Author Topic: Schools  (Read 3925 times)

Jim147

• friends
Schools
« on: July 31, 2020, 11:48:48 PM »
I put this in politics due to some states doing a complete political agenda on opening.

Our school opens 08-31-2020. The earliest it ever has.

What is your area doing?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: Schools
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 01:01:26 AM »
Still September 15th here.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 05:30:39 AM »
We start Tuesday, as do most AZ schools

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 07:37:44 AM »
Sept 3rd, last I heard.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:24:14 AM »
No kids, no clue, no cares.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 08:27:16 AM »
I'm told that staff and teachers went back yesterday,  and students will have their first day on Aug 24.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 08:41:23 AM »
My grand niece starts in 20AUG in the LA metro area. That district is still unsure of what they're doing for remote vs in-person. My nephew in law told me a bunch of parents, including him, have formed "mini-schools" in which they will hire teachers themselves to tutor smaller groups of their kids in-person at homes or wherever  if the schools don't go back to in-person.

Apparently a big problem there has been that the schools have been doing virtual classrooms that entail sending the kids a bunch of homework but not providing teacher resources to help them, and the parents, without any guidance as to what the school wants, have no idea how to help their kids with their lessons.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 08:48:05 AM »
My daughter is a teacher in a large metro school district here in Oklahoma. They go back either next week or the week after. So far they have not finalized just how they are going to do it as to in person, virtual and/or a combination there of.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2020, 09:50:20 AM »
A younger friend across town told me the [public] school his daughter is in is going to open, but instead of classrooms they are going to put all the kids in the gymnasium. The floor will be taped off into boxes, and each kid will not be allowed to leave his/her assigned box except at recess. Masks will be mandatory, and there will be mask and box police monitors patrolling the gymnasium and the playground.

I'm having difficulty imagining a more dystopian image of "school."
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2020, 10:12:17 AM »
That is quite a bit more dystopian and dysfunctional than anything I've heard about here.

Our local school district made virtual school available for any parent that wanted it, and is moving desks 6 feet apart in the classrooms for kids that are going to school.  According to their plan masks will be mandatory  "when social distancing is not possible " so I guess moving between classes and lunch/recess?

We might actually get the smaller class sizes everyone has wanted for so long.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2020, 10:34:52 AM »
Combo of in person and online classes

The teachers are busy putting themselves up on crosses decrying how dangerous it is🙄
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2020, 10:53:22 AM »
Combo of in person and online classes

The teachers are busy putting themselves up on crosses decrying how dangerous it is🙄

Yeah, this recent, "We're making out our wills" stuff is just stupid. Why haven't you already done this pre-virus if you care about your families, dummies?
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2020, 11:01:01 AM »
School district just decided to go online only to start,, and will reevaluate as they go. Teachers are a mix of "we'll die if we go back" and "open it up so I can be back with my studebts."  Both of my sons are college students.  Oldest attends Miami University in Ohio.  They are going online knky to at least Sept. 21, no students allowed on campus.   Youngest is a new student at University of Cincinnati,  and he moves into his dorm on August 16.  A week of band camp (he's a marching band nerd), with classes starting a week later.  Will be a mix of online and in person.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

JN01

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2020, 11:23:14 AM »
A younger friend across town told me the [public] school his daughter is in is going to open, but instead of classrooms they are going to put all the kids in the gymnasium. The floor will be taped off into boxes, and each kid will not be allowed to leave his/her assigned box except at recess. Masks will be mandatory, and there will be mask and box police monitors patrolling the gymnasium and the playground.

I'm having difficulty imagining a more dystopian image of "school."

It will prepare them for a career as a cubicle drone.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2020, 12:07:23 PM »
It will prepare them for a career as a cubicle drone.

That's what he's afraid of.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2020, 12:09:36 PM »
Since many parts of Washington are considered hot spots right now, in the majority of the urban counties in Western Washington, the county health officer has recommended remote instruction only to start, and the schools are following suit.  My wife's district is continuing the remote instruction they started back in March.  My wife is not happy with this insofar as she believes that face to face, especially with elementary school students, is important for engagement, support and being able to figure out problems with the kids and how to solve them.  This is all much more difficult over Zoom. A lot of the local colleges and universities are also starting with remote instruction.

PS: My wife's district also has a school bond levy up this fall, and the general consensus now with the schools not opening, there is no way in heck the levy will pass.

PPS: On the local FB pages, I am amused to see the wailing and gnashing of teeth from some teachers about imminent death if school were to open; my colleagues and I go to work every day to take care of sick people.  Although admittedly you will see a lot of the same wailing and gnashing of teeth from the healthcare staff, too.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2020, 03:14:27 PM »

I saw this *expletive deleted*ing bullshit posted today by a far leftie I know. They seem to have forgotten it was them who have long pushed for schools to take the role of parents...plus no school system in this country is underfunded by a cent. Administrations sucking up that money before it gets to the classroom? Yes, lots of that going on. But throwing more money at that will only enrichen those already profiting off the system, not make it better for the students and teachers
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2020, 07:15:48 PM »
Exactly how much money is all that going to take?  Can they answer that?  I think whatever answer anyone else comes up with will never been enough.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2020, 07:32:57 PM »
Well, Arizona is consistantly at the @$$ end of school funding for quite a while.  We have a rotation with Arkansas and Mississippi for last place.  2008 was the high dollar mark for funding in the last 12 years--that figure is NOT adjusted for inflation either. 

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2020, 07:43:33 PM »
^^Why do you think that is for Arizona?  Is it all the retirees without children that don't want to pay for schools?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Big Hairy Bee

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »
^^Why do you think that is for Arizona?  Is it all the retirees without children that don't want to pay for schools?

Yup

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2020, 09:45:19 PM »
As difficult as this period may be, perhaps this is the time for parents to take back control of their children's educations from the Left-wing monster now razing our public schools.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Andiron

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
As difficult as this period may be, perhaps this is the time for parents to take back control of their children's educations from the Left-wing monster now razing our public schools.

De funding random institutions is popular these days...
"Leftism destroys everything good." -  Ron

There is no fixing stupid. But, you can line it up in front of a wall and offer it a last smoke.

There is no such thing as a "transgender" person.  Only mental illness that should be discouraged.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2020, 10:59:24 PM »
I've seen some articles talking about how this will leave certain kids at a disadvantage as some schools open and others don't. Wonder how long until the left starts really using this.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2020, 01:04:31 AM »
The think what has got me the most is the places not opening schools but are going to use the schools as daycare centers up to ten hours a day and have adults there to help the kids do their online classes. You mean like a school?

All the teachers unions crying they will all die if they open must be so much more important than the lady that rings me up at the grocery store every two weeks.
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG