Author Topic: Portland ...  (Read 58446 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Portland ...
« Reply #75 on: July 24, 2020, 12:33:25 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GX71BF0ZoM
Seattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL1pdPezm54
Here is a press conference from Chicago.  Shows some of the "protesters" changing clothes and gathering weapons to throw at officers.  Toward the end it shows officers getting stuff thrown at them including incendiary stuff.  Not sure why they didn't have helmets and face shields.
β€œIt is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2020, 12:46:35 PM »
Do they have goggles that can filter stuff like that or do they have to know what to expect ahead of time?

They claim there are protective goggles, but not sure how they would work.  Auto-darkening welding filters, about shade 12?  But will those darken if just one little spot is illuminated?
"It's good, though..."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »
They claim there are protective goggles, but not sure how they would work.  Auto-darkening welding filters, about shade 12?  But will those darken if just one little spot is illuminated?

Laser safety goggles just work by filtering out the particular wavelength of the laser they are made for. Since laser's, technically, can be any wavelength of light there isn't, that I am aware of, any PPE that will protect against all lasers.

For example, I have some goggles that are good for most of the red-green-blue range, but when I bought a CO2 cutting laser I got a different set to block the 10,600nm beam.  The visible light glasses didn't go high enough.  (Or the ones that did both were $15 from china and I didn't roll that particular dice)

The military lasers that I have used usually have a physical block that prevents them from going to high-power unless you unscrew it, so soldiers don't blind each other in training.  (A real consideration when someone is whipping around an IR laser that can blind folks without triggering the blink reflex)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2020, 11:28:16 PM »
Is there still a Portland?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2020, 08:24:29 AM »
White House Press Secretary plays a video of the rioting in Portland (because the MSM won't). Not only do we get complaints about raw footage showing what is actually going on, but even "conservative" Fox News cuts away from this?

IMO, Kayleigh should be integrating stuff like this into her briefings even more. A picture is worth a thousand words. Or a thousand whines if you're talking about Jim Acosta.

https://twitchy.com/dougp-3137/2020/07/24/heres-fox-news-explanation-for-why-they-cut-away-from-wh-presser-when-kayleigh-mcenany-was-showing-video-of-portland-rioting/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
WHAAAAAT ???

Harris Faulkner provided this explanation:

Harris Faulkner defends Fox's decision to leave the briefing after McEnany showed video of Portland violence, saying it was b/c there was a "video that we were not told would air and how it would be edited with some things on screen that we might have wanted a heads up about." pic.twitter.com/ysbyOfmxV1

β€” Curtis Houck (@CurtisHouck) July 24, 2020

Since when does the White House send out pre-briefings on press briefings? The purpose of a press conference is to release news briefings.

What a slimy excuse for journalistic cowardice.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2020, 10:11:18 AM »
Maybe somebody needed to go pee
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2020, 11:06:48 AM »
Yeah, FOX News is driving hard left & Woke Since the elder Murdoch handed over the reigns.
How in the hell is Donna Brazil even employable in the "news" business after she help Clinton cheat in the debates?
Let alone being hired at Fox News. Hell, even CNN said she violated their extremely low ethical standards.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donna-brazile-fox-news-democrat-hillary-clinton-sanders-cnn-debate-a8830286.html

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

HankB

• friend
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2020, 12:35:32 PM »
Laser safety goggles just work by filtering out the particular wavelength of the laser they are made for. Since laser's, technically, can be any wavelength of light there isn't, that I am aware of, any PPE that will protect against all lasers.

For example, I have some goggles that are good for most of the red-green-blue range, but when I bought a CO2 cutting laser I got a different set to block the 10,600nm beam.  The visible light glasses didn't go high enough.  (Or the ones that did both were $15 from china and I didn't roll that particular dice)

The military lasers that I have used usually have a physical block that prevents them from going to high-power unless you unscrew it, so soldiers don't blind each other in training.  (A real consideration when someone is whipping around an IR laser that can blind folks without triggering the blink reflex)
The first part of what you wrote is correct - laser safety goggles are made to protect against specific lasers. Since common industrial lasers that pose eye hazards can range from UV to near IR, anything that protected against all wavelengths would simply be opaque.

Sounds like you were ripped off on the CO2 goggles. Very few materials that are transparent in the visible will also transmit a CO2 laser's 10.6 micron wavelength beam - in fact, when trying to focus or otherwise manipulate a CO2 laser's beam, you have to get special lenses made of materials like zinc selenide or germanium in order to transmit the beam. Ordinary polycarbonate lenses are fine to protect your eyes from 10.6 microns.

