Author Topic: Covid masks in freezing weather?  (Read 2288 times)

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Covid masks in freezing weather?
« on: August 21, 2020, 12:00:09 AM »
Anyone know how these paper masks are going to work or not work in freezing weather?

Seems to me that might be a problem but I haven't seen any discussion on it.  So maybe it isn't.

???

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:50:18 AM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Covid masks in freeqzing weather?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 12:58:34 AM »
You mean because your mask will ice over?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
Re: Covid masks in freezing weather?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 07:53:03 AM »
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, but don't know if anyone has dealt with that question.

Thanks for the heads up on the heading typo, fistful.

griz

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 08:23:45 AM »
I've used a scarf before in freezing weather.  Apparently I breath a lot since the scarf, and these darn masks, get wet quick.  The scarf does freeze us, as does my beard, but can be rotated around.  The masks, especially the paper ones, don't seem likely to hold up so well.  But I don't do crowds outside so it's not going to be a problem for me.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

fifth_column

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 08:26:13 AM »
The really cold weather around here doesn't occur until after the election.  So your question is a moot point . . . .
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will... The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress. ― Frederick Douglass

No American citizen should be willing to accept a government that uses its power against its own people.  -  Catherine Engelbrecht

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 08:49:37 AM »
The really cold weather around here doesn't occur until after the election.  So your question is a moot point . . . .

=D

On the OP, I suppose the mask could freeze up, resulting in your breath mostly exhausting through the edges of the mask versus the filter surface. I wore a neck gaiter/balaclava occasionally last Winter (my first Idaho Winter) and had no problems even on single digit days. Though I recently read that testing showed face coverings like neck gaiters are ineffective. Then again, 90% of face coverings are ineffective given the way I've seen 90% of the population wearing them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 09:03:34 AM »
I've used a scarf before in freezing weather.  Apparently I breath a lot since the scarf, and these darn masks, get wet quick.  The scarf does freeze up, as does my beard, but can be rotated around.  The masks, especially the paper ones, don't seem likely to hold up so well.  But I don't do crowds outside so it's not going to be a problem for me.

Well, that's what I'm curious about, and if it might be a problem, is anyone pursuing a solution?

I have a ski mask with a breathing port with "regenerative  heating" for incoming air (inhalation) by capturing the heat of previously exhaled air.  It entails a kind of copper screen to do the regeneration, but it would not be considered a germ filter as it is presently set up.

Another possible option is I noticed a couple of masks in the grocery store with built-in check valves.  Closing on either inhalation or exhalation would seem to help with this possible problem, but yes or no?

Anyhow, I'm kicking it around in my own mind, but wondered if anyone else has addressed the problem, if there really is one.

Be prepared.

POSTED before seeing Ben's remarks.  That breathing through the edges of a solidly frozen mask occurred to me, too, but it still would be somewhat effective in blocking outoing germ clouds --somewhat like face shields.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 09:07:03 AM »

Another possible option is I noticed a couple of masks in the grocery store with built-in check valves.  Closing on either inhalation or exhalation would seem to help with this possible problem, but yes or no?

Masks with valves are banned in many places. They don't filter exhaust, thus only protecting the wearer.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 09:10:50 AM »
^ An interesting additional consideration, thanks.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 09:43:53 AM »
Masks with exhalation valves are on the 'no-go' list at most healthcare facilities.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

ConstitutionCowboy

• friend
  • My Gender and Pronouns are Standard.
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 10:28:42 AM »
I guess it depends on if the Covid is frost proof. You might not need a mask in freezing weather. You'll just have a little Covid snow storm to deal with.

Woody
   "Knowing the past, I'll not surrender any arms and march less prepared into the future."   B.E.Wood

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 11:58:54 AM »
Then again, 90% of face coverings are ineffective given the way I've seen 90% of the population wearing them.

Like hanging under the chin -- or off one ear?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 12:11:22 PM »
Like hanging under the chin -- or off one ear?

Without resorting to my previous exaggerated numbers, fully 25% of people I see have their nose exposed. Another ~10% wear a bandana like a cowboy movie train robber.

I suspect the bandana wearers are anti-mask people doing the bear minimum allowed so they can shop somewhere or whatever.

On a further tangent, my first sit down breakfast out since this all started was a couple of days ago. Masks required at the diner. Until you sit down. It's just kinda funny to me that you wear your mask for 30 seconds from the entry door to your table when they seat you, then take your mask off for an hour to eat, then put it back on for the 15 second walk out the door.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 01:11:27 PM »
Who cares if your mask freezes and your get frostbitten lips...

You'll have done so for your fellow man! You'll be a hero!
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2020, 02:09:11 PM »
Without resorting to my previous exaggerated numbers, fully 25% of people I see have their nose exposed. Another ~10% wear a bandana like a cowboy movie train robber.

I suspect the bandana wearers are anti-mask people doing the bare minimum allowed so they can shop somewhere or whatever.

On a further tangent, my first sit down breakfast out since this all started was a couple of days ago. Masks required at the diner. Until you sit down. It's just kinda funny to me that you wear your mask for 30 seconds from the entry door to your table when they seat you, then take your mask off for an hour to eat, then put it back on for the 15 second walk out the door.

Just a matter of playing the probabilities, I guess.  Sort of like zig-zagging when under fire instead of running straight... "every little bit helps," in a sense.

But back on topic, I guess it's agreed that it could be a problem.   Any serious suggestions as to how to avoid it assuming masks will still be necessary next (or any) winter?

