Author Topic: Have you heard Cannon Hinnant's name?  (Read 2415 times)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
Have you heard Cannon Hinnant's name?
« on: August 14, 2020, 01:27:31 AM »
I sure hadn't.

We know all about George Floyd and Mike Brown and Trayvon Martin because the media kept/keeps them in the news constantly.

But hardly anything about this innocent five year old.

I wonder why.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

dogmush

• friend
Re: Have you heard Cannon Hinnant's name?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 07:05:15 AM »
1. Yes I had, about the beginning of the week it rolled throughmy news feed.

2. Other then the "Oh that's sad" factor, why would this be national news?  It's a tragic murder, but they know who did it, they arrested him, and he's been charged. As far as I know there is not even a speculated motive. What story would you like to see on it?

Personally,  my Facebook feed seems like the "alternative" media has latched on to this with a racial narrative (they don't care about white kids) that isn't evident. It's not like you know the name of the black girl killed at the protest in Atlanta either.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 08:35:38 AM »
2. Other then the "Oh that's sad" factor, why would this be national news?  It's a tragic murder, but they know who did it, they arrested him, and he's been charged. As far as I know there is not even a speculated motive. What story would you like to see on it?

Personally,  my Facebook feed seems like the "alternative" media has latched on to this with a racial narrative (they don't care about white kids) that isn't evident. It's not like you know the name of the black girl killed at the protest in Atlanta either.

The broad daylight, cold-blooded murder of a 5 year old isn't worthy of national news?

This wasn't like the ones in Atlanta, or Chicago, or the like. The child wasn't accidentally shot by gang-bangers trying to shoot other gang-bangers.1 (Which are also very bad, I should note, but a much more common crime, sadly.)

This was cold-blooded execution style murder of a FIVE YEAR OLD. In front of multiple witnesses in broad daylight. That seems to have a significant news "hook."

But because the... typesdeletes... typesdeletes... murderer was black and his victim white, it's going to be completely embargoed by the national media because it not only doesn't support their narrative, it lends support to a "wrong" narrative.

1: Yes, I know Atlanta was BLM shooting people for having the audacity to.... drive near their roadblock. It was still a matter of murdering the children while shooting at the adults. Which, from the mouths of BLM supporters themselves I have learned isn't all that bad because it wasn't like they were TRYING to kill the little girl.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
  • Writing for the Bulwark since August 2019
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 08:44:14 AM »
Yup, saw the name & photo yesterday and today on social media and now again here. Sad stuff.
I wonder if his family is onboard with using his death to push a narrative.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 08:58:16 AM »
I'm a little surprised we haven't seen a full on press for gun control coming from the usual suspects during all this crap. Because of this event and other recent shootings actually related to the actions of the insurrectionists.

As for Cannon Hinnant. This is a terrible tragedy, of that there is no debate. However I do not think there is any meaningful racial component to the killing. My opinion is that the killer is "batshit crazy" and the color of his or his victims skin is irrelevant.
The relevant issues that will likely not come to light or be discussed is the mental status of the killer, his use, if any, of illegal drugs, his use, if any, of prescribed psychotropic medications and his criminal record, if any, and his status as to being legally ably to posses a firearm.

Trying to make this one into a race based murder doesn't work for me.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 09:04:30 AM »
I'm a little surprised we haven't seen a full on press for gun control coming from the usual suspects during all this crap. Because of this event and other recent shootings actually related to the actions of the insurrectionists.

As for Cannon Hinnant. This is a terrible tragedy, of that there is no debate. However I do not think there is any meaningful racial component to the killing. My opinion is that the killer is "batshit crazy" and the color of his or his victims skin is irrelevant.
The relevant issues that will likely not come to light or be discussed is the mental status of the killer, his use, if any, of illegal drugs, his use, if any, of prescribed psychotropic medications and his criminal record, if any, and his status as to being legally ably to posses a firearm.

Trying to make this one into a race based murder doesn't work for me.

Yeah, I would need more info. From the story, it appears there was a relationship between the boy's father and the murderer, given the murderer was at the boy's home in the days before the murder. This might just be one of those crazy neighbor things.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 09:07:10 AM »
The broad daylight, cold-blooded murder of a 5 year old isn't worthy of national news?

Not really?  I mean, sure I can see the story getting a run across the wires, but sustained news coverage?  Sadly, children are murdered daily, and it's not national news.  It's tragic, and but it doesn't hit everyone's front page.

I also don't see a racial motive here, either for the murder, or the coverage.  My money is on drugs, crazy, or drugged and crazy for the murder.  Again, it's tragic, and my heart goes out to the boy's family. That had to have been horrible for his father.  But I don't see a conspiracy here.

I would also suspect that his family neither needs nor wants his death and it's coverage dragged through the Matt Walsh hype machine.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 10:25:31 AM »
Not really?  I mean, sure I can see the story getting a run across the wires, but sustained news coverage?  Sadly, children are murdered daily, and it's not national news.  It's tragic, and but it doesn't hit everyone's front page.

I also don't see a racial motive here, either for the murder, or the coverage.  My money is on drugs, crazy, or drugged and crazy for the murder.  Again, it's tragic, and my heart goes out to the boy's family. That had to have been horrible for his father.  But I don't see a conspiracy here.

I would also suspect that his family neither needs nor wants his death and it's coverage dragged through the Matt Walsh hype machine.

You don't think the constant racist drumbeat that white people are evil and deserve to be killed doesn't affect crazy people?

Yes, he is likely crazy, but that doesn't mean he didn't think this little white boy deserved to die simply for being white.

FURTHER, do you think the left would have done the LEAST bit of circumspection and mitigation of motive had the races been reversed?

This is a perfect example of their rank hypocrisy and it's worth pointing out how evil our enemies are that they think a murdered 5 year old is sad, but a worthy price to pay for getting what they want.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 11:03:36 AM »
that doesn't mean he didn't think this little white boy deserved to die simply for being white.
Did you just pull this theory out of your backside, or is it actually based on something?
it's worth pointing out how evil our enemies are that they think a murdered 5 year old is sad, but a worthy price to pay for getting what they want.
huh? Who is "the enemy" in this and how do you know they think that? I'm not sure how any blame can be spread past the guy who pulled the trigger.

Agreed. Never waste a tragedy doesn't just apply to the left.
In the moral, catatonic stupor America finds itself in today it is only disagreement we seek, and the more virulent that disagreement, the better.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:57 AM »
Did you just pull this theory out of your backside, or is it actually based on something?huh? (1)

Who is "the enemy" in this and how do you know they think that? I'm not sure how any blame can be spread past the guy who pulled the trigger.(2)

Agreed. Never waste a tragedy doesn't just apply to the left. (3)

(1) I've got far more backing for this theory than for most "hate crimes" in that a crime actually occurred.

(2) The enemy is the people who want me and people like me dead. And who have said so repeatedly. That seems to me to be a good definition of "the enemy."

(3) In this case, it's an opportunity for highlighting the absolute hypocrisy of the left. "If it bleeds, it leads" is not the cause of the sensationalism but rather "All the news that fits, we print" is the modus operandi. This is clearly a case that could inflame racial tensions, but UNLIKE ones that would make black people angry at white people, this one would operate in reverse. Thus, the media had ensured that there will be no mention of a five year old murdered in cold blood with a gun to his head on a public street.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 11:46:33 AM »
This case would only "inflate racial tensions" in folks who are already racist, and looking for a race card to play.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »
So how many know LeGend Taliferro's name?

How much press and calls for gun control after the largest mass shooting of the year so far?
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2020, 11:52:20 AM »
I think the left is being quiet on gun control in large part because they don't want it to be a front and center issue during the election cycle.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
So how many know LeGend Taliferro's name?

