Author Topic: USB BluRay Player?  (Read 504 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
USB BluRay Player?
« on: December 04, 2023, 07:05:52 PM »
My dear sweet 92 year old grandma told me she would really, REALLY like "one of those things you plug into your computer so you can play movies on it."

After some probing and comparing notes with other family members, we're fairly sure she means she wants a USB Bluray Player.

However it appears that obtaining such a thing is mired in technological warfare against piracy and getting one to actually work is a PITA.  Evidently most USB BluRay Players don't come with actual playback software, and appropriate codecs are not included in Windows... so you have to buy additional software?

I'm inquiring here to see if anyone in the hive mind has bought one recently, and if it came with playback software or not.  Failing that, has anyone bought stand-alone BluRay playback software for Windows and had good things to say about it?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!