Blue-skying it, I briefly thought of battery-warmed masks like battery-heated hunting socks to avoid the condensation in the first place.  Hey,  blue sky.  I thought of this once while wearing my "regenerative heating" ski mask and it started to freeze up anyhow.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 02:40:28 PM by 230RN »

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2020, 02:38:43 PM »
Cloth masks, washed with reasonable frequency.  Only wear them outside in freezing temperatures if you can't keep your distance from people.  Don't go to events where you can't keep your distance from people.

Reasonably simple.

When I was dogmushing frequently I almost always wore a face covering on the trail (it's not just their secret tales that will make your blood run cold ;) ).  One or two layers of polartech worn as a neck and lower face covering.  Sometimes for 10-12 hours.  They get wet, they freeze, they still work OK.  You dry them out and wash them when you go back inside.  If I was making a multiple day camping trip in sub-zero weather I might back an extra neck warmer as well as glove and boot liners so I could swap out for dry ones every 24 hours or so. 

This is not rocket surgery.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2020, 02:51:12 PM »
"They get wet, they freeze, they still work OK.  You dry them out and wash them when you go back inside."

One neat trick when it's really cold out and whatever you have is frozen, you can beat it against a tree or on the ground and knock a considerable amount of ice out of it. Used to do that with wet socks and the like at scout winter camps.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2020, 02:52:14 PM »
^,^ Hearing from an actual sled dog "driver" was actually helpful, so thanks, dogmush.

But that application is not intended as a germ blocker so I'm not challenging you, but I wonder about its relevance to the Covid 19 problem.  Any comments on that aspect, dogmush?  Seriously, I'm not being a jerk, but need further info.

Terry, 230RN

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »
I know what you're asking, but personally I can't see a frosted over mask affecting its ability/inability to block the Kung Flu.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
^,^ Hearing from an actual sled dog "driver" was actually helpful, so thanks, dogmush.

But that application is not intended as a germ blocker so I'm not challenging you, but I wonder about its relevance to the Covid 19 problem.  Any comments on that aspect, dogmush?  Seriously, I'm not being a jerk, but need further info.

Terry, 230RN

I rarely got a face covering so frosted up that it was a solid block of ice.  It can happen, but it takes very cold weather for an extended timeframe.  Much more common was a layer of frost* on the outside as your breath condensed and froze in the cold air.  You would still be breathing through the mask so I would expect it's relative effectiveness at holding in water droplets in your breath to be pretty much the same.  The inside of my masks is routinely damp, both then and now, so there is definitely some droplet retention.

If you are leaving a mask in a car (so as to not forget it at home or something) I would be concerned about damp masks freezing overnight.  I would be sure to bring them in and dry them out.

Honestly your bigger problem is going to be your eyelashes.  No joke.  Wearing something over your face directs more breath up and it escapes between your nose and cheeks and flows in front of your eyes.  In addition to fogging your glasses, about 5 (ish) F the moisture will condense and frost on your eyelashes, and once the crystals get big enough they will freeze together when you blink holding your eyes shut.  I can't tell you how many time I was cruising along on a dogsled or snow machine and blinked, only to find one eye glued shut until I could get a hand up there and melt my eyelashes.  Way bigger problem then my face covering freezing.

*This happens on fur parka ruffs as well.  You will often see in pictures the fur alongside the lower part of the person's face to be a little frosty.  This is not from snow fall or windblown stuff, but frozen breath.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »
about 5 (ish) F the moisture will condense and frost on your eyelashes, and once the crystals get big enough they will freeze together when you blink holding your eyes shut.  I can't tell you how many time I was cruising along on a dogsled or snow machine and blinked, only to find one eye glued shut until I could get a hand up there and melt my eyelashes.  Way bigger problem then my face covering freezing.

I knew a girl who grew up I forget exactly where, on the Canadian Prairie. She said that "eyelids freezing shut" thing was the worst and happened to her all the time walking to school.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
I'd forgotten about that special feeling when your eyes freeze shut...

Only happened to me a couple of times, but every time it was disconcerting as hell.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 01:28:38 AM »
I rarely got a face covering so frosted up that it was a solid block of ice.  It can happen, but it takes very cold weather for an extended timeframe.  Much more common was a layer of frost* on the outside as your breath condensed and froze in the cold air.  You would still be breathing through the mask so I would expect it's relative effectiveness at holding in water droplets in your breath to be pretty much the same.  The inside of my masks is routinely damp, both then and now, so there is definitely some droplet retention.

If you are leaving a mask in a car (so as to not forget it at home or something) I would be concerned about damp masks freezing overnight.  I would be sure to bring them in and dry them out.

Honestly your bigger problem is going to be your eyelashes.  No joke.  Wearing something over your face directs more breath up and it escapes between your nose and cheeks and flows in front of your eyes.  In addition to fogging your glasses, about 5 (ish) F the moisture will condense and frost on your eyelashes, and once the crystals get big enough they will freeze together when you blink holding your eyes shut.  I can't tell you how many time I was cruising along on a dogsled or snow machine and blinked, only to find one eye glued shut until I could get a hand up there and melt my eyelashes.  Way bigger problem then my face covering freezing.

*This happens on fur parka ruffs as well.  You will often see in pictures the fur alongside the lower part of the person's face to be a little frosty.  This is not from snow fall or windblown stuff, but frozen breath.

You do dogsled races?
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 08:03:02 AM »
You do dogsled races?

I did.  I grew up in Alaska, and had a dog team while there, before I joined the army.  Raced from 8 years old (3 dog sprints) till I was 19 and left.  Sprint races every year through 7 dog, 3 Jr. Iditarods,  Knik 200 twice, a Copper Basin 300, and a Two Rivers 200. Also did a season guiding tourists on dog sled trips out of Bettles in the Brooks range.

It's the origin of my screen name.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 09:51:41 AM »
"It's the origin of my screen name."

And here I just thought you were an Asian food fan...