Author Topic: Anyone who claims bad journalism never killed anyone is a liar...  (Read 1675 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
From Reuters...

Oops, sorry to all you dead and injured...

I wonder if we're going to hear a new chorus from the liberal whiners... "Newsweek Lied, People Died!"

Nah. Probably not.

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Newsweek magazine on Sunday said it erred in a May 9 report that said U.S. interrogators desecrated the Koran at Guantanamo Bay, and apologized to the victims of deadly Muslim protests sparked by the article.

"We regret that we got any part of our story wrong, and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst," Editor Mark Whitaker wrote in the magazine's latest issue, due to appear on U.S. newsstands on Monday.

Whitaker said the magazine inaccurately reported that U.S. military investigators had confirmed that personnel at the detention facility in Cuba had flushed the Koran down the toilet.

The report sparked angry and violent protests across the Muslim world from     Afghanistan, where 16 were killed and more than 100 injured, to Pakistan to Indonesia to Gaza. In the past week it was condemned in Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Malaysia and by the Arab League. On Sunday, Afghan Muslim clerics threatened to call for a holy war against the United States.

The weekly news magazine said in its May 23 edition that the information had come from a "knowledgeable government source" who told Newsweek that a military report on abuse at Guantanamo Bay said interrogators flushed at least one copy of the Koran down a toilet in a bid to make detainees talk.

But Newsweek said the source later told the magazine he could not be certain he had seen an account of the Koran incident in the military report and that it might have been in other investigative documents or drafts.

The acknowledgment by the magazine came amid a continuing heightened scrutiny of the U.S. media, which has seen a rash of news organizations fire reporters and admit that stories were fabricated or plagiarized.

The     Pentagon told the magazine the report was wrong last Friday, saying it had investigated earlier allegations of Koran desecration from detainees and found them "not credible."

The May 9 report, which appeared as a brief item by Michael Isikoff and John Barry in the magazine's "Periscope" section, had a huge international impact, sparking the protests from Muslims who consider the Koran the literal word of God and treat each book with deep reverence.

Desecration of the Koran is punishable by death in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

U.S. officials opened an investigation but maintained that members of the Guantanamo security force were sensitive to the religious beliefs and practices of the detainees in U.S. custody.

U.S. national security adviser     Stephen Hadley earlier on Sunday stressed the report had not been confirmed. "First of all, we don't know that it's true," Hadley said on CNN's "Late Edition."

"We've heard these reports before -- if it turns out to be true, obviously we will take action against those responsible," he said.

In January, British prisoners released from Guantanamo said guards threw their Korans into toilets and tried to force them to give up their faith. Human rights lawyer Tom Wilner, who represents several Kuwaiti prisoners at Guantanamo, said in February that his clients told him their Korans were thrown on the floor, stepped on and thrown into toilets at Guantanamo.

Newsweek's Whitaker said that when the magazine first heard of the Koran allegation from its source, staff approached two Defense Department officials. One declined to comment, while the other challenged a different aspect of the May 9 story but did not dispute the Koran charge.

The magazine said other news organizations had already aired charges of Koran desecration based "only on the testimony of detainees."

"We believed our story was newsworthy because a U.S. official said government investigators turned up this evidence. So we published the item," Whitaker said.

"Our original source later said he couldn't be certain about reading of the alleged Koran incident in the report we cited," he wrote."
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Dannyboy

• friend
Anyone who claims bad journalism never killed anyone is a liar...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 12:44:06 PM »
I wonder if they would have apologized if it were American troops being killed instead of Afghanis?  For some reason, I'm thinking no.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 06:57:13 PM »
Anybody who'd get murderously bent out of shape over a flushed religious bookactually flushed or merely flushed in some leftist extremist's imagionis obviously a follower of evil.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2005, 07:57:31 PM »
Newsweak quit being a credible news source to me over a decade ago. I haven't bought an issue since and I urge others to do the same.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2005, 08:13:56 PM »
"Anybody who'd get murderously bent out of shape over a flushed religious bookactually flushed or merely flushed in some leftist extremist's imagionis obviously a follower of evil."

Sort of puts the whole issue of flag desecration in a whole new light, don't you think?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Winston Smith

• friends
  • Cheaper than a locksmith
    • My Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2005, 08:28:47 PM »
Oh, Mike, do you see fatal riots stemming from flag abuses?

There's a reason the flag code does not codify any punishments. Free Speech even for those we don't agree with.

That's a poor comparison, methinks.
Jack
APS #22
I'm eighteen years old. I know everything and I'm invincible.
Right?

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:27:17 AM »
If I were the White House, I'd just yank Newsweek's press passes and credentials.  If you can't be responsible, you don't belong there (gay Republican prostitutes notwithstanding).
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Sean Smith

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2005, 05:34:58 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Sort of puts the whole issue of flag desecration in a whole new light, don't you think?
Given the lack of dead burners of the US flag, not so much.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 07:01:12 AM »
The comparison is getting worked up over a REPRESENTATIVE OBJECT, Winston.

The Koran represents something.

The flag represents something.

It's an absolutely parallel comparison in the contxt of Standing Wolf's statement.

That no one has been killed in pro-flag rallies in the United States is immaterial.

The point is that you need to think about what beliefs you hold dear, and to what lengths you would go to defend them, before you start condemning others out of hand.

But, let's hear it for those "followers of evil" in this country who have been killed or badly injured "celebrating" either the win, or loss, of their favorite sports team...

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 04:15:20 PM »
Nope.

A flag is cloth. A so-called "holy" book is paper and ink and glue. To be sure, they mean a great deal to people, but in civilized nations, we respect the right of others to express their feelings, however ludicrous and/or revolting they may be.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

armedcitizen

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 04:49:58 AM »
Newsweek should be shut down by the government as a threat to national security.  People will cry "censorship!" but hey, we're at war and that's the way the freakin' cookie crumbles.