And by the way, unless the laser is REALLY powerful, your retina isn't at risk from a CO2 laser, since the lens/cornea are opaque to 10.6 microns.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2020, 06:02:40 PM »
YOU ARE NOT WEARING MY UNIFORM CORRECTLY!!!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1287124389339844610

Also, it seems someone who was in the military would know fed LE don't wear military uniforms.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2020, 07:30:17 PM »

Sounds like you were ripped off on the CO2 goggles. Very few materials that are transparent in the visible will also transmit a CO2 laser's 10.6 micron wavelength beam - in fact, when trying to focus or otherwise manipulate a CO2 laser's beam, you have to get special lenses made of materials like zinc selenide or germanium in order to transmit the beam. Ordinary polycarbonate lenses are fine to protect your eyes from 10.6 microns.

Shrug.  They weren't that expensive from a reputable US Laser safety place.  I have read a bit about CO2 lasers causing thermal damage to eyes, so I ered on the side of caution.   I like seeing.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2020, 08:52:56 PM »

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2020, 08:58:48 PM »
The head of the Portland NAACP has some cogent words regarding the Portland protests.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/07/25/president-of-portland-naacp-says-the-protests-were-supposed-to-be-about-black-lives-not-white-women/

Welcome to the wacky world of SJWs Mr. NAACP President where every thing is about them
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2020, 09:01:39 PM »
Suddenly everyone in Portland is a uniform expert too.

These colors don't run.

That's why, you smelly hippie.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/07/25/hippie-chick-wants-to-know-why-the-flag-is-backwards-on-the-uniforms-of-president-trumps-stormtroopers/

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #91 on: July 26, 2020, 12:56:38 AM »
Suddenly everyone in Portland is a uniform expert too.

These colors don't run.

That's why, you smelly hippie.

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2020/07/25/hippie-chick-wants-to-know-why-the-flag-is-backwards-on-the-uniforms-of-president-trumps-stormtroopers/

As a First Cav vet, I really loved the question about the horse patch.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #92 on: July 26, 2020, 11:00:47 AM »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2020, 12:09:17 PM »
These have become some of my favorite videos of these riots to watch. While the antifas have decided all black lives in a uniform are evil and they treat them similar (but not as bad) as white people, they absolutely never know what to do when none-LE black people oppose them. It's like you can see the smoke coming out of their ears. "But we're your saviors! Our attention whoring is for you! Bow before us because we know what's best for you!" :laugh:

WLJ

• friends
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2020, 12:12:35 PM »
There can be only one.... victim
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #95 on: July 26, 2020, 03:30:48 PM »
Seattle, not Portland, but same thing. Some lefty SJW radio host who was making fun of Trump "overreacting" to violence in Portland and Seattle is today saying that he needs a gun, because his apartment is above the Starbucks that was destroyed.

To paraphrase one of the comments, the jackass had his red pill moment not when peoples businesses were being destroyed, but when he couldn't get his $8 cup of coffee.

https://twitchy.com/samj-3930/2020/07/26/life-comes-at-you-fast-blue-check-telling-trump-to-chill-dawg-over-seattle-riots-learns-he-was-right-the-hard-way-screenshots/

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #96 on: July 26, 2020, 04:25:06 PM »
More "peaceful protesters" in Austin TX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWarhdskkHk
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #97 on: July 26, 2020, 06:49:11 PM »
I see this, and I realize we have zero common ground with these morons. There are zero concessions that we could make that would make them happy. It's as if we're dealing with an alien species with completely different brain circuitry.

https://twitter.com/jc_1303/status/1287231458508234753

You want this driver arrested for not stopping for your protest?
You want this driver arrested for attempting to take a detour that would keep her away from your crowd?
You want this driver arrested because you followed her and jumped on her car and demanded she stop and she wouldn't?
You demand all people stop and obey your illegal blocking of a public roadway.
You claim that all people would have to do is detour around you - there were plenty of opportunities?
What opportunities? Is there a Google app now to let drivers know that you're spontaneously blocking roads for "justice"? And that would somehow make it the driver's fault for not knowing you'll be blocking their upcoming path?
These "rich white people" don't have kids to pick up from school? Elderly parents to get to? Or just want to go home from work, which is their absolute right?

As many of the comments indicate, people are getting fed up enough that I think running the blockades will both be more common and likely accepted by LE. If someone does to me what they did to this lady, I'm not moving forward at 2MPH like she did. I'm accelerating and leaving the scene. If you're stupid enough to try and ride along on the outside of my vehicle, that's your problem, jackass.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2020, 06:53:54 PM »
Looks like the cop is telling her she has to stop and take the abuse from the rioters.  It really didn't appear he was there to "protect and serve".  I wonder if he had orders not to interfere with the rioters.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #99 on: July 26, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »
There has got to be someone somewhere working on a killdozer right now. When he goes all Marvin on these assclowns there will be great rejoicing.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?