How much press and calls for gun control after the largest mass shooting of the year so far?

I know his too. Because those children being murdered simply for being in the way of gang violence matter, too. I am angry about ALL the murders of children. My point is that the left seems to have a very selective outrage about murders and this case simply illustrates it even better.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2020, 11:57:18 AM »
I know his too. Because those children being murdered simply for being in the way of gang violence matter, too. I am angry about ALL the murders of children. My point is that the left seems to have a very selective outrage about murders and this case simply illustrates it even better.

I mean, if it’s not a black felon with a mile long rap sheet that got yeeted by the popo it ain’t newsworthy nor riot worthy ya know
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

DittoHead

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2020, 12:11:12 PM »
(3) In this case, it's an opportunity for highlighting the absolute hypocrisy of the left.
Yes, how could I have missed what an opportunity this is?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2020, 12:27:01 PM »
Yes, how could I have missed what an opportunity this is?

I will not be cowed into disarming before people who want me dead, so mock all you like.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2020, 12:48:54 PM »
Yup, saw the name & photo yesterday and today on social media and now again here. Sad stuff.
I wonder if his family is onboard with using his death to push a narrative.

:rofl: 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2020, 01:29:22 PM »
The point is that if this was racially reversed we would have heard all manner of things about the killer's background and his ties to various unsavory groups, his weird Facebook and other SM postings.

They'd be all over this to condemn both whites and gun owners. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
Given how much extreme rhetoric is floating around these days on black/white racial issues, I can easily see a crazy/unhinged person taking that idea and running with it.  Crazy/unhinged people don't always think logically.

That said, we really don't know enough information. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2020, 03:31:10 PM »
The point is that if this was racially reversed we would have heard all manner of things about the killer's background and his ties to various unsavory groups, his weird Facebook and other SM postings.

Had the batshit crazy shooter been white and the victim black I suspect much of the neighborhood would be little more than a smoking pile of rubble.

Samuel Adams

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2020, 04:28:36 PM »

We actually keep track of things like that, so lets inject some numbers in here.

According to the 2018 US Criminal Victimization report from 2018 (The most recent published) There were 563,940 "violent incidents" where the victim was black.  Of those in 10.6% of them, the offender was white.  So 5977 Blacks victimized by whites.  The 2018 total Violent crime rate was 382.9/100,000 and murder was 5.3/100,000 so murder is 1.38% of all violent crime.  To make life simple we are going to call that 1.5% and assume that it holds +/- steady across races.

If we do that we can assume that 1.5% of those 5977 victimizations by racist whites were murder.  which is [abacus sounds] 89.6.  Call it 90 ish.  one every 3 or 4 days.  The media has the chance to push this narritive that you think they are twice a week.  Go ahead and name all 90 black people killed by whites in 2018 from the voluminous news coverage.

Sure, this one is more tragic because the victim is a kid, and it appears to be one of those truly random attacks that hit american's psyches pretty hard because there's no way to reassure yourself you aren't next.

But there's no evidence of a racial bias either in the reporting or racial motive (yet) in the attack.  Trying to make one is, ironically, actually doing what you are accusing the news of doing.

If you have evidence beyond vague "I know it would be different if the races were reversed" by all means, share it as I'd like to see it.  But I have 90(ish) deaths per year that say the news media doesn't run with, and neighborhoods don't burn, for every incident of white on black murder.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2020, 05:06:13 PM »
All that above said,

I have started seeing some truly despicable posts scrolling by on FB about the kid deserving it because he is white, so there are at least some extremists on the other side as well.  It seems like some folks are going to make things about race no matter what.

It does warm my black little heart that those folks on my feed are there because they've been doxxed.  Not at all against doxxing someone that posts a 5YO deserves to die just for being white. 

just Warren

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2020, 06:08:37 PM »
Can we break that 90 number down?

How many of these killings were criminal-on-criminal? Because no one cares about that.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes