: August 30, 2020, 10:23:03 AM »
Feel the love

“I am not sad that a f—ing fascist died tonight,” says a woman at the antifa gathering in downtown Portland. The crowd laughs and cheers. The ID of the deceased is not confirmed but he is believed to be a Trump & blue lives supporter. #PortlandRiots pic.twitter.com/XV6471FSuF

— Andy Ngô (@MrAndyNgo) August 30, 2020
https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/one-dead-in-portland-shooting-after-antifa-trump-supporters-clash-video/
- Calvin and Hobbes

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #268 on: August 30, 2020, 01:29:27 PM »
The rules have, for certain, changed now.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #270 on: August 30, 2020, 01:34:34 PM »
The Portland shooting was likely in retaliation for the Kyle Rittenhouse shootings in Kenosha.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #271 on: August 30, 2020, 02:13:09 PM »
Fing stupid. Trump supporters on the loose in Portland has a 100% chance of optics that harm what they support. Let the other side do their own infomercial and hopefully burn the whole city unopposed. It's going to have to be a lot worse before Susie McPrius can no longer make excuses for them.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #272 on: August 30, 2020, 02:42:27 PM »
Fing stupid. Trump supporters on the loose in Portland has a 100% chance of optics that harm what they support. Let the other side do their own infomercial and hopefully burn the whole city unopposed. It's going to have to be a lot worse before Susie McPrius can no longer make excuses for them.

That's kinda where my thinking is. Just leave them to their own devices and let them destroy themselves. They've already been proving sensible people right in that the rioting didn't at all slow down after the feds pulled out.

Just let it burn. Maybe at some point enough leftists will be affected that they start whining to "do something!". As long as it's feds and conservatives being harmed, the riots are good. If there are no feds or conservatives around, the rioters are still gonna riot against whoever is left.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #273 on: August 30, 2020, 02:50:06 PM »
Some on the left are saying the decadent was pulling out some pepper spray first and that the shooter was not being threatening therefore the shooting was self-defense. 

That's likely a lie, but if true wouldn't it be self-defense?

I mean if someone is trying to incapacitate me I would have to assume he is willing to do worse to me, therefore I would have the right to defend myself.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #274 on: August 30, 2020, 03:38:57 PM »
That can work both ways.  If the decedent was pulling out pepper spray, it could also have been in self-defense.  It may have been the only thing he had to defend himself against the guy with the gun.