Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 2107 times)

Cliffh

• friend
Re: Firefox
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2020, 09:09:43 PM »
Dell laptop w/8gb RAM, using Firefox w/115 open tabs (some Utube), Edge w/6 open tabs, T-bird, Libre Office w/2 spreadsheets, and 1 WordPad doc open.  Also have McAfee running.

This is my normal usage.  Lots of surfing, write some docs, print a few things.  I'll put it to "sleep" at night by closing the lid.  Might reboot the laptop every couple of weeks or 3, unless an upgrade to something drops.

Haven't noticed any memory problems.

There are only 2 reasons I use Edge: 1) work website doesn't like Firefox; 2) .pdf's display & print better from it than Firefox.

BTW: If using FF go to Options --> Privacy & Security
Scroll down to Firefox Data Collection and Use
Turn that crap off, particularly Allow Firefox To Install And Run Studies 

Thanks!

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 01:46:04 PM »
Dell laptop w/8gb RAM, using Firefox w/115 open tabs (some Utube), Edge w/6 open tabs, T-bird, Libre Office w/2 spreadsheets, and 1 WordPad doc open.  Also have McAfee running.

This is my normal usage.  Lots of surfing, write some docs, print a few things.  I'll put it to "sleep" at night by closing the lid.  Might reboot the laptop every couple of weeks or 3, unless an upgrade to something drops.

Haven't noticed any memory problems.

There are only 2 reasons I use Edge: 1) work website doesn't like Firefox; 2) .pdf's display & print better from it than Firefox.

Thanks!

Not really a problem if you have plenty of RAM, I have 16gb on my desktop, just shows that FF is a bit sloppy in comparison to Edge when it comes to memory management. Could be an issue though on low memory systems such as those with 4gb
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 01:51:49 PM »
Not really a problem if you have plenty of RAM, I have 16gb on my desktop, just shows that FF is a bit sloppy in comparison to Edge when it comes to memory management. Could be an issue though on low memory systems such as those with 4gb

Yeah,  I would not run "new and improved for better memory management" Firefox any any older computer, or even anything with less than 16MB RAM. Having plenty of RAM is the only reason I haven't moved my ass off Firefox yet, but I need to do so soon, not just because of the memory issues, but because they have become such SJW commies.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2020, 05:54:19 PM »
Yeah,  I would not run "new and improved for better memory management" Firefox any any older computer, or even anything with less than 16MB RAM. Having plenty of RAM is the only reason I haven't moved my ass off Firefox yet, but I need to do so soon, not just because of the memory issues, but because they have become such SJW commies.

How so?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2020, 06:09:30 PM »
How so?

On one of my computers, I leave the Firefox default homepage on. It's full of social justice/it takes a village/ commie crap. Plus as I mentioned in the OP, Google has it's hand in Firefox now.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2020, 07:10:50 PM »
How so?

Sacked their old CEO, caving to the mob over his giving some of his own money to a CA defense of marriage effort.

And the articles offered on the default home page ("recommended by Pocket"), the things they think I should be looking at,  are annoying.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2020, 07:17:10 PM »
Sacked their old CEO, caving to the mob over his giving some of his own money to a CA defense of marriage effort.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. They have become a "diversity as long as we approve of it" company. They've strayed a long way from the "live and let live" days of the early internet and Netscape.