Author Topic: Schools  (Read 3929 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Schools
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2020, 01:10:04 AM »
The think what has got me the most is the places not opening schools but are going to use the schools as daycare centers up to ten hours a day and have adults there to help the kids do their online classes. You mean like a school?

All the teachers unions crying they will all die if they open must be so much more important than the lady that rings me up at the grocery store every two weeks.

My wife's daycare is setting up "zoom rooms" for parents that have older kids and can't stay home while the kids are "distance-learning." So, instead of physically going to school with teachers, they're going to physically go to a different school with teachers.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2020, 02:16:22 AM »

My wife's daycare is setting up "zoom rooms" for parents that have older kids and can't stay home while the kids are "distance-learning." So, instead of physically going to school with teachers, they're going to physically go to a different school with teachers.

Welcome to clownworld.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2020, 08:11:59 AM »
My kids' school was one of the first in our state to shut down.  They've been back at school since last week.

Masks are required at all times except when eating or during "mask breaks" where the kid goes to an assigned spot separate from other kids.  Some things done outside the classroom have been restructured (for example, recess is segregated by class to isolate groups potentially exposed to infection).  Parents and volunteers are no longer allowed in the school past the office.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2020, 09:39:35 AM »
As difficult as this period may be, perhaps this is the time for parents to take back control of their children's educations from the Left-wing monster now razing our public schools.

What is this "monster" you speak of?  As a 31 year teaching veteran, and a mostly conservative Libertarian, I haven't experienced it in the public schools.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2020, 09:51:34 AM »
This is yet another of the evidence that the powers that be know this is a sham.

IF it's too dangerous to open the schools, daycares should also be shut down.

The fact that they are just turning the schools into daycares1 pretty much proves they know this disease isn't dangerous to children and that children generally aren't vectors for the disease, as every other country on earth has already shown.2

It's of a piece with the "ruling class" holding themselves to different standards for funerals and other "political" gatherings. It seems the ruling class is willing to sacrifice ANYTHING to stop the virus... anything, that is, that matters to the peons but nothing that matters to them.

That's telling.

1: well, aside from finally being honest about what their sole purpose is
2: this is hyperbole, but not by much
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 10:11:39 AM »
This is similar to what I mentioned above that people where my nephew in law lives are doing:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/08/02/life-finds-a-way-bay-area-angel-investor-is-hiring-a-teacher-for-his-backyard-micro-school/

An interesting aside is the mention of taxes. Why am I paying the full amount of taxes for closed schools? My insurance company reduced my rates because they figured I'm not driving as much due to the COVID. If schools are closed, even if they continue to pay teachers and operational staff, there must be a bunch of stuff they're not paying for during closure. Seems like a ten percent or so discount on property taxes (payment amount) would be fair. Perhaps more, since I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff not being done right now besides schools that my taxes pay for.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 10:17:27 AM »
What is this "monster" you speak of?  As a 31 year teaching veteran, and a mostly conservative Libertarian, I haven't experienced it in the public schools.

Yeah, sure, there are no problems.

Did you decide to take my comment as an attack on all teachers everywhere?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 10:35:38 AM »
This is similar to what I mentioned above that people where my nephew in law lives are doing:

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2020/08/02/life-finds-a-way-bay-area-angel-investor-is-hiring-a-teacher-for-his-backyard-micro-school/

An interesting aside is the mention of taxes. Why am I paying the full amount of taxes for closed schools? My insurance company reduced my rates because they figured I'm not driving as much due to the COVID. If schools are closed, even if they continue to pay teachers and operational staff, there must be a bunch of stuff they're not paying for during closure. Seems like a ten percent or so discount on property taxes (payment amount) would be fair. Perhaps more, since I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff not being done right now besides schools that my taxes pay for.

There's mixed reports of schools opening later here in AZ.  My son's charter elementary is opening on the 17th instead of August 4th.  All the "Red for Ed" people are out there getting hyperbolic with ridiculous TIKIWIKI signs predicting death and destruction if they go back to school without massive funding increases.  I've got libertarian friends up in Scottsdale with access to a spontaneous free market micro-school tutor environment.  Doesn't seem to be particularly available here in the Mesa area though.

All the teachers need to be very, very careful with their push for delayed starts and online curriculum though.  The wolf is showing through the sheepskin costume, and people are seeing it.  Teachers can't be "essential" if there's a State provided curriculum, no lecture/seminar, and student participation is online only.  There will be a massive teacher headcount cut, and probably a drastic reduction in onsite attendance at High Schools when things do return to normal.  Those massive quasi-prison institutional buildings mislabeled as "schools" will be at half capacity.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Pb

• friend
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 10:37:11 AM »
At my local college most (but not all) of the professors are convinced that opening up campus in the fall is going to be a disaster.

They are convinced (and are planning for) making it online only again.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/thecjpearson/status/1286101415241318401

Keeping colleges closed this fall is far more likely to stop the spread of communism than it is to stop the spread of COVID.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2020, 12:52:31 PM »

You must be located in fly-over country.

Teachers and administrators in my corner of the world are all squarely in the indoctrination camp mode.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2020, 03:13:38 PM »
Edna ISD students head back to class for face-to-face and remote learning
https://www.khou.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/edna-isd-heads-back-to-class-for-face-to-face-and-remote-learning/285-0b073625-5253-4ded-98b4-18ebee045eb2

“I don’t know that October corona season is going to be any different than August corona season," O'Connor said.

Edna, TX is a farming community hours from major cities.  Not too far from Shiner, TX I think.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 03:34:43 PM »
I teach an evening course at my local community college.

We're being told that any classes which can fully go online will, and any that have in-person labs will be hybrid classes.  Online classroom portion, labs in person.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 03:47:16 PM »
Yeah, sure, there are no problems.

Did you decide to take my comment as an attack on all teachers everywhere?

No I didn't.  Apologize if I made it seem so.  Rather I think the liberal thinking comes from colleges and universities, not in elementary or secondary schools.

Yes there are problems, and funding is a big part of it.  I think another is the needlessly long summer breaks.  I would love to go year-round school.  Lets go 11 weeks with a 1 week Fall break.  Then another with two weeks off for a winter break.  11 more weeks with a one week spring break.  11 more weeks with 4 weeks of summer.  Allows almost 25 percent more learning time but still has breaks for family travel and togetherness. 

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 04:02:51 PM »
No I didn't.  Apologize if I made it seem so.  Rather I think the liberal thinking comes from colleges and universities, not in elementary or secondary schools.

Yes there are problems, and funding is a big part of it.  I think another is the needlessly long summer breaks.  I would love to go year-round school.  Lets go 11 weeks with a 1 week Fall break.  Then another with two weeks off for a winter break.  11 more weeks with a one week spring break.  11 more weeks with 4 weeks of summer.  Allows almost 25 percent more learning time but still has breaks for family travel and togetherness. 

The first hand experience of my daughter, the elementary school teacher, tends to be at odds with your experience.
Being that she is in a large metro school district may have something to do with that.

As to your year round schedule, what may work for metro and suburban school districts may not work in rural and small town schools where a large percentage of the students still come from family farms and work those family farms during the summer.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 04:27:36 PM »
Rather I think the liberal thinking comes from colleges and universities, not in elementary or secondary schools.
It may be worse in colleges and universities, but I definitely see leftist values pushed in my kids' elementary and we live in a relatively conservative suburb.  It certainly varies some from teacher to teacher, but the general ideology that is communicated to the kids is that of the left.

Yes there are problems, and funding is a big part of it.
The best funded school districts in my state have hands down the worst performance.  

I'm not saying that you wouldn't enjoy or don't deserve a pay raise, or that you couldn't do more with better facilities or equipment, or that kids wouldn't enjoy bigger gyms or fancier football fields, but the actual educational performance of schools is largely independent of funding - whether spent on instruction or support.  I believe it has far more to do with community culture.  Schools with large populations of students whose families do not put an emphasis on respectful behavior and education (in that order) suck no matter how much money we throw at them.  Schools with large populations of students whose families value discipline and education do remarkably well on a shoestring. 

I think another is the needlessly long summer breaks. 
Our school has a year round calendar.  It's fine, but I don't think it significantly impacts academic performance.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 04:38:40 PM »
Our school has a year round calendar.  It's fine, but I don't think it significantly impacts academic performance.

But do you still have 36 weeks of school as most year rounds do?  Many year rounds just spread the breaks.  My proposal has 44 weeks of instruction

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »
TIKIWIKI???
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 09:28:30 PM »
But do you still have 36 weeks of school as most year rounds do?  Many year rounds just spread the breaks.  My proposal has 44 weeks of instruction

Man,  teenage me would've hated you.

Summer was an institution.  As teen I had a job every summer along with doing farm stuff.  Year round school would've wrecked that.
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2020, 09:50:45 PM »

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2020, 10:14:07 PM »
We have pre k to 12 in one school here it will be interesting how they handle no parents in the school since all pre k and k kids need to be taken to class by an adult.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 10:43:27 AM »
TIKIWIKI???

TEOTWAWKI

The End Of The World As We Know It.

When mocked, typically referred to as TIKIWIKI.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »

Summer was an institution.  As teen I had a job every summer along with doing farm stuff.  Year round school would've wrecked that.

I'm used the hate!  Embrace it--feel the power of the Dark Side

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 11:05:31 AM »
I'm kind of amazed that TIKIWIKI isn't in Urban Dictionary.  I created an account there and added it, but it has to go through peer voting to be added for public view.

Search it here on APS.  Used by MillCreek, Charby and others quite frequently.
--Lysander Spooner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 11:08:46 AM »

Can't have teenagers learning about things like a good work ethic, being self sufficient or other things that decrease the mindset of dependance on the government. Indoctrination works better when it is constantly reinforced